Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 8, 11, 9:38 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 384
Heading to San Jose del Cabo from LAX

I'm trying to find a reasonably priced fare for the 2 hour flight from LA to Los Cabos on 23rd Nov and all I see is flights priced $650 and upwards which is absolutely ridiculous for a 1.5 hr flight! I went to Cabo 2 yrs ago and remember paying $330 or so for my roundtrip so prices have doubled.

Volaris has a flight for $148 roundtrip but it leaves from Tijuana which is an hour's drive from me (I am in OC). It arrives in La Paz. I don't mind making the drive to Tijuana.

Have a few questions - is it safe to cross the border into Tijuana can catch a cab to the airport? What about La Paz - San Jose del Cabo, are there direct buses to/from? How is the safety situation in La Paz area?
k374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 11, 11:09 pm   #2
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I'm trying to find a reasonably priced fare for the 2 hour flight from LA to Los Cabos on 23rd Nov and all I see is flights priced $650 and upwards which is absolutely ridiculous for a 1.5 hr flight! I went to Cabo 2 yrs ago and remember paying $330 or so for my roundtrip so prices have doubled.

Volaris has a flight for $148 roundtrip but it leaves from Tijuana which is an hour's drive from me (I am in OC). It arrives in La Paz. I don't mind making the drive to Tijuana.

Have a few questions - is it safe to cross the border into Tijuana can catch a cab to the airport? What about La Paz - San Jose del Cabo, are there direct buses to/from? How is the safety situation in La Paz area?
There's a taxi stand within 50 meters of the border crossing, and it's perfectly safe, as that is the most patrolled 50 meter in all of Tijuana.

La Paz is pretty safe, and there are certainly buses to San Jose del Cabo, but I am not aware of the schedule, and I believe that they leave from downtown, not from La Paz airport, though.

BTW, you probably would get more responses to this if you posted this in the Destinations section under Mexico
DJGMaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 11, 11:18 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: HYD/CHI
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I'm trying to find a reasonably priced fare for the 2 hour flight from LA to Los Cabos on 23rd Nov and all I see is flights priced $650 and upwards which is absolutely ridiculous for a 1.5 hr flight!
What do you expect? Of course, prices are going to be high during the Thanksgiving period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have a few questions - is it safe to cross the border into Tijuana can catch a cab to the airport?
As the previous poster answered, it is completely safe.
hyderago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 11, 11:32 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyderago View Post
What do you expect? Of course, prices are going to be high during the Thanksgiving period.


As the previous poster answered, it is completely safe.
well, but I can fly to Cancun on the same dates for the exact same price but it is a 6 hr flight so it didn't make much sense.
k374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 11, 9:33 am   #5
Moderator: TravelBuzz! & United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA 1K/1.7MM; SPG Lifetime Plat; HY Plat.; HH Gold; Nat'l Executive.
Posts: 9,835
Please follow the thread as it moves to the Travel->Mexico forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Ocn Vw 1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 11, 9:52 am   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: HYD/CHI
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, but I can fly to Cancun on the same dates for the exact same price but it is a 6 hr flight so it didn't make much sense.
Distances don't mean anything. A trip from LAX to CUN may be $600 while flights from LAX to Europe (several times the distance) are under $1000.

It's all about supply and demand. I guess there is a lot of demand to Cabo San Jose because it's a quick trip (or because it seems safer) than Cancun.
hyderago is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 pm.