Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Travel Safety in Mexico - Interesting Perspective(s)

Travel Safety in Mexico - Interesting Perspective(s)

Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Blocked? Not sure what that is about. Your opinion is always welcome and should be considered in context.

But tourists unfamiliar with Mexico should study a bit and go places where "newbie" Mexico tourists are more comfortable and less at risk of the many things that could happen to a tourist, or perhaps consider visiting with a tour.

OTOH the last two places people attempted to rob me were not in Mexico; they were in Istanbul and Athens.

Originally Posted by gomexico
Twice my comments have been blocked, so here goes a third and final time:

Nelson's comments are those of a Mexico 'road rat,' and often irrelevant to tourists unfamiliar with Mexico. Comments one often reads from expats with a deep connection to Mexico and who gloss-over facts out of a sense that they have to defend their lover. That's my opinion.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 pm

I don't dispute that there are some dangerous places in Mexico, but I felt very safe in Cancun every time I went, including last month. This is despite the killing of the Chief of Tourism Police in Playa del Carmen last year, which is some 20 miles south of Cancun. But I also have lived in cities large and small across the USA, and currently often hear gunfire at night. Every day our small town newspaper has stories about bank robberies, knifings, domestic robbery, auto theft, muggings, thugs robbing pedestrians at all times of day, and more. I did not experience any of that in Mexico. But I've been robbed in rural New York, witnessed multiple arson and theft events in the UK, been robbed in California, found myself in the middle of SWAT team action in rural Illinois, and must regularly submit to degrading searches and inspections by the TSA at USA airports. My Mexican excursions, in contrast, leave me relaxed and rejuvenated. I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot
I don't dispute that there are some dangerous places in Mexico, but I felt very safe in Cancun every time I went, including last month. This is despite the killing of the Chief of Tourism Police in Playa del Carmen last year, which is some 20 miles south of Cancun. But I also have lived in cities large and small across the USA, and currently often hear gunfire at night. Every day our small town newspaper has stories about bank robberies, knifings, domestic robbery, auto theft, muggings, thugs robbing pedestrians at all times of day, and more. I did not experience any of that in Mexico. But I've been robbed in rural New York, witnessed multiple arson and theft events in the UK, been robbed in California, found myself in the middle of SWAT team action in rural Illinois, and must regularly submit to degrading searches and inspections by the TSA at USA airports. My Mexican excursions, in contrast, leave me relaxed and rejuvenated. I highly recommend it.
We felt quite safe travelling in the summer as well.. a very good experience. But we probably won't return in the forseeable future. Lots of other places to discover and travel. Safety outlook is a factor.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:59 pm

Just to mention one place, Queretaro, Qro. is a lovely colonial city two hours northwest from Mexico City. The homicide rate is about the same as Wisconsin*. From Mexico City (Aeropuerto Benito Juarez) a couple of hours or so by Primera Plus bus (we do not have anything as comfortable as these buses in the USA) for about USD $22.

*3.2 per 100,000 residents per year; Sacramento, CA, near where I reside, has over twice that rate at 7.0. Cancn (and the state of Quintana Roo in which it's situated) have a lower homicide rate than Arizona.

For more perspective:

Miami's homicide rate is 19 per 100,000 inhabitants; Washington DC homicide rate is 31 per 100,000 inhabitants; New Orleans' is 74 per 100,000 (source: FBI & Brookings Institute). USA traffic death rate is 11 per 100,000 (USDOT).

Dominican Republic, Panama and Costa Rica homicide rates are respectively 21, 19 and 11 per 100,000. Jamaica, over 60 per 100,000. (source: Brookings Institute Washington D.C.)

The homicide rate in all of Mexico, (INCLUDING the drugs related murders in the north) is 14 per 100,000 habitants; sans drugs related murders the figure is around 11 per 100,000 habitants. (source: Milenio) (That's just over the suicide rate in California!)

That being said, there are definitely places I would avoid in Mexico and manage my risks well. Oh, in the US and elsewhere as well.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
Just to mention one place, Queretaro, Qro. is a lovely colonial city two hours northwest from Mexico City. The homicide rate is about the same as Wisconsin*. From Mexico City (Aeropuerto Benito Juarez) a couple of hours or so by Primera Plus bus (we do not have anything as comfortable as these buses in the USA) for about USD $22.

*3.2 per 100,000 residents per year; Sacramento, CA, near where I reside, has over twice that rate at 7.0. Cancn (and the state of Quintana Roo in which it's situated) have a lower homicide rate than Arizona.

For more perspective:

Miami's homicide rate is 19 per 100,000 inhabitants; Washington DC homicide rate is 31 per 100,000 inhabitants; New Orleans' is 74 per 100,000 (source: FBI & Brookings Institute). USA traffic death rate is 11 per 100,000 (USDOT).

Dominican Republic, Panama and Costa Rica homicide rates are respectively 21, 19 and 11 per 100,000. Jamaica, over 60 per 100,000. (source: Brookings Institute Washington D.C.)

The homicide rate in all of Mexico, (INCLUDING the drugs related murders in the north) is 14 per 100,000 habitants; sans drugs related murders the figure is around 11 per 100,000 habitants. (source: Milenio) (That's just over the suicide rate in California!)

That being said, there are definitely places I would avoid in Mexico and manage my risks well. Oh, in the US and elsewhere as well.
How many beheadings a year do you have in Sacramento?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:26 am

I'm not sure how the form of death affects it - dead is dead, even if you call it muerto.

Fortunately, beheadings are clear indicators of inter-gang rivalry (and I am not sure that's entirely a bad thing). There were six beheadings on one day last year in my original home town - but hundreds of thousands of Mexico City folk go there every weekend anyway, and it hasn't much affected the legitimate citizenry or tourists, or even the many students who live locally a while to attend colleges and universities - only the members of the other gang who were killed and brought into town to put on display as a "keep out" warning.

We just had a five man shoot out (at least one dead) at an upscale shopping center in a gang-related meth sale two miles from where I live in California now.

Originally Posted by jaymar01
How many beheadings a year do you have in Sacramento?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Attempt to compare crime statistics in Mexico with many other developed nations (i.e. the USA) results in apples to oranges comparisons. Mexico doesn't maintain a reliable, inclusive database of crimes. And it sometimes classifies crimes it does count/report differently.

Regions and specific destinations are better to compare, when possible, than nations as a whole. The best guide I've seen that'll help us steer clear of the most serious of the terrorist, warfare and criminal activities is this map read together with the warnings issued by the U.S. Department of State:

http://www.travelweekly.com/uploaded...MEXICOMAP4.pdf

Most of what's happening in Mexico that'll be scary never sees print in the USA. One has to read Spanish and scan the Mexican newspapers to learn these things.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm not sure how the form of death affects it - dead is dead, even if you call it muerto.

Couldn't agree more.. once the bucket is kicked, its kicked.@:-)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by gomexico
Most of what's happening in Mexico that'll be scary never sees print in the USA. One has to read Spanish and scan the Mexican newspapers to learn these things.
I recommend El Alarma...

Seriously though, La Cochinita's family who lives in the State of Mexico just north of El D.F. has been victimized several times over the years including carjacking, armed robbery, home-invasion robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and rape. In the latter the rapist was a member of the city police force. Which reinforces the overall perception held by many Mexicans that their own police are just as bad as the criminals and can't be trusted. So a lot of crimes go unreported.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:57 pm

On September 10 in the demonstration he called in Mexico City's Zcalo, "AMLO" proclaimed he quit his PRD party, that he will not recognize the winning PRI candidate and is starting another party, the National Regeneration Movement; he will dedicate himself to non-violent protest. BBC video. Demonstrations by PRD and their supporters will not be the issue it was six years ago, but one never knows how a crowd will grow and what it will do if there are agents provocateurs, and there are not infrequently these in Mexican demonstrations. Avoid crowds.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:29 pm

Planning a trip to Riviera Maya next month. Is there anything to worry about this time around?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rc89pl
Planning a trip to Riviera Maya next month. Is there anything to worry about this time around?
I would just stay on the resort.

My wife was saying to me that bus routes for tours are dangerous.. i.e. Chitzen Itza.. but I don't believe her, as it was heresay from her mom, from a friend of a friend.

Bus Tours happen everyday. I personally have no problem travelling to Riviera Maya.. In fact, I'm contemplating a return to CUN, as I'm now a Hyatt Diamond Member and there is a Hyatt in Cancun. I liked the Fairmont Mayakoba when I visited there a couple summers ago. Definitely a desireable destination, although I just noticed the Fairmont dropping their rates to unbelievable lows.. perhaps of the tourist situation and instability.

Definitely do your research for up to date information before you go.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Fwiw, I feel safer in DF than I do in Washington, DC. At least in the parts of DF where tourists are likely to be, there tend to be lots of people around most of the time - on the streets, in restaurants/bars, on public transportation, etc.

Obviously, wandering through sketchy neighborhoods like Tepito, or driving around random places in rural Mexico, things may be different. But in the main tourist areas, with a modicum of common sense, I think the risk of bad things happening to you is pretty low.

The biggest risk in my opinion is the drivers.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Fwiw, I feel safer in DF than I do in Washington, DC. At least in the parts of DF where tourists are likely to be, there tend to be lots of people around most of the time - on the streets, in restaurants/bars, on public transportation, etc.

Obviously, wandering through sketchy neighborhoods like Tepito, or driving around random places in rural Mexico, things may be different. But in the main tourist areas, with a modicum of common sense, I think the risk of bad things happening to you is pretty low.

The biggest risk in my opinion is the drivers.
agreed on the assessment of Mexico.

But, I am curious, what parts of DC are you visiting where you dont feel safe? There sketchy parts of the city are in the SE and NE neighborhoods where there are absolutely no tourist destinations unless you are in search of good go-go music.

all the tourist areas are very safe and always have significant police presence. true, it wasnt enough to prevent the crazy lady from painting up Abe Lincoln but she didnt hurt or rob anyone.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Section 107
agreed on the assessment of Mexico.

But, I am curious, what parts of DC are you visiting where you dont feel safe? There sketchy parts of the city are in the SE and NE neighborhoods where there are absolutely no tourist destinations unless you are in search of good go-go music.

all the tourist areas are very safe and always have significant police presence. true, it wasnt enough to prevent the crazy lady from painting up Abe Lincoln but she didnt hurt or rob anyone.
I lived in the DC area (both DC proper and Silver Spring) for years, until 2011. Even in the "nice" areas - Dupont, Georgetown, Woodley Park, Foggy Bottom, etc. - random street crime happens regularly, even in the middle of the day. And that's not even talking about the stuff that goes on in more transitional areas like Columbia Heights or even Mt. Pleasant.

I feel much more comfortable waiting for a bus on Fordham Road in the Bronx late at night than I would walking around much of DC at the same time. While I've never been victimized, I know enough people who have been, and I've had enough of my own run-ins with cracked-out, aggressive, angry people to count my blessings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.