FAA Returns Mexico Aviation to Cat 1

Subscribe
FYI. Not too big a deal, but I'm sure some nervous nellies will all the sudden feel better about flying to Mexico.

"FAA returns Mexico to top aviation rating"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101201/...xican_airlines

Regards
This means Volaris and/or Interjet will open MEX/TLC-FLL (Miami Area) and bring down the fares on that route, which are only served by AA and AM.

Yes, at last, hope to see also Spirit opening this route.
Hopefully, this means that we'll see some more reasonable fares to and from MEX. Fares have been ridiculous ever since the wave of Mexican airline bankruptcies.

In 2007, I booked a roundtrip from Washington, DC to MEX for $250 (and it was a nonstop too!)

Now, the lowest fare that I've seen in several months is $571. The nonstop that I flew in 2007 is even worse -- now it's $978!
The air carriers certainly have taken advantage of the diminished competition flying from the USA into Mexico. Mexicana's bankruptcy was a God-send for them. Then there are those other fees. It all adds-up quickly. For my Chicago to Mexico City and back flights, the fare has about doubled in the past two years. Mexicana will be back flying, probably by the end of this month or early in January. Probably only 3 or 4 USA cities will be served then, but I'm certain Chicago will be one of them ... and I'm hoping Mexicans starts a fare war of sorts (a downward spiral). Mexican budget carrier Volaris will start serving the Chicago market, next week. The recertification as a Cat. 1 is important, for many reasons.