Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

US Passport Expires in July -- Can I go to CUN in March?

Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

My kids' US passports expire in July. I want to take them on USAir to Cancun in March for 4 nights. Will the US Air check in agent or anyone else in going to deny us the ability to travel, as we have non refundable tickets and passports are valid beyond the return date?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by nologic
My kids' US passports expire in July. I want to take them on USAir to Cancun in March for 4 nights. Will the US Air check in agent or anyone else in going to deny us the ability to travel, as we have non refundable tickets and passports are valid beyond the return date?
AFAIK, Mexico requires that passports be valid for 6 months after your return date.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
AFAIK, Mexico requires that passports be valid for 6 months after your return date.
Why provide such misleading informaton if you don't know for certain?

From the Mexican Embassy to the USA website:
Visas for foreigners (INM)

In accordance with dispositions by the National Immigration Institute, in order to enter Mexico US citizens should show any US official ID. Passports are not required.

Nonetheless, US citizens must bear in mind the requirements set by the US government for re-entry. These dispositions can be found at:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...bpmc_2223.html
To the OP: Enjoy your trip!
--
13F
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ

In accordance with dispositions by the National Immigration Institute, in order to enter Mexico US citizens should show any US official ID. Passports are not required.

Nonetheless, US citizens must bear in mind the requirements set by the US government for re-entry. These dispositions can be found at:

--
13F
This site seems to indicate that the the kids don't even need a passport:

Effective June 1, 2009...Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.).

The bottom line is the kids will need new passports by July, but why pay a premium to renew in 1 week, if I don't have to...as long as USAir and Mexican immigration are ok, I am less worried about being abe to re-enter the US as valid citizens with valid passports, than the thought that we would get to the airport in BOS and somehow be denied boarding or get to Mexico and be denied entry.

This whole 6 month expiration thing seems a little weird to me...but it does seem clear that US Passports are not required.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ

--
13F
I used to live in Mexico and I was told by Mexican Immigration officials at MEX that passports must be valid at least six months after the return date a few years ago when my passport was about to expire. Of course, he could have been wrong or rules could have changed, but I would never try to fly to Mexico without at least six months remaining on my passport.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:23 am
Original Poster

I just spoke to some guy in the Mexican Consulate visa section in DC and he said valid passport and return ticket are acceptable...don't need 6 months, assuming he knew what he was talking about.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Thus US PAssport Agency directed me to this page on their website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_970.html

She said the "absence" of any wording within the "ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS" Section regarding extended duration means that you don't need 3 or 6 months on your remaining on your passport. So, her confident and definitive conclusion was that any valid US passport will suffice, irrespective of expiration.

As for returning to the US, she also said that any valid passport will suffice.

Strange how this can be so confusing and people can have conflicting perspectives. Now, maybe I'll will check with US Air and see what they have to say.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Mexico announced that effective March 1, 2010 inbound visitors will be required to present a valid U.S. Passport. Until then, other forms of identification were accepted. This new requirement, which I have yet to experience (I travel on a passport, anyway), appears to apply primarily to air passengers - because I saw an article in today's San Diego newspaper stating the border checkpoints in Mexico aren't staffed sufficiently to handle the large influx of visitors at the land land-crossing points. At the end of the day, though, it's the airlines who often dictate what we can or can't do - because they'll be responsible for transporting back to the USA passengers who don't meet Mexico's criteria, and, therefore, they oftentimes become very conservative on their interprestions of the regulations. I, too, would check first with my air carrier.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gomexico
Mexico announced that effective March 1, 2010 inbound visitors will be required to present a valid U.S. Passport. Until then, other forms of identification were accepted. This new requirement, which I have yet to experience (I travel on a passport, anyway), appears to apply primarily to air passengers - because I saw an article in today's San Diego newspaper stating the border checkpoints in Mexico aren't staffed sufficiently to handle the large influx of visitors at the land land-crossing points. At the end of the day, though, it's the airlines who often dictate what we can or can't do - because they'll be responsible for transporting back to the USA passengers who don't meet Mexico's criteria, and, therefore, they oftentimes become very conservative on their interprestions of the regulations. I, too, would check first with my air carrier.
In then end, USAir (our outbound carrier) also said we just need a valid passport for the date of travel to Mexico...that's what's in their internal systems, so that is what the check in desk people will see and act within...so, no meed to go thru expedited passport renewal. Phew. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
<snip> but I would never try to fly to Mexico without at least six months remaining on my passport.
We just did, this pass weekend, with no problem whatsoever.

My SO's passport expires in 3 months. She had no problem at all.

Regards
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
We just did, this pass weekend, with no problem whatsoever.

My SO's passport expires in 3 months. She had no problem at all.

Regards
Scubadu, Thanks for the update.

Safe travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.