Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:41 pm

I have an upcoming flight from HUX to JFK through MEX on AM/DL. The connection time is 1:10 on my return to JFK. I'm increasingly concerned about this connection since it seems like the flight from HUX is consistently late. I can probably switch to a later flight on AM that would give us a 4 hour connection. Am I being too paranoid about this connection or do you think it's likely a safe connection?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Newman55
I have an upcoming flight from HUX to JFK through MEX on AM/DL. The connection time is 1:10 on my return to JFK. I'm increasingly concerned about this connection since it seems like the flight from HUX is consistently late. I can probably switch to a later flight on AM that would give us a 4 hour connection. Am I being too paranoid about this connection or do you think it's likely a safe connection?
Connecting at MEX, I do not think you're being paranoid if the Huatilco flight is consistently late.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Newman55
I am a little confused - why would you need to change the rez to a later flight? If the original is late then just have them put you on the later flight. What am I missing?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
I am a little confused - why would you need to change the rez to a later flight? If the original is late then just have them put you on the later flight. What am I missing?
There are eight of us and we are flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I am doubtful that there will be room for all of us if we miss the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:25 pm

Apologies for bumping this again, but trying to book a flight for a Machu Picchu trek in 9 months.

I have two options for SAT to LIM - one is an hour and thirty minute connection time in Mexico City, one is an eight hour and twenty minute connection time in Mexico City. Both flights would be on Aeromexico on each itinerary. Could I make the 90 minute connection? I know I have to collect my bags.

My main concern is, if I have an issue, I'm booking this award ticket through FlyingBlue, and I would still need to catch a flight in Lima to get to Cuzco on a different itinerary (I plan on giving myself plenty of buffer). The eight hour connection is probably safest, but I don't really want to spend 8 hours in an airport if I don't have to.

I appreciate any and all help.

Last edited by travlngeng; Jan 26, 2017 at 2:32 pm
Old May 30, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: LH
Hello,

what is the latest procedure in connecting international to domestic? Both flights are AM. Arrival is AMS, connecting flight is to QRO. That will probably leave from remote position.

After the clearing the immigration, has the luggage to be collected and cleared customs? If yes, is there a dedicated luggage drop off or one has to go landside and check in the luggage?
Old May 30, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travlngeng
Apologies for bumping this again, but trying to book a flight for a Machu Picchu trek in 9 months.

I have two options for SAT to LIM - one is an hour and thirty minute connection time in Mexico City, one is an eight hour and twenty minute connection time in Mexico City. Both flights would be on Aeromexico on each itinerary. Could I make the 90 minute connection? I know I have to collect my bags.

My main concern is, if I have an issue, I'm booking this award ticket through FlyingBlue, and I would still need to catch a flight in Lima to get to Cuzco on a different itinerary (I plan on giving myself plenty of buffer). The eight hour connection is probably safest, but I don't really want to spend 8 hours in an airport if I don't have to.

I appreciate any and all help.
I'd consider booking the ninety minute MEX connection (if you can't make it they'll likely put you on the eight hour connection anyway) and leaving the big buffer in Lima - and book the airport Ramada at Lima for that.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shady
Hello,

what is the latest procedure in connecting international to domestic? Both flights are AM. Arrival is AMS, connecting flight is to QRO. That will probably leave from remote position.

After the clearing the immigration, has the luggage to be collected and cleared customs? If yes, is there a dedicated luggage drop off or one has to go landside and check in the luggage?
After immigration collect bags, process customs and with tags showing QRO as your destination, iirc you drop them on the connecting flights belt and proceed to security and your gate.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: 1K
We are arriving in T1 and hoping to meet friends who arrive at T2 5 hours later. We were hoping to wait for them in the bar at the Hilton. Does anybody know if we can we take the Aerotren over to T2 if we just have our boarding passes from our incoming flight?

Thanks to anybody who can answer!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by flymrpuffy
We are arriving in T1 and hoping to meet friends who arrive at T2 5 hours later. We were hoping to wait for them in the bar at the Hilton. Does anybody know if we can we take the Aerotren over to T2 if we just have our boarding passes from our incoming flight?

Thanks to anybody who can answer!
Officially, you can only use the train if you have a boarding pass for an upcoming flight in the terminal you are trying to get to. So, no, a boarding pass from an arrival should not allow you to get on the train.

Fortunately, there is a free "inter-terminal bus" that takes all other people between terminals. It travels between Door 6 of Terminal 1 to Door 4 of T2.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:05 pm

I've booked SCL - MEX - JFK al on Aeromexico in J and due to involuntary flight changes I could possibly change the second flight to be from a 737 to a 787 with the only downside being that the scheduled connection time is 1hr 55min, as opposed to about 4 hours. It looks like both flights are in Terminal 2--does this seem like enough time? I suppose the only downside would be that if we missed the MEX-JFK leg we might be rebooked later in Y instead of J.

edit: inbound flight is scheduled to land at 5:20 AM on a Sunday, departing flight would be scheduled for 7:15 AM
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:31 am

If no checked luggage then I would be quite comfortable with the timing. But I am not you....
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:11 am
pjs

Hi - need to book a flight for my wife from QRO-ATL and it looks like it will be via MEX as the direct flight isn't available using miles. She will be in biz/first so will just have her check bags. She will have about 3 hours to connect. Will she have to collect her bags after the QRO-MEX flight on AM before connecting to the MEX-ATL flight on DL? Will she have to go through immigration or is their direct access from her domestic flight to the lounges to the DL flight? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by pjs
Hi - need to book a flight for my wife from QRO-ATL and it looks like it will be via MEX as the direct flight isn't available using miles. She will be in biz/first so will just have her check bags. She will have about 3 hours to connect. Will she have to collect her bags after the QRO-MEX flight on AM before connecting to the MEX-ATL flight on DL? Will she have to go through immigration or is their direct access from her domestic flight to the lounges to the DL flight? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
The bags will be checked to ATL directly and there is no need to collect them at MEX. No immigration as it is a domestic flight. DL uses AM Salon premier lounge.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:38 am
pjs

Originally Posted by shady
The bags will be checked to ATL directly and there is no need to collect them at MEX. No immigration as it is a domestic flight. DL uses AM Salon premier lounge.
Thanks for the quick response. Probably could have done the 75 minute connection then, but now she can check out the AM lounge and the Centurion Lounge via her Amex Plat so no big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.