Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by txp
Hi everyone,

Is there still an AMEX lounge at MEX? The AMEX website says there are only two centurion lounges (DFW and LAS) but I read somewhere else that there should be one at MEX as well.

Thanks.
Indeed, there is an American Express Platinum Centurión lounge at MEX - it is in Terminal 1 out by the AA / AS etc. 30's gates, and more convenient than the other lounges (e.g. AA Admirals Club) for departures on various airlines. Iirc, it's pretty well marked (perhaps Gate 32) with a lift to the actual lounge.

The www.thecenturionlounge site is awesomely out of date. American Express Centurion lounges exist at
  • USA - Dallas and Las Vegas
  • Mexico – Mexico City
  • Argentina - Buenos Aires
  • Brazil - São Paulo
  • India- Delhi
The MEX lounge has existed "forever" (albeit not in the same location), and I've used the EZE lounge many times.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 2, 2014 at 9:08 am Reason: correct to gate 32
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:29 pm
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Indeed, there is an American Express Platinum Centurión lounge at MEX - it is in Terminal 1 out by the AA / AS etc. 30's gates, and more convenient than the other lounges (e.g. AA Admirals Club) for departures on various airlines. Iirc, it's pretty well marked (perhaps Gate 30?) with a lift to the actual lounge.

The www.thecenturionlounge site is awesomely out of date. American Express Centurion lounges exist at
  • USA - Dallas and Las Vegas
  • Mexico – Mexico City
  • Argentina - Buenos Aires
  • Brazil - São Paulo
  • India- Delhi
Hi,

Yes it is very out of date! Actually there are 4 3 American Express lounges at MEX:
  • T1 landside between gates 8 and F1
  • T1 besides gate 32
  • T1 between gates 17 and 18 (national).
  • T2 between the international and national gates; there's a shop below the HSBC lounge that has an elevator to the lounge. It's also possible to get to it by taking the stairs or the elevator to the level where the Aeromexico and HSBC lounges are (easily visible from the main level) and then there's another flight of stairs up. Other than "VIP lounge" or something like that, which leads to the lounge level generally, it's not well marked on signage. It's about midway between the international and national gate wings, perhaps more towards the international side.

Other American Express lounges in Mexico are:
  • Monterrey (MTY) TA airside, near gate 4, down the escalator
  • Monterrey (MTY) TB landside, take the elevator up from the Starbucks. This lounge has a direct exit to the same security filter that is used for connecting passengers, so there's no need to exit the lounge and go to the regular security filter
  • Toluca (TLC) landside in the national arrivals area between gates 3 and 4. This lounge also has its own security filter to go airside like the MTY TB lounge, but it goes only to the N gates, not the I gates.

I've been to MEX T2, TLC, MTY TA and MTY TB. They're good options to relax, work or catch a refreshment, but they're very different to the DFW and LAS lounges which I've also been to, so don't expect the same thing at least in these. Also, DFW/LAS have free everything but this is not the case in the Mexican ones I've been to, where there are some complimentary items but others have a cost (must be purchased with the AmEx card). The menu of complimentary and paid items varies from one lounge to another. Non-alcoholic drinks and light snacks are free.

The MEX T2 lounge has a main area but there are also additional areas for Platinum and Centurion cardholders.

The MTY TB lounge is very small and can get crowded easily.

It looks like the lounge at MEX T1 national gates 17/18 is new. It's listed in the Mexican website and judging from the photos the decor, furniture and main entrance have a look that is very much like the DFW and LAS lounges, including the living wall.

There was a lounge in Guadalajara (GDL) but it closed two months ago.

Last edited by sw3; Jul 11, 2014 at 1:02 am Reason: Updated info about MEX lounges
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: Asiana Airlines Diamond Plus (*A Gold), Korean Air Skypass, and Japan Airlines JAL Mileage Bank
I have an international flight from ORD to TIJ with a 1h 27m layover in Mex. Do I go through customs in MEX or TIJ? I'm worried if I have to go through customs in MEX that I won't have enough time to make the TIJ flight.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gglave
On June 9th at 3:30 AM I'm arriving at MEX on Avianca 44 (from BOG).

Three hours later, At 6:30 AM, I'm departing MEX for YVR on Air Canada 997.

Do I need to deal with Mexican customs & immigration? Some seem to say yes (due to BOG origin, others say no?)

Is there a Star Alliance lounge available? (I'm *G)

I assume everything's closed at that hour...?
There is no sterile transit; you'll have to clear immigration, customs, and security. Mexico has copied the US methodology.
Thanks.

Is there a bag drop after I clear customs, or do I have to track down Air Canada to re-check my bags for the second leg?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
On June 9th at 3:30 AM I'm arriving at MEX on Avianca 44 (from BOG).

Three hours later, At 6:30 AM, I'm departing MEX for YVR on Air Canada 997.

Do I need to deal with Mexican customs & immigration? Some seem to say yes (due to BOG origin, others say no?)

Is there a Star Alliance lounge available? (I'm *G)
Just passed through MEX early this morning, so I thought I'd post back on my experiences.

- In BOG, AV would not even tag my bag through to YVR. Would only tag it to MEX.

- So procedure was, as others have said:

a) Arrive MEX
b) Clear immigration (with no option on form for 'transit' so I picked 'other')
c) Pick up bags
d) Clear customs (my bags were searched)
e) Make your way upstairs to departures
f) Queue to check-in for next flight
g) Get boarding pass, drop bags
h) Head through security
i) Head to gate

We had a three-hour connection so we were fine. I certainly wouldn't attempt it with anything less than a two-hour connection.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Indeed, there is an American Express Platinum Centurión lounge at MEX - it is in Terminal 1 out by the AA / AS etc. 30's gates, and more convenient than the other lounges (e.g. AA Admirals Club) for departures on various airlines. Iirc, it's pretty well marked (perhaps Gate 32) with a lift to the actual lounge.
Originally Posted by sw3
T1 besides gate 32
Unfortunately, as of July 2014, this is now shuttered.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ouch! Many of us will miss this lounge!

gglave's experience reflects Mexico's particular concern with South American transferring passengers and drugs interdiction; Mexican customs are especially rigorous for these passengers.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:58 am
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
That must be relatively recent... but yes, it is no longer listed in the Mexican plat web. I've just called Amex to ask if it's closed definitely or temporarily (for renovation or relocation) and I was told that it was closed definitely. So the Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
  • T1 International - F1 landside
  • T1 National - 17 and 18
  • T2 - airside mezzanine level

T1 national gates 17/18 is new. The Amex MX plat web had some photos supposedly of it when I wrote my previous post but the photos have been changed since. One of these photos is at http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/after...-de-volar.html and another one (same place, different angle) at http://www.amexweb.mx/detallePromoci...5324&preview=1
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If I want to be airside at MEX Terminal 1 by 11 am (checked-in, through security and immigration), what time do I need to arrive at the terminal? I will be flying AA in J. Is there any priority security/passport control?

This would be on a Thursday.

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
When using elite check-in lines at T1 or T2 with several different airlines it has never taken me more than an hour to check in and get through security and immigration. I always plan on two hours though. I dont recall any priority lines for security at T1 but its been a year since I last used T1.

AA recommends 3 hours prior http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...rivalTimes.jsp
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC
If I want to be airside at MEX Terminal 1 by 11 am (checked-in, through security and immigration), what time do I need to arrive at the terminal? I will be flying AA in J. Is there any priority security/passport control?

This would be on a Thursday.

Thanks!
Personally, I'd arrive at 10:45 . Arriving at 10:30 should give you plenty of time, if you can use the priority check-in line. There is no emigration control if you are a non-resident foreign national, and there also is no priority security. However, there are 2 separate checkpoints; the one that is to the left up a slight ramp as you're exiting the check-in area is IME usually less crowded and also much closer to the Admiral's club.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
How much time is needed for international to international connections at MEX? My inbound flight arrives 1918 (UA 821 from SFO) and outbound is LH 499 leaving at 2040, both from the same terminal. Do I have to go through customs / security again?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by 1k650
Do I have to go through customs / security again?
Yes - See my post from above about Intl - Intl AV=>AC:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23004322-post65.html

Immigration -> Customs -> Security. You may have to check in at LH again as well.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:44 pm

I'm considering the following options for connecting in MEX from the US to ZCL. Any advice?

Aeromar to Aeromexico, 1:16 connection, separate tickets
Aeromar to Aeromexico, 1:50 connection, separate tickets
AA to Aeromexico, 2:50 connection, separate tickets
Delta to Aeromexico, 3:58 min connection, one ticket
Delta to Aeromexico, 1:29 connection, one ticket.

In all but the second option, the Aeromexico flight is the last of the day. Are those <2hr connections reasonable?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:21 am

Mexico City Airport(MEX) transfer...

Hello,

I have a connecting flight at MEX airport (International to International). Do I need to go immigration desk and pick up the baggage, cleared for customs? [same as USA]

I might choose from Houston to MEX(AM or UA), then going to CM airline to Panama city. In this case, even if I need to change for terminal or not, do I have to clear for immigration, customs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.