Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migración) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrén / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrén requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
I´m doing a MR with the first two legs being LIM-MEX-LIM on the same plane. I have an hour to get off and back on. I should have my boarding pass and will only have a carry on bag. Do I really have to go through immigration? If so, can I do it speedily?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by david_33
I´m doing a MR with the first two legs being LIM-MEX-LIM on the same plane. I have an hour to get off and back on. I should have my boarding pass and will only have a carry on bag. Do I really have to go through immigration? If so, can I do it speedily?
I just transmitted Mexico City this morning on the way to sfo from buenos aires. Yes indeed we had to clear customs and immigration. Not having checked bags will save you a lot of time since you won't have to claim it, and drop it off again.

It was the same procedure on the way down to Argentina. I'm fairly certain that all transiting passengers -- whether or not your onward flight is out of mexico -- are required to go through customs and immigration and then go back through security.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Iirc, it's certainly easier with no checked baggage - and I don't know if they are using the system they developed a few years ago for those connecting from countries more likely to have narcotraffic (e.g. Colombia), which at one point had a "special" area to disembark and process.

pollione, thanks for the update!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
Not good news. I expect I´ll have to sprint.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:23 pm

Having read through the thread, I don't think I've seen this combo yet. We're flying AeroMexico Connect (on a Delta codeshare) ZIH-MEX and then Delta from MEX-DTW. We only have an hour between flights. Should I be concerned?

They're both in Terminal 2. We won't have to go through customs or immigration in MEX will we? I assumed that we'd go through Mexican customs/immigration in ZIH and not need to in MEX.

Last edited by barreg; Jan 19, 2014 at 8:35 pm
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:02 pm

Departing Mexico City airport for the U.S., airlines recommend checking in at airport 2 hours before flight. Do I really need to get there at 4:50 am for a 6:50 am flight?

This will be a Sunday.
I am flying Alaska Air business class, carry on bag only.

I assume there's no express lines for business class passengers?

Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Though one would imagine oh-dot early in the morning on a Sunday would be easy, MEX can have lengthy queues at counters, and then through immigration and security (and there are no premium lines iirc), plus it can be a long way out to the gate. I'd say two hours would be good planning, and that is substantiated by others here.

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Departing Mexico City airport for the U.S., airlines recommend checking in at airport 2 hours before flight. Do I really need to get there at 4:50 am for a 6:50 am flight?

This will be a Sunday.
I am flying Alaska Air business class, carry on bag only.

I assume there's no express lines for business class passengers?

Thank you.

While I've not done this using your terminal and airlines, normally you would be on a domestic flight, and then transferring to international - you would indeed be processing immigration at MEX, as well as security, I suspect. (Customs you will be going through at DTW. )

I hope someone who has done T2 domestic arrival to international departure can chime in, but an hour seems tight to me.

Originally Posted by barreg
Having read through the thread, I don't think I've seen this combo yet. We're flying AeroMexico Connect (on a Delta codeshare) ZIH-MEX and then Delta from MEX-DTW. We only have an hour between flights. Should I be concerned?

They're both in Terminal 2. We won't have to go through customs or immigration in MEX will we? I assumed that we'd go through Mexican customs/immigration in ZIH and not need to in MEX.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
It has been about two years since I last flew into T2, but my recollection is it is designed so that all pax from arriving flights are NOT disgorged into the main hall with those waiting to board planes but are kept separately to exit the terminal.

So, you may very well have to exit the secured portion of the terminal and then go back through security to back to the gate.

If you have your boarding passes for DTW one hour should be enough; but if you have to get your boarding passes or they did not check your international travel documents and take your tourist exit card, than I would not be comfortable with one hour as the lines for steerage are long at all hours of every day in Mex. If you have premier access the wait will be significantly less but you still have to clear security and get to your gate.

In T1 departing and arriving pax are not separated in the terminal.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Intl--->Intl Connection at MEX

I am flying from IAH to MEX on United then onward to FRA on Lufthansa. The flights are on separate itineraries. A couple of questions. If I can convince UA in IAH to check the bags through to FRA on LH will I have to recheck them in MEX. Given both airlines are in Terminal 1 will I also have to go through immigration and pass through security?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:11 pm

Just wanted to report back on my experience this past Sunday.

Had an MEX-LAX flight on Alaska departing 6:50 am. Got to the airport at 5:25 am, which turned out to be plenty of time. There was no line for elite check-in, and even the line for regular check-in was pretty short.

There is no immigration check upon departure, and it took me all of 5 minutes to get through security.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
In T1 departing and arriving pax are not separated in the terminal.
Hasn't been the case for years; now int'l arriving pax are funneled directly to immigration.
will I also have to go through immigration and pass through security?
Yes, Mexico has copied the US model - you will need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and re-check your bags. Since there is no re-check area, you'll have to take your luggage upstairs to the LH counters. And after all this you'll need to go through security to get back airside.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
What is the minimum recommended time to arrive at MEX before an international departure? (Just can't seem to find this listed anywhere)
Is departing the historic district during rush hour 2.75 hours before departure going to be enough time?
(took well over an hour to get through immigration coming here, hope it doesn't take that long on departures!)
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

I try for two hours before departure in MEX. It can be easier if you have a Business or First counter to use, but emigration and security can clog up. Some of the more distant gates can take a while to get to as well. Part of it's dependent on time of day, and how it's staffed, of course.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:37 am

If you can check-in online and get a printed boarding pass, then you can skip the counter and proceed directly to a security checkpoint. There is no "emigration" procedure other than surrendering your tourist card or FME to the gate agent (only for e.g. FM2 holders is there a more formal emigration procedure involving an officer - don't worry about this if you're a tourist). Security should not take long. If in T1, gates 29 and higher require an additional 5-7 min walk.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
If you can check-in online and get a printed boarding pass, then you can skip the counter and proceed directly to a security checkpoint. There is no "emigration" procedure other than surrendering your tourist card or FME to the gate agent (only for e.g. FM2 holders is there a more formal emigration procedure involving an officer - don't worry about this if you're a tourist). Security should not take long. If in T1, gates 29 and higher require an additional 5-7 min walk.
Yep, the BP in hand is a great idea!

Emigration in MEX is not tedious - mostly, fees prepaid, good idea to get one's FM2 stamped going out, no big deal. I have had the queues get clogged at "rush" hours. (My preference is do it earlier and hang out at one of the lounges - Sala Centurión is not bad if one has an AMEX card, and I've had people tell me they have been admitted even with an AMEX Gold card.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.