Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How about something to coax me to stay with Marriott?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold

So with the lack of a good promotion I'm changing brands for a while and seeing what else is out there. How about a little something to bring me back?

United surprised me this week with a couple rounds of Regional upgrades for each flight I take. I'd love to see a promotion where if I stay at a Marriott a couple times I get a free night certificate or something. That would be enough for the time being. Heck, make it stack up, or tier it...the more I stay the sweeter the deal gets.

Doubling stay counter does nothing for me...cute, but meaningless. And carryover isn't really that big of deal. Anyway, this is a bout the marginal stays. Give me a little something and you'll earn my business. No specials and I'm shopping the brands to see what else is out there. I know it's just marginal business, but I assume every stay counts these days...or maybe not? I guess it doesn't matter much to me, I don't have any stock in Marriott.
Old May 7, 2009, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by reddirt14
So with the lack of a good promotion I'm changing brands for a while and seeing what else is out there. How about a little something to bring me back?

United surprised me this week with a couple rounds of Regional upgrades for each flight I take. I'd love to see a promotion where if I stay at a Marriott a couple times I get a free night certificate or something. That would be enough for the time being. Heck, make it stack up, or tier it...the more I stay the sweeter the deal gets.

Doubling stay counter does nothing for me...cute, but meaningless. And carryover isn't really that big of deal. Anyway, this is a bout the marginal stays. Give me a little something and you'll earn my business. No specials and I'm shopping the brands to see what else is out there. I know it's just marginal business, but I assume every stay counts these days...or maybe not? I guess it doesn't matter much to me, I don't have any stock in Marriott.
well thats your problem then; it helps a lot more than those like you.. time for you to go find a place that will satisfy you
Old May 7, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Double stay counting pretty much gets me so motivated I start slobbering and have to be sedated. Only thing better is cheapo free nights (as in Hyatt).
Old May 7, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
How about "Marriott Rewards is announcing an industry-first member enhancement, Elite Rollover Nights"? http://www.marriott.com/news/detail....Article=433703

Which follows on all of the other program "enhancements" introduced late last year?

How many more enticements do you care for?!
Old May 7, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Me too!

Originally Posted by jayer
Double stay counting pretty much gets me so motivated I start slobbering and have to be sedated. Only thing better is cheapo free nights (as in Hyatt).
I'm w/you JAYER! I can't think of a better promo. I've cancelled every Hilton property I had scheduled and replaced it with a Marriott from May 11 - June 26th. In fact, I jumped the gun a bit early...in pure excitement. I'm in Modesto and was booked at the Doubletree (exercise room looked really nice) but after this promo, we changed to the SpringHill Suites. Oops....just realized it doesn't count until May 11, but that's okay.

I'm trying to maintain my Diamond w/Hilton and Gold w/Marriott. With this promo, I may be able to pull it off.

Only bad thing I can see is we are staying at the Courtyard in Merced next week if I can convince my coworkers to give up the free breakfast AND microwave at the Hampton! No perks at the Courtyard and I don't think they even have any microwaves....but I'm working on them!!!!

Dawn
Old May 7, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest, Kimpton InTouch
According to this post on Marriott's Insiders website, a new promotion begins June 1 (apparently, registration begins tomorrow); however, the details are scarce:

Greetings, Marriott Rewards Insiders!

Allow me to introduce myself and also share some news hot off the presses. My name is Andrew Gordon – I just recently joined the Marriott Rewards team, and will proudly be your new resource for all things Marriott Rewards Insiders.

I am even more excited to announce the upcoming launch of one of our biggest Marriott Rewards summer promotions to date. This promotion is available to all point-earning members who register to include qualified stays in ANY of our hotels* from June 1 through August 31. We are pleased to offer richer rewards than any summer promotion before. Be sure to sign into MarriottRewards.com this Friday to register and view your exclusive offer.

This promotion will not be broadly announced to our membership until May 12th with our electronic newsletter, but as an Insider, you’re getting the scoop early to be on the lookout for your special offer this summer to earn valuable rewards.

Again, I’m happy to be aboard and I look forward to interacting with all of you and helping you make the most of Marriott Rewards Insiders.

Regards,

Andrew

*Participating hotels: Marriott Hotels & Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites by Marriott, and Marriott Vacation Club International
Old May 7, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by locanmures
According to this post on Marriott's Insiders website, a new promotion begins June 1 (apparently, registration begins tomorrow); however, the details are scarce:
I was told this week on the phone with a Marriott Platinum Concierge (who seems pretty knowledgeable) & he said that the Promo is targeted similarly to the MegaBonus, with different variations of the offer, etc, but that the top offer is for only 25,000 Bonus Points for 20 paid nights. It is apparently not tied to a (VISA) credit card like the fall MegaBonus usually is.

For those of you keeping score out there, the top offer for the 2009 Spring MegaBonus was 50,000 Bonus Points. So this "2009 Marriott Summer Promotion" pails in size to the MegaBonus. Furthermore, last summer's July/August "Power Up Promo" was good for 30,000 Bonus Points for I think just 9 stays. So, I don't know what this guy Andrew Gordon is smoking saying they are going to "offer richer rewards than any summer promotion before".

If my contact at Platinum Concierge is correct in that 25K Bonus Points is the top offer, then you would have to go all the way back to...thats right, last summer to find a "richer summer promotion".

& also, it appears the Marketing department laid off so many people in this recession that it appears the most creative name they could come up with is "2009 Marriott Summer Promotion"
Old May 8, 2009, 7:43 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
It's here! I had a new promo on my page today: earn one free night after 3 qualifying stays starting June 1.
Old May 8, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
so far none of the lame promos have gotten me into a Marriott this year.

Double Qualifying Nights-might be of use but too limited of an earning period

Rollover nights-welllll I was not going to give them that many nights anyway

So while this is just me nothing worth shouting about.
Old May 8, 2009, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
More of the same. I got 15 nights / 20k for my summer promo. *shrug* It amuses me that Andrew Gordon is so excited about it. I wonder if the rest of the Marriott Rewards employees are giggling and thinking "FNG..."

To the OP: my enticements to stay at Marriott have mostly been non-points-related things. The Elite Exclusive Offers, the good timeshare promotions, the Premium Pounds certificates, general consistency of the business hotels, etc. The one major points-related hook for me is the Travel Package awards that yield 120,000 AA miles or 80 WN credits in addition to free hotel nights.

(I'm not ordinarily a big WN flyer, but pair that Travel Package with a few car rentals to hit 100 credits and you have a total of 12 free domestic U.S. airline tickets.)

The primary thing that pushes me away from Marriott is poor treatment of elites at properties they have decided to tag as a "resort". So those Travel Package weeks are awesome if we want to spend a full week in a big city business hotel, but a little less attractive otherwise. At resorts, we're likely to stay. In cities, we're likely to move around more quickly. So it's a bit of a conundrum for our particular travel patterns. (If you love to immerse yourself in one city for a full week, this is a perfect award.)
Old May 8, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I've just checked my account and have been able to register for

"5,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points after every other paid stay – starting with your second stay. You can earn a total of 15,000 points." June 1st - Aug 31st

Not overly exciting.

This is the third promotion on the go; I've also got the Double Nights promotion (May 11 - June 26) and the Marriott Rewards Enrollment Offer (May 1 - July 31)

I'm not complaining, but it's all a bit baffling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.