Holland America Cruises Gone

Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Holland America Cruises Gone

Appears that HAL cruises have disappeared from reward options. Seems that only cruise certificates are available.
Don't like this change.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
I just noticed this a few hours ago. I waited on hold for twenty minutes trying to get some info. I was told to call back tomorrow. I am very disappointed that there was no notice. Is this typical of MR to drop rewards suddenly? I was planning on booking this reward.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat.
I just spoke to a Rewards representative. The contract with HAL expires on Dec 31 so they aren't allowing anyone to redeem points for a HAL cruise at this point because the 2009 contract has not yet been negotiated. There's not enough time for them to process any more 2008 rewards since there are only two weeks remaining in the year.

It is likely that the HAL contract will be renewed for 2009 but it's not a sure thing. The rep suggests that we check back in late January.

(My own prediction is that the redemption requirements will jump dramatically in keeping with their overall program devaluation strategy. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sure not holding my breath.)

We can still redeem points for certificates to book cruises via cruisesonly.com. A $1,000 certificate requires 145,000 points and it can be applied to the cost of pretty much any cruise on any line. Cruisesonly.com offers competitive pricing.

So, basically the cruise certificates operate very much like gift certificates and cruisesonly.com applies the value to whatever cruise you book at the lowest/best price at the time.

The value of these certificates, point-wise, isn't a very good deal compared to the HAL redemption rates that we're used to. But those low HAL redemptions might be a thing of the past.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

It is likely that the HAL contract will be renewed for 2009 but it's not a sure thing. The rep suggests that we check back in late January.

We can still redeem points for certificates to book cruises via cruisesonly.com. A $1,000 certificate requires 145,000 points and it can be applied to the cost of pretty much any cruise on any line.

The value of these certificates, point-wise, isn't a very good deal compared to the HAL redemption rates that we're used to. But those low HAL redemptions might be a thing of the past.[/QUOTE]

Rep I spoke to said it was unlikely for HAL contract to be renewed, hence the use of a travel agency.

To say the value of the certs aren't a very good deal is an understament.
Example: Previously cruise to Alaska on HAL- 165000 points; Today for comparable accomadations on cruiseonly, about $2200 needed; therefore you would need 2 - $1000 certificates @ 145,000 points and a $250 certificate @ 70,000 points; a total of 360,000 points; thats 165,000 under the old program and 360,000 under the new!

Enhancement or Rip off??

At least offer a $2000 certificate at a reduced point level:
example:
now - 70,000 points = $250 certificate
110,000 points = $500 certificate
145,000 points = $1000 certificate
Make available:
175,000 points = $1500 certificate
200,000 points = $2000 certificate
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
To say the value of the certs aren't a very good deal is an understatement.
I'm reserving judgment until we know for sure that the contract won't be renewed. Or if it is renewed, what the redemption levels will be.

But I've got a sick feeling about this.

In just two more weeks I would have had enough points for an Alaska cruise. After months of watching my "progress chart" and getting more and more excited, the rug was pulled out from under me.

I feel like a chump for leaving HHonors and Hyatt. Earlier this year I switched to Marriott mainly because of the HAL relationship and also the 7-day hotel packages. But it's been a steady stream of bad news ever since.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
If it doesn't come back with a reasonable points update, this is another depressing reminder of how much the points are being devalued.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'd been tracking this issue for awhile. HAL cruises are one of the only things I trade my points in for, and I got worried when that new partner showed up with the terrible points value but flexibility for any cruise on any cruise line. Here's the e-mail I got back to my recent inquiry:

The research from our Marketing Division of Marriott made a difficult decision to concentrate on cruises.only for our cruise certificates. It gave our members many more options of locations and cruise line companies. I am sorry that you are displeased because your opinions are always important to Marriott. Holland America is no longer going to be a direct partner of Marriott Rewards.
Sincerely,
Marriott Rewards Partner Support

I supported Marriott's decisions before in terms of changes and "enhancements" to the program because they didn't affect me directly. This one does, and I'm not happy.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Honors
Angry

Originally Posted by Mort
I'm reserving judgment until we know for sure that the contract won't be renewed. Or if it is renewed, what the redemption levels will be.

In just two more weeks I would have had enough points for an Alaska cruise. After months of watching my "progress chart" and getting more and more excited, the rug was pulled out from under me.

I feel like a chump for leaving HHonors and Hyatt. Earlier this year I switched to Marriott mainly because of the HAL relationship and also the 7-day hotel packages. But it's been a steady stream of bad news ever since.

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]

I just joined FlyerTalk so I could share my conversation today with a Marriott Rewards representative. He told me that there would NOT be a renewal of the points contract with HAL. I called them today because I had been saving up my points for a HAL cruise, had 400,000+, and wanted to request my Rewards certificate for a Spring 2009 cruise. The MR points rep (would hate to have his job if many people are calling about the disappearance of HAL cruises) told me lots of members were wanted more flexibility as to duration and location of cruise redemptions, so they added the certificate program discussed earlier in this thread. Which is a very lame value compared to the HAL cruises, I pointed out. He agreed. I asked why they couldn't have BOTH cruise options, reminding him that for many years members had a choice of Carnival or HAL cruises. He didn't know why HAL contract wasn't being renewed, or whose decision it was.

I used my MR points for 2 HAL cruises in the past, and they were wonderful. I noticed in the literature that HAL sends past customers that they are starting their own points program affiliated with VISA. Maybe that had something to do with it. For 150,000 points with HAL VISA, you get a cruise worth $3000, among other options. Compare to the flaky Marriott generic cruise certificates, with 145,000 points "buying" only a $1000 certificate.

I shared with the Rep I was VERY disappointed that loyal Marriott customers weren't told about this IN ADVANCE last Fall, so we could have used our points before HAL was dropped from the program. He was very polite (as was I) but he really didn't seem to care how I felt.

Seems very counter intuitive that Marriott corp would try to save money by treating its loyalty customers so poorly.

I think I may switch my Marriott Rewards VISA to Holland America's and start staying at Hiltons.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulampwrs

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]

HAL starting their own points program affiliated with VISA. For 150,000 points with HAL VISA, you get a cruise worth $3000, among other options. Compare to the flaky Marriott generic cruise certificates, with 145,000 points "buying" only a $1000 certificate.

I think I may switch my Marriott Rewards VISA to Holland America's and start staying at Hiltons.
Paula,
I, as you, am totally PO'ed that HAL trips are gone. Have taken 3 with the family (two rooms each) and they have been tremendous trips.

However, switching to Hilton exclusively for this reason, may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Hilton offers cruses as rewards but only with Carnival. Trust me, if you've been on HAL, and you are through your twenties, you don't want to go Carnival.

As far as the HAL Visa is concerned, spending $150,000 for a $3000 cruise is a 2% return. Not a bad return on a credit card. Depending on the length of time it will take you to generate $150,000 in purchases, you may want to factor the "future value" into the equation vrs a number of cards which may offer an immediate 1% back.

Offering a solution to our dilemna would be, as I mentioned earlier, a compromise, which may equate to a $2000 certificate at a 200,000 point level.

Are you listening Marriott?!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
As far as the HAL Visa is concerned, spending $150,000 for a $3000 cruise is a 2% return. Not a bad return on a credit card.
Is the $3,000 you're quoting based on the brochure rate? If so, the real value would be much less than that because with a little research it's possible to book cruises for much less than the brochure rate.

The $1,000 certificates can be used on any deal at any time, and therefore can be a much greater value than they seem at first glance.

For example, last month my wife and I went on a 10-night RCL cruise out of Tampa. I found a deal for $509 each (nice!), but at that time I didn't have enough MR points for a certificate. But theoretically I could have booked that same deal with Cruises Only and used my certificate for all but $18 of the cruise price. So... a 10-night cruise for only 145,000 points out of the port closest to my home! (Granted, I still had to pay taxes on top of that.)

The more I think about it, I actually like the flexibility of the certificates. The flexibility allows me to save money in other ways by choosing the departure port of my choice, or the off-season, or taking advantage of whatever cruise line happens to be offering the best deal.

In this year's economy (and probably for several years to come) there are going to be some TREMENDOUS deals on cruises. The cruise certificates are as good as cash when we find a great deal.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:37 pm

Actually, there are great deals on cruises right now. Princess has a 2 for 1 offer on Alaska so it's probably not the best time to burn points on cruises unless that's the only way you can go. Better to wait until there are no discounts when the economy is better and take advantage of the cheap cruise rates almost everywhere right now by just paying (again unless it just isn't an option)

Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
So I landed here because I was looking for the HAL cruises on the MR website today and couldn't find them. Honestly, this pretty much takes away any loyalty I'll have to Marriott going forward. It is extremely frustrating that as a Plat Prem. we could not have been given a courtesy notice that this benefit would no longer exist after 2008. The cruises.com offers are a joke in my book. HAL cruises were probably the biggest reason I continued to stay at Marriotts. Today I'll shop the HH and SPG benefits...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by fishintheobx
The cruises.com offers are a joke in my book.
I'm curious... why are they a joke in your book? Given some of the great sales prices that are (and will) be going on this year, you can get very good value out of the $1000 cruise certificates. And best yet, you can choose exactly which cruise line and which ports you want. Why are you so against it?

And by the way, when you start looking at Hilton Honors to see what THEY are charging for cruises, you're in for a shock. They've upped the point levels a LOT in the last few years. They are now charging (for a 7-day Caribbean cruise 555,000 to 985,000 points depending on the season and ship).

And HHonors is charging 480,000 points for a $1,000 cruise certificate, compared to Marriott's 145,000. I know it's easier to earn points with Hilton, but not THAT much easier.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
I'm curious... why are they a joke in your book?
Because for 180k points my wife and I would take a 7-day HAL cruise on one of their Vista-class ships. By the time I paid port taxes, fuel-surcharge, and an upgrade to a VC cabin with a balcony my out-of-pocket expense was about $780 on a cruise valued at $3000.

But just as your mileage may vary, that's why I said, "in my book". I really don't have a desire to go on another cruise line. I've been on many over the past 15 years and I've fallen in love with the service and atmosphere that HAL provides. Granted prices have dropped, but now my cruise I want is valued at $2600. And while I'd have no out-of-pocket expense, it costs me 400k points for enough cruisesonly certificates..

220,000 points is worth a lot more than $780 to me...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Because for 180k points my wife and I would take a 7-day HAL cruise on one of their Vista-class ships. By the time I paid port taxes, fuel-surcharge, and an upgrade to a VC cabin with a balcony my out-of-pocket expense was about $780 on a cruise valued at $3000.

But just as your mileage may vary, that's why I said, "in my book". I really don't have a desire to go on another cruise line. I've been on many over the past 15 years and I've fallen in love with the service and atmosphere that HAL provides. Granted prices have dropped, but now my cruise I want is valued at $2600. And while I'd have no out-of-pocket expense, it costs me 400k points for enough cruisesonly certificates..

220,000 points is worth a lot more than $780 to me...
^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.