Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Changes to Travel Packages Etc in 2009: Consolidated Point Burner's Guide

November 28, 2008
Hi everyone! With such a massive change in the structure of the Marriott Rewards program coming January 15, 2009; and with some of us (including myself) having a large amount of points that it may be advantagous to figure out how to optimally burn before the program changes, I decided I needed to go back and review everything that has transpired since the October 2008 announcement of these changes.

I have gotten confused about deadlines, what changes can and cannot be made by certain dates for Travel Packages, Hopper Awards, etc. This has turned out to be a complicated process and I know that Marriott Concierge has worked hard to get our detailed questions answered.

I'm going to start off with posting a a consolidation of the most relevant posts by Marriott Concierge on these topics. I've added the relevant parts of MC's posts on these topics in chronological order below (I thought about organizing them by topic, but since the answers to many questions have been evolving as Marriott Rewards has worked out some of the details, I think chronological order is best.) I will do my best to find time later to add a topical directory. Please chip in with this if you can find the time.

Hopefully, if others are interested in making decisions on whether to Burn Points, and if so, how to Burn their points, we can turn this thread into a focussed guide on this topic.

Regards,
GrizShel

Last edited by GrizShel; Nov 28, 2008 at 8:34 am
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:19 am

Consolidated Marriott Concierge Comments, Part 1.

Note:
First line is the thread title.
Second line is the post date and time and the post # in the thread.
Third line is the Flyertalk handle of the poster.
Some parts of posts irrelevant to the subject of this thread are omitted.

No Blackout Dates - 2009 Program Enhancements
Oct 20, 08, 4:29 pm #1
Marriott Concierge
No Blackout Dates - 2009 Program Changes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on feedback from our members, I am excited to announce a number of program changes being made effective January 15, 2009 – and we are announcing it here first. The official announcement will be made tomorrow on Marriott.com and by email.

Blackout dates will be eliminated. Starting on January 15, 2009, every hotel will have standard rooms available for redemptions every day. While this does not mean you will never again have difficulty booking a redemption stay, it does mean these difficulties will be rare. Hotels will only be able to limit the number of rooms available for redemption on a very limited number of nights.

Platinum Elite Bonus will increase from 30% to 50%. In order to strengthen our elite program and recognize our most valuable members, the platinum bonus will increase from thirty to fifty percent of the base points earned.

Redeem for 4 nights and get the 5th redemption free. You will also see changes in the way hotel rewards are priced. We will migrate to a one night award structure with redeem for 4 nights, receive the 5th night free award option.

We are very excited about these program changes. I encourage all of you who are interested in knowing more to look over the information that has been posted online at: http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?...tRoomAvailable and let us know what questions you have. It is our goal to make this program upgrade as simple and rewarding as possible.

Regards,

Ira

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 21, 08 at 4:38 pm. Reason: reader feedback

Oct 20, 08, 6:38 pm #16
Marriott Concierge

Many of you have pointed out there is an element of point inflation. I can not say that this change will be better for all of you. The fifth night free enhancement was brought on, in part, to mitigate this effect. For Platinum members this effect is further mitigated by the increased elite bonus. You may be spending more, but you will also be earning more.

The primary goal of this change is to make reward redemption more accessible to all Marriott Rewards members.

For those of you, who do not have the luxury of booking redemptions stays significantly in advance, or can not use your points for long stays at a single location, I trust you will find these changes rewarding. Using your points for a spur of the moment weekend trip will be easier, and adding a night to your stay will be simpler because instant redemption will not require anytime rewards.

Ira

Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 21, 08 at 5:46 pm. Reason: Did not put name on it

Oct 22, 08, 11:31 am #133
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by VA1379
Marriott Concierge
1. Allow us to book travel packages and use them for future reservations. Yes, it is a one time hit for Marriott, but it would lessen the anger over the changes.
2. Let us book a travel package for 5 night stays as well as 7 nights. I think this would be a nice choice, especially for the higher category properties. ]]

I have a bit of good news for you. Travel packages and hopper rewards ordered prior to January 15th can be used for reward stays booked on or after the 15th. If you call Guest Services on January 14th, (it may be a little busy if you all decide to do this) and order as many travel packages as you have points for, the mileage will be transferred to the airline you chose and you will have twelve months from the date of issuance to use the hotel portions.

Regarding the creation of five night travel package reward, I have sent your suggestions on and will keep you informed on what I find out.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by sziv50
Marriott Concierge - can you address what will be done to protect against hotels manipulating their inventory to reduce the number of standard rooms. This is the same exact problem that existed with the Stay Anytime awards. All a property had to do was change the room type to "Deluxe" or some other room that is almost identical to the "Standard Room" to get around the requirement to offer the room as Stay Anytime. I don't see how this will change with the current program. In fact, now a hotel has even more incentive to re-classify it's rooms and reduce the number of standard rooms available.]]

This is a good question. Without mentioning specifics, (mostly because I don’t have that many of them regarding policing the changes on the hotels side) I can say that I have seen the training that was sent to the hotels and what they are required to do is very clear. One advantage to the new system is hotels will be reimbursed for redemption stays at a much higher rate than they used to, so there really is very little incentive for them to try and cheat the system.

Ira

Oct 22, 08, 6:00 pm #167
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmanbar
[[I'm curious as to whether Marriott considered the issue of the Category 5 Free night Certificate posted to each card holders' MR account commencing with their second year as a cardholder. ]]

I am not aware of any plans to change this benefit. You will still receive the same category 5 certificate on your anniversary. Since this award is only valid for six months, having no black out dates and only limited capacity controls should make this particular reward a better value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKO
[[What about 7 night stay certificates (ordered without an travel package)? Will they still be good in 2009? One year expiration also? ]]

Travel packages are unique because they are set up so that they can be ordered without a reservation, allowing for the stay and flight to be coordinated more easily. All other non-promotional hotel rewards are attached to a reservation and when the reservation is cancelled so is the reward. On the other hand, the hotel portion of a travel package is not canceled with the reservation. Instead it floats in your account until it is attached to a new reservation. The only way to use the current seven night rewards next year is to book your stays prior January 15th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandaler
[[+1 here. We bought two MVCI weeks years ago strictly for the points exchange. I wish I had on paper the verbal promises made at that time as to how generous the points exchange would be in getting hotel stays and travel packages. The only written promises were the (fixed) point exchange value - which have been severely depreciated in value over the years. How about the MC addressing this issue.

We are still communicating with MVCI on this issue. I will post something when I have something concrete.]]

Quote:
Originally Posted by awb824
[[In the past, we have been able to extend the hotel portion of the travel package each year for another year if we were not able to use it. Will this option still be available? ]]

If you are wanting to know if you will be able to extend one of the current travel packages after January 15th, effectively extending its expiration until some time in 2010, the answer is “no you will not be able to.”

Please let me know if I missed the point on this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holocker
[[Will I be able to use a travel reward package for current CAT 7 Hotels- that will become a Cat 8 Hotel- if I book the room before Jan 15. ]]

Like all category changes, if you book before the hotel category changes the original price at the time you booked will be honored.

Ira

Oct 22, 08, 6:12 pm #171
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by LKO
Marriott Concierge-
Would you please clarify the following:

So you can't book a Euro Hopper award now, then make reservations for Europe hotels after Jan. 15 when they are category 8 properties?

You have to have the Hopper award before Jan. 15 and the reservations confirmed before the change to a category 8 property?

Thanks! ]]

I think you understand this correctly.

For clarity I will give you an example.

If you want to use your hopper reward at the Paris Champs Elysees next year, (it will be a category 8) you need to book your stay prior to the change. If you book your stay prior to the change, then after the 15th of January change your dates or decide to stay at a different category 8 hotel, you will need to order the new rewards. However, if you wanted to use the hopper for the Paris hotel La Defense Renaissance, or the Hotel Le Parc – Trocadero Paris, you could use the hopper without making your reservation before January 15 (because they will not be category 8 Properties).

*Edit* I have looked into this further. If you order a European Hooper reward prior to the change you will be able to use it at any European property regardless of when you book. As long as the expiration date has not expired on the reward and the stay is booked for reward redemption you will be able to use it. This includes all the properties that will become category 8. *End Edit*

Ira

Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 23, 08 at 11:16 pm. Reason: Missinformation

Oct 23, 08, 10:44 am #190
Marriott Concierge
Quote:
[[Originally Posted by TOMSURFER
1) At the moment if I order a travel package with 120K miles (235,000/250,000/270,000 points) and then do not use the hotel portion I get a redeposit of 10,000 25,000 and 40,000 for a cat(1-5) cat(6) and cat(7) respectively. Can you confirm that this would still apply in the scenario you mention where a hotel portion ordered before January 15th is not used within 12 months and you no longer let it be extended.

2) Will we be able to extend the hotel portions of travel packages after 12 months for travel packages ordered from 15th January (as we could do before this set of changes)

3) Under the new pricing of 270,000/300,000/330,000/360,000 for a 120,000 miles travel package what will the redeposit amount be if a hotel portion is not extended/cancelled. ]]

Question 1: Yes, if you cancel the hotel portion of your travel packages, even after January 15, the current value for the hotel portion will be reimbursed. The values, however, vary widely depending on the amount of miles you get from the package. As you pointed out, a category five ranges from 10 thousand to 40 thousand points. It is usually a much better value to redeem them for even a one or two night stay than turn them back in for points.

Question 2: The new packages issued after the 15th will be extendable, provided there are no unforeseen changes to the program.

Question 3: I will look into this. While I imagine there will be some sort of option to turn the hotel potion back in, I have no numbers on what the value will be.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by slowly
Why? The Euro hopper certificate, IIRC, says "x free nights at any hotel in Europe". No reference to hotel category whatsoever. And "any" is a very unambiguous word… ]]

This is a very good point; I may have spoken to hastily. Let me look into this and get back with you.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by crazyhorse
So what happens if I order an award and do not end up using it? I understand that these are actually paper certificates, no? Do they come with an expiration date on them?
In the event they are no longer honored, do I get my points back (150K) if I dont end up using any of them? If I use one of the 3 certificates and not the others, what would be my options? ]]

If you turn in all portions you will get the full value back. If you are only turning in one portion the value is decreased. A two night portion is 33,250 points and a three night is 46,000 points.

Ira

Last edited by Marriott Concierge; Oct 23, 08 at 10:53 am.

Oct 23, 08, 11:08 pm #203
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by slowly
I'm questioning Marriott's ability to retroactively change T&C on certificates already issued which state that they are valid at any Marriott hotel in Europe. ]]

I have looked into this further, and I did in fact speak hastily. If you order a European Hooper reward prior to the change you will be able to use it at any European property regardless of when you book. As long as the expiration date has not expired on the reward and the stay is booked for reward redemption you will be able to use it. This includes all the properties that will become category 8.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by frisbeeace
Many of us have unused hotel certificates that were part of a travel package and were issued BEFORE these new rules were announced. We were confidently saving those certificates for the future in the knowledge that they were (are?) extendable at any time. Those certificates may have already expired or may expire soon. So my questions are:

1. What can we do with those certificates that we thought were extendable and will expire before we are able to use them?

2. Can we keep them alive by making a reservation up to Jan 15th even if they expired before that date?

3. What will happen with a certificate that is already attached to a reservation if you need to change dates or hotel beyond its expiration date?

4. Wouldn´t it make sense to establish a deadline for all certificates issued under the old T&C by January 15th, 2010 giving exactly 1 year after the start of the new program? ]]

Question 1: If the hotel portion of a travel package cannot be used you can turn it back in for some points. To be honest, the points you get for returning the hotel portion of a travel package is pretty insignificant. You usually get a better value if you use them for a weekend somewhere when you can get a way for seven nights.

Question 2: You do not need to make a reservation to extend a travel package. Contact guest services and let them know you have a hotel portion of a travel package that will be expiring and ask them to reissue it for you. That will change the valid date to a year from when it is reissued. Keep in mind you need to do this before January 15th.

Question 3: If you think this may happen I recommend you call sometime in January (before the 15th) explain that you are uncertain about the dates and would like to have your hotel portion reissued so that the expiration date is a year form when you call.

Question 4: Some of the current travel packages will be issued after January 15th in order to accommodate redemption reservations made prior to the change. These certificates though will have a final expiration date of sometime around January 15th 2010, regardless of when in 2009 they were ordered.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by goingbananas
Here is my question. I ordered 3 travel package codes 0830 for Category 1-5 at 235,000 points. I was going to use them this year, but plans have changed.

Now, lets say, I want to upgrade the certificates to a cat. 6 hotel using points in the springtime. Will the additional points (to go from a cat 5 to a 6) cost me 15,000 per certificate (the old rate, 235K for cat 5 to 250K cat 6) vs the new rate, now being 65,000 per certificate. (the old rate 235K I redeemed at for cat 5 to the new rate of 300K for a cat 6 change)? ]]

Technically speaking if you wait until after the change to upgrade the certificate, the old rewards will not be available (meaning you would pay the higher amount) unless you have a reservation using points that was booked prior to the change. My recommendation is that, if possible, you do the upgrade before the change.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by LKO
Marriott Concierge-

I have an e-certificate from a travel package (category 5) that expires Oct. 2009. Currently it is linked to a March 2009 reservation, but I might not be able to take that trip. I know I can make reservation changes (subject to availability of course) until Jan. 14, but I'm worried my plans may change after that date. I hate to make 20 reservations now just to cover all my options, but I also don't want to have to pay additional points in 2009 to use this category 5 certificate.

Questions:

1) Prior to Jan. 15, can I extend this certificate so it is good until Jan. 14, 2010 or at least Dec. 31, 2009?

2) What happens if I find availability and want to use it at a category 5 in July 2009? Will there be an additional charge for extra points? ]]

Question 1: Yes, see the information above regarding extending the rewards.
Question 2: As long as you have a category 5 certificate and the hotel is a category 5 at the time you booked it, you will not need to spend any additional points.

Ira

Last edited by GrizShel; Nov 28, 2008 at 8:29 am
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:20 am

Consolidated Marriott Concierge Comments, Part 2.

Note:
First line is the thread title.
Second line is the post date and time and the post # in the thread.
Third line is the Flyertalk handle of the poster.
Some parts of posts irrelevant to the subject of this thread are omitted.

Oct 24, 08, 9:18 am #206
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Ira....how about my question on SUITES? ]]

The upgrade rewards are primarily there to upgrade to a two bedroom or penthouse suite at a Residence Inn or TownPlace Suites. A few other hotels, mostly resorts, use them for upgrades. Even when they are accepted at full service properties they generally only upgrade you to better view and not necessarily a suite. I am not aware of any plans to create new rewards redeemable for suites in the near future.

Ira

************************************************** **********************************
Oct 27, 08, 2:27 pm #259
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by swag
Marriott Concierge - can you alleviate my worries? Can you give some more specifics on what to expect for the limited award nights? Will Marriott publish a list of properties and nights that are limited for 2009, once it's finalized? ]]

I think the best I can do for you is to explain in greater detail what is currently happening and what will happen after January 15th in regard to capacity controls.

Currently all 365 nights of the year at all 3,000 plus hotels have restrictions on how many standard rooms can use reward points. On blackout dates no rooms are open for reward redemption. All other nights of the year hotels are required to open a certain percentage of their rooms for standard redemption. The percentage of rooms hotels are currently required to set aside on all non-black out nights is the same percentage they will have to set aside on the handful of nights when they will be allowed to limit redemption. For example, if XYZ hotel’s current mandatory inventory for reward redemption was 20 rooms per night on all non-blackout dates, when the program changes they will be required to offer at least 20 rooms for reward redemption on the hand full of nights when they have been allowed to limit inventory. On all other nights the hotel must release all of their standard rooms for reward redemption.

Oct 27, 08, 3:41 pm #267
Marriott Concierge
You may be interested to know that Ed French is responding to members' questions here: http://www.thefineprint.marriott.com...nt/14000000000 (You will need to sign in to your online Marriott Rewards account.)

Best regards,

Drew

Oct 27, 08, 3:41 pm #267
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKO
Marriott Concierge-
Back on page 16 (post #227) I posted a question. I think it got lost over the weekend. Could you please respond to the following (copied from my previous post):

There has been no change. Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort and Spa, Wailea Beach Marriott, JW Camelback Inn, & JW Marriott Capri properties will be allowed limited black out dates.

Elite Only European Sampler Reward: Ordering Deadline Reminder
Nov 6, 08, 11:11 am #1
Marriott Concierge
Elite Only European Sampler Reward: Ordering Deadline Reminder
Because there has been a fair amount of discussion regarding the Elite Only European Sampler reward I wanted to post a quick reminder about them. You cannot wait until January 14th to order these rewards. This reward is a special offer for to elite members only and the offer expires December 31st, 2008. Below is the link to information about this reward.

The current travel packages will be available to order without a reservation on and through January 14th. Please let me know if you have questions

Regards,

Ira

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mor...points=150,000

A couple of Travel Package questions
Nov 13, 08, 12:02 pm #8
Marriott Concierge
Quote:
[[Originally Posted by rfrost
1. With the forthcoming "enhancements," it looks like I'm going to have to claim the 270K Travel Package I've been saving for in 2009, a bit sooner than I had planned. Since right now it looks unlikely that I'll be able to get away for a full 7days, is there a problem with booking only 4, 5 or 6 nights and forfeiting up front the unused night(s)? (While I'm not thrilled about losing them, I think I'm still better off doing so than suffering major dilution, particularly as I have my eye on a couple of properties slated to move to Category 8.) Or booking all 7 and then leaving a day or two early? ]]

You can book your reservation for fewer nights than are indicated on your certificate. The unused nights, as you mentioned above, are forfeited.

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by Just Passing Thru
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a related series of questions.

When one redeems a travel package award, a 25% cert for Hertz rental is included. Does that cert have any redeposit value?

If not, then does it have any value over on Coupon Connection? Have such things been traded in the past?

Final question; if the cert isn't redepositable and if it has no trade value, then (a) are they transferable as gifts and (b) how long are they normally good for?

No, I'm not making a trade offer. No need to line up.

TIA for all replies. ]]

The Hertz portion of the travel package does not have any point value, and is non-transferable.

However, transferable, in this case means, the certificate will have a name printed on it. The Hertz portion can be issued in any name you choose, and whoever’s name ends up on the certificate is the only one who can use the reward.

Ira

Nov 14, 08, 12:13 pm #391
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by GrizShel
Marriott Concierge, I know you probably can't say anything about whether management is seriously considering anything like this, but can you please let me know that this has been taken and presented to those who might have the power to make such changes as this?

Also, is there anything else we should be doing to voice these concerns to make sure we're heard loud and clear? I'd like to have the confidence that we have been listened to, even if it turns out in the end that Marriott Rewards decides to go forward with these changes as is. ]]

I can promise you that what is said here on flyer talk is read at many levels throughout Marriott. It has and continues to be a valuable resource for customer feedback. Over the years I have seen several positive changes occur because of comments made by the flyertalk community.

With that said I do not want to give anybody the impression that we are currently considering repealing these program changes. In looking at last years hotel redemption activity, 57% of hotel redemptions were for a single night, 22% were for two night stays, 10% were for 3 nights stays, adding up to a total 89% of all hotel redemptions occurring for stay that were 3 nights or shorter. Fewer than 3% of hotel redemptions were for seven night stays. In light of this information as well as other indicators we felt that our program needed to be friendlier to members who enjoyed redeeming hotel rewards for the spur of the moment weekend getaway or last minute emergency trips. These were the travelers who had the most trouble with black out dates and capacity controls. To this end the benefit of this program is that inventory will be wide open for reward redemption.

Your comments, positive or negative, on these threads are extremely valuable and ultimately will help create an even better rewards program. I can not promise you 5 night travel packages for non-MVCI owners, or more points for exchanging your timeshare week. I can promise you that these, as well as the many other suggestions voiced on this thread have been heard and are being taken seriously. I encourage all of you to continue expressing you concerns and ideas.

Ira

Is Marriott Rewards about to be cancelled--Bankruptcy --or just Desperate?
Nov 18, 08, 9:26 am #17
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by sunnyjl
I was inquiring about Pointsaver awards for RC, and the rep told me that MR is restructuring their reward redemption program and Pointsavers would likely not be offered anymore... ]]

PointSaver Rewards will continue to be offered at up to a 33% points discount off Hotel Rewards. http://www.marriott.com/rewards/lra-faq.mi#question6

Best regards,

Drew

Platinum Line: Travel Packages will no Longer be Offered after Jan. 15, 2009
Nov 18, 08, 4:56 pm #7
Marriott Concierge
The Hotel + Air Travel Package Rewards are not being discontinued. They will continue to be offered after January 15, 2009. The Hopper Rewards, however, expire December 31, 2008 (as aaupgrade mentioned) and will no longer be offered after January 15, 2009. My apologies for any misinformation provided.

Best regards,

Drew

Nov 21, 08, 1:29 pm #459
Marriott Concierge

Quote:
[[Originally Posted by dayone
I agree. My rule of thumb is avoid posts that extrapolate number data to prove a point. That rule seems to be especially sound on this thread. ]]

dayone, I should have sought your wisdom before creating my last post. My reason for bringing up redemption statistics was a poor attempt to express what Bill Marriott said much better yesterday in his blog, “It is a balancing act anytime we make a change.” On one side of the scale was the need to make it easier to redeem points for stays at our hotels. On the other side of the scale was the need to keep our rewards competitively priced. Simply put, there is no way to increase availability for reward redemption without also increasing the cost of the rewards. When it comes to determining whether we made the correct choices and what future adjustments need to be made is where your feed back becomes extremely valuable. Marriott is grateful for all the feed back we have received, positive and negative. I hope the feed back continues after the change takes place January 15th so that effect of nearly unlimited redemption availability can be weighed against the changes. I am confident for some of you this will improve your perception of the change while for many others of you this will not improve your view in the slightest.

Several of you also expressed interested in more data regarding redemption and occupancy statistics. Unfortunately, most the numbers you have requested I either do not have access to or I can not share.

I would like to make this transition as simple as possible for all of you. Many of you have sent us personal messages with questions about how this change will affect your current individual travel circumstances. Please feel free to continue to send these messages and emails. We are happy to assist in what ever way we can.

Ira.

Last edited by GrizShel; Nov 28, 2008 at 8:30 am
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:20 am

MARRIOTT NEW AND OLD REWARDS PACKAGES POINT REQUIREMENTS 2009

SAMPLER / HOPPER AWARDS[/COLO 7- Night Sampler or Hopper packages (Elite members only)[/COLOR]

2+2+3 package (Europe combo)
150,000 points. Good virtually any property, however availability is restricted more under the old program.
BIG ADVANTAGE: If ordered in 2008, this will have a 1 year window in 2009 where it will be very flexible (you can search for availability throughout 2009; but remember this is only in Europe or Hawaii).

2+2+3 package (Hawaii combo)
150,000 points. Nothing announced, some believe this may be continued indefinitely, if so this is a great perk that Marriott Rewards is keeping for us! Awaiting further info on this. (last updated 1/3/09).

New: No hopper package per se, but equivalent cost is outline below.

For 3 properties anywhere in the world, you’re going to pay a fixed per night amount.
3 example scenarios (assume most folks who used hoppers did it for cat 6 and above propertiesJ)
2@cat7 + 2@cat7 + 3@cat7 = 245,000 points
2@cat8 + 2@cat8 + 3@cat8 = 280,000 points
5@cat6 + 2@cat8 = 200,000 points

So at least for these three examples, you are going to spend 50 to 130k for the same 7 nights (but you will be more likely to get the properties you want during peak travel periods); or about 30 to 90% more points in most cases.

Conclusion: If you think you can use the Hopper anywhere in Hawaii or in high-demand locations in Europe anytime before 12/31/09, then you should DEFINITELY order one. However, if you have a need for airline miles, you should take a close look at the Air + Miles + Car Travel Package first.

TRAVEL PACKAGES

Big change: Under the old system the sweet spot for hotel stay point requirements was 7 nights (decreasing point requirements per night up to 7 nights), matching the number of nights awarded with travel packages, this contributed to making them a very good value. Under the new system in 2009, the sweet spot is discrete at 5 nights. While the cost per night of the package hotel stay is much higher in 2009, the added points cost for conversion to airline miles is not changing.

Here are some sample comparisons:

Example # 1
OLD: 7 Nights Category 5 Property + 100k Miles (Available for Most US airlines) = 215,000 Points.
NEW: If your property remains a Category 5, then the cost is 250,000 Points. Should your property soon change to a Category 6, then the cost would be 280,000 Points (such changes have not been announced at this date, but Marriott Rewards has a history of category creep).

Example # 2
If we change the above to the package with 120k miles, then the OLD cost is 250,000 and the NEW cost is 300,000 to 330,000 Points.

Example # 3
OLD: 7 Nights Category 7 Property + 120k Miles (most US airlines) = 270,000 Points.
NEW: For Category 7 package, the cost is 330,000 Points. However, some properties have already been bumped up to a new Category 8; the cost of the package then would be 360,000 Points

Note that there are an infinite number of ways to compare the old and new point redemption systems, I’ve jus tried to list a few of the most relevant (at least for me) comparisons.

Using these selected comparisons, the percentage increase in change in points requirements are:

HOTEL ONLY: Old Hoppers vs Some New 7-night Combinations
33 to 87% increase in Points needed.

TRAVEL PACKAGE: Selected Comparisons of Category 5 to 8 Hotels and 100k to 120k Airline Miles.
14 to 33% increase in Points needed.

Conclusion: If you need airline miles and know where you want a higher end hotel for 6 or 7 nights in 2009, order a package. If you'll need to make changes to the hotel part in 2009, you'll need to be clear on what changes are going to be allowed in 2009 and predict whether they will work for you.

Last edited by GrizShel; Jan 3, 2009 at 9:54 am Reason: Add information on Hawaii sampler.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:23 am

*** Reserved for future use (if needed) ***

part 4
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:25 am

*** Reserved for future use (if needed) ***

part 5
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:09 am
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
Great resourse!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together. I find it very helpful. There are so many posts on this subject, it's very difficult to go back and find a specific post with information from Marriott Concierge.

Good luck to everyone. 2009 will be the year of Marriott Rewards redemptions for me! See you in Europe!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Good for you GrizShel.
I wish I would have done some cut&paste work from the Ed French's postings on the MR blog(not flyertalk-nor Mr.Marriotts blog)before they started editing them.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:18 pm

I've added some example old and new point comparsions that may be helpful for \.

It's clear to me that the Sampler / Hopper awards will be quite flexible in 2009 (although they cannot be extended beyond 2009).

I'm still not quite clear on what changes are allowed with the hotel part of the oldTravel Packages ordered before Jan. 15, 2009:

1. Upward change category - Never allowed? Allowed only in certain conditions?
2. Change in property (same category).
3. Change in dates (same property).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Travel Package Mess Up - Anything I can do?

Hi can anyone please help,

Sometime ago I was browsing through all the awards and booked a 7 night cat 7 travel award and 50k BA Miles for 200k points. I had also booked 3 nights award stay in Rome (cat 7) and 4 nights Capri (cat 7). I rang Marriott rewards this morning hoping to link my unused 7 night certificate to these stays. I was told take that 7 night award was only valid for the same hotel.

I was sure I read somewhere (perhaps on here) that it was ok to split between 2 hotels as long as they were consecutive nights. Or perhaps I was confused when booking and mistakenly did not book the european sampler that I was previously looking at.

Anyway, they would not let me do it and said all I can do is use the 7 nights certificate to pay for the 4 night stay and then use new points to pay for the 3 night stay.

This seems a huge waste of mileage and I do not have too many points to play with. I don't think I can cancel the reward entirely as the air miles have already been added to my frequent flyer balance (although not used).

It seems that I may have to abandon the whole trip and replan my vacation (but this would leave me out of pocket due to think I had already planned and paid for).

I'm not holding out much hope, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Phil.

Edit: Sorry but also, if I do have to replan my holiday, how long is my 7 night cat 7 voucher valid for? I ordered it on the 31st July 2007. Thanks again.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:40 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by TheMajor
I was sure I read somewhere (perhaps on here) that it was ok to split between 2 hotels as long as they were consecutive nights. Or perhaps I was confused when booking and mistakenly did not book the european sampler that I was previously looking at.
You've got it right there. If you are talking about a cat 7 or cat 6 hotel, then you did not get the sampler, which is the one that allows you to split hotels. The sampler gives you three certificates (2/2/3 nights) which can be used at any European property. The certificates do not have cats.

A seven night stay requires seven nights in a single hotel. The sampler allows you to split properties.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:58 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Sometimes, it makes sense to use a 7 night certificate for shorter stays, depending on the situation. For example, last year we used a 7 night certificate for 4 nights at the Shelbourne in Dublin, and felt the value was okay. In your situation, does it make sense to lengthen the stay in Capri and shorten the stay in Rome? I don't hold out much hope for Marriott waiving the rule.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Depending on how many points you have you might find it easier to save your cat 7 for later in the year (from memory they are valid for a year, but I'm no expert - normally you could also roll-over the certificate although because of the change in points cost this won't be possible in 2009) and then use a seperate 3/4-nighter you book with your points.

You can also redeposit the Cat 7 hotel stay for X points (not sure exactly how many - you'd probably have to call Marriott as it depends on the mileage type etc) and then buy a new 4/3pointer - that might work out better value than 'wasting' the 7 nights on a 4 nights - but that might only save you 10k or so points.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
[QUOTE=

Edit: Sorry but also, if I do have to replan my holiday, how long is my 7 night cat 7 voucher valid for? I ordered it on the 31st July 2007. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about the 31st July 2007? Seem to me you are in a bit of pickle
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheMajor
Hi can anyone please help,

Edit: Sorry but also, if I do have to replan my holiday, how long is my 7 night cat 7 voucher valid for? I ordered it on the 31st July 2007. Thanks again.
I do hope you meant to say You ordered it on 31st July 2008. If in fact you ordered it on 7/31/07 then its Null and Void as it Expired on 7/31/08

What you had to have done is send it back before it expired and ask that they extend it which they do by sending you a New cert good for a yr from the date they extended it.

If it was 08 and not 07, then its still good. If I were you Id try to extend its use at either of teh Hotels for as many of the 7 days as possible. So if you can get 6 its not so bad , but I wouldnt want to use a 7er for 4 nights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.