Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe Sampler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine does say that but the rep I spoke with said that it will not order them as the correct box has been checked for paper certificates. I'm still going to keep an eye on it 7 days out and see what happens.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
When I used the Euro Hopper award last year it said the same thing on my reservations but I had no problem when I came to check in.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GlennTheBaker
When I used the Euro Hopper award last year it said the same thing on my reservations but I had no problem when I came to check in.
Thanks for calming info. I had used these awards in 06, but did not recall how the res looked online.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:11 pm

Last edited by KeepItCoolidge; Mar 7, 2016 at 6:15 pm
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Tiojelly
For those of you that have reservations using these rewards.. does your reservation online show the following:

"You do not have e-certificate(s) for this reservation.

Order e-certificate(s).

If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) 7 days prior to your stay, e-certificate(s) will be auto-ordered for you."

I am concerned that she may have incorrectly reserved these award nights and that points will be pulled for the stays. Although it certainly would be better if these were e-certs and I did not need to worry about misplacing them over the next 8 months until I use them.
My Hawaii Hopper award for this summer has the same notation, but I'm not too worried about it. The rules are clear enough and, though it may end up taking a few phone calls/letters at worst, I'm not concerned about another 225K points being taken out in addition to the 150K already paid for the paper certs.

I share your concern about misplacing the paper certs over the next 5 months, or forgetting them on departure.

It's a shame these went away. The same reservations now would cost me 50% more.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: Plat Marriott, United, Delta, Alaskan Airlines
I was able to book 5 nights in Capri for september 2009 to use with my European hopper. I think I found them in oct-nov, but I looked on line couple of times per day for three weeks. At some point I had 7 nights booked, but I gave away two because we will also stay in Monte Carlo for 2 days.

Now that I am reading all the posts about the bad room at the JW Capri I am a little freaked out! I know rooms are expensive in Capri, and it's nice to stay for free, but I got these points a couple of years back when I became a MVCI owner, and I feel that Marriott owes me a nice stay somewhere, as they promised in their sales pitch. However, that was years ago, and now everything has changed.

I was very surprised when I saw that the JW Capri has no nights what so ever in any season available for rewards. Last year there was always something available. I knew that usually in sept-oct availability was decent, but since the new point system we can say good bye to this rooms.

I also have on my reservation the same message as the others, but they told me everything is going to be ok. We will see who goes first and what happens this year.

IuLiA
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:53 pm

I had the same connotation on my reservation. I had a supervisor make sure to attach the certificate to my reservation and then it was gone.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by latravel
I had a supervisor make sure to attach the certificate to my reservation and then it was gone.
How do they "attach" a paper certificate that's sitting in my desk drawer?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
How do they "attach" a paper certificate that's sitting in my desk drawer?
While they are paper certificates, the information about those paper certificates are still listed in the Unused Certificates section at the bottom of the Upcoming Reservations page including Date Ordered, Description, and Point value.

When you use the certificates, the certificate number(s) of your paper certificate(s) (aka detail certificate #) are attached to your reservation(s), you then get a separate reservation certificate number associated with the hotel reservation and award aertificate(s) associated with that hotel reservation. Once your paper certificate numbers are "attached" to a reservation the notation in the Unused Certificates section at the bottom of the Upcoming Reservations page disappears because they are no longer unused.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Feb 18, 2009 at 7:41 pm
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I had already learned something new today, but I guess I can afford two.

I assume I need to call them by phone - I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
When you use the certificates, the certificate number(s) of your paper certificate(s) (aka detail certificate #) are attached to your reservation(s), you then get a separate reservation certificate number associated with the hotel reservation and award certificate(s) associated with that hotel reservation. Once your paper certificate numbers are "attached" to a reservation the notation in the Unused Certificates section at the bottom of the Upcoming Reservations page disappears because they are no longer unused.
BTW, a very nice CSR at the Plat Line explained this to me a while back when electronic certificates came into play. Just to be clear, when you do call and apply your paper certificates, the CSR will not provide you the reservation certificate number. Some will provide it if you ask, but once the CSR was clueless, so don't be surprised when it is not provided, or if asked they are clueless. It is the internal reference that ties together award certs to a reservation. Personally I like having it "just in case".

Yes you need to call to have paper certificates attached to your reservation.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:53 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Generally I would agree that it is a good idea to have paper certificates attached to your reservation. However, sampler rewards are a little different. If you have them attached all the unused portions of the certificate will be attached to a single reservation. The reason they were issued as paper certificates was because systematical it was nearly impossible to attach the separate portions to different reservations. If you are using all the portions for single location attaching the certificate is not a bad way to go; however, if you are going to be staying at multiple locations with you hopper reward you may run into some problems.

If you are using the hopper the best way to stop the auto order process is to make sure the reservations agent knows you are using the hopper reward. They are able to flag the reservation so no award is auto issued. If you have any concerns that your reservation has not been set up to stop the auto order process send me a personal message with your confirmation numbers and we will be glad to check them for you.

Ira
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:48 pm

My bad. I am wrong once again. That's twice this year.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Mine does say that but the rep I spoke with said that it will not order them as the correct box has been checked for paper certificates. I'm still going to keep an eye on it 7 days out and see what happens.
My reservations had the same notations online and I've had no trouble at all checking in over the last week at the Renaissance Shelbourne, Renaissance Chancery Court and Marriott Champs-Elysees. They will ask for the paper certificates.

My wife and I even got upgraded to a suite at the Shelbourne -- as a lowly sliver, I was surprised. The Shelbourne has a great location and the room was fantastic. A heated towel rack above the marble tub? Incredible. Great location for seeing the sights and walking around Dublin.

Construction is still ongoing at the Marriott Champs-Elysees -- we're here now. It seems mostly relegated to those in the back of the hotel. Our room on the first floor at the back of the hotel has scaffolding outside the window. As far as I can tell, nearly all the rooms in the back of the hotel have scaffolding outside the windows. We're not complaining -- we're staying on points and have silver elite status -- but just wanted to make others aware. The room is very comfortable, even if you have to walk up about a dozen stairs to get to the bathroom.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Help whats the Story

before the deadline I told a friend to cash out for the ES. he finally wants to use some of it called up and Rome Flora is available for the dates he wants, he then tells the CSR he wants to use a cert from the 3 from the ES and after talking to their supervisor came back and said "No can do " its discontinued and you had to have made a res within 2 weeks of getting the Certs , they are now worthless except to redeposit and get your Pts back as long as all the certs werent used

whats up?even the supervisor said theres no way for them to book the Hotel using a ES, he called back but got the same CSR so he hung up .

I thought all we had to do was order the ES before the deadline and then anytime till the ex date we could simply call up and if a Standard Room was available for pts then use the ES instead

Last edited by craz; Jun 21, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.