Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2001, 4:56 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I haven't stayed at any of these properties, but the Renaissance is a good location also. I understand the Marquis sees a lot of convention and tourist traffic. If you have been to LAS, it won't seem too big.

I don't know how familiar you are with NYC, but the WTC and Financial Ctr are downtown about 5-6 subway stops. The WTC location is in the WTC and there is a subway station in the basement. Don't forget to buy your MetroCard pass-it's a bargain.

Don't forget that Marriott has some special pricing on these hotels now.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Bill .. yes I dislike the Financial area for vacation trips, too far away from where you need to be for theatre, museums etc.

He he, hear what you are saying about relative size - the Marquis is about 1,800 rooms I think, but stayed a couple months ago at Luxor in LAS, and that is now about 4,500 rooms as I recall, and MGM Grand etc is over 5,000.

Where are the deals posted for the Marriotts? Looked at these 5 places on website, and no deals whatever came up other than "weekend" rates and even all those way over $200 plus taxes.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Jan 31, 2001, 6:59 am

I've stayed at all four Marriotts in Manhattan and travel there frequently. Some comments:

- Forget Financial District for touristy stuff -- it's too far from most action.

- Marquis is right above Times Square. Some offer views *of* Times Square. The place is big, and expensive. (Example, the standard Marriott American breakfast buffet is $24.95.) It can take 15 minutes to get from your room to the lobby, due to volume and lack of elevator capacity. (The Luxor and MGM have much better elevator/room ratio.)

Marquis is easy walking distance to Broadway, Rockefeller Center, Macy's, Empire State Building, some museums.

- East Side Marriott is smaller and friendlier. This building used to be an all-men's apartment before it was converted into a hotel. Although built in the 20's, it has all the modern amenities of a Marriott while also having some impressive architecture. It tends to be less expensive, by NYC standards.

East Side is easy walking distance to the Museum of Modern Art and Rockefeller Center. A walk to Times Square is lengthy but doable. If not, there is a subway station 3 blocks from the hotel with a quick trip to Times Square/Broadway, Empire State Building, and most of the city.

BTW, if you stay at the East Side, you should go to Esso Bagels for breakfast. This is a true New York City bagel experience. It's one block away from the hotel on 3rd Ave.

Glen ... e-mail me. I may have some codes at home for discounted rooms for specific dates in March. Maybe, I can provide you with some good tips depending on where you stay.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 8:20 am
Original Member

I am in NY each week, and offer the following:

Marriot Marquis and NY Rennaisance are across the street from each other in Times SQ. The Renn. is a very nice property, and I prefer it over the Marquis. It is smaller, but rooms and bed are nicer. The seafood resturaunt is great, and has a the best view of Times SQ. That being said, the interior of the Marquis is very awe-inspiring, and it is fun to sit in the lobby, and look up at the elevators.

The East Side is by far the better property, but it is a hike from Broadway and Times SQ.

Verdict: Rennisance for the tourist.

------------------
Old Jan 31, 2001, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I have to pipe up about the East Side Marriott. I managed to snag this beauty for $140 per night for 3 nights including New Year's Eve, through Priceline.com. It was an excellent hotel, smaller than the other Marriotts, but very friendly. the building is also a very nice one, though the elevators can take a while. I would recommend it, as it's rates are a bit lower than teh other Marriotts. It is a reasonable walk to Times Square and the Theater District, and everything else in Midtown. Laso it is 3 blocks from a subway station.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 11:21 am

Ditto on the Renaissance. Great Times Square location, close to all subways, if you dare, and near lots of good eats. All of the Bway theatres are there and the TKTS booth is right outside the Renaissance front door... half price Bway show tix on the day of the show. Can't be beat. Foleys Fish House upstairs has a great Times Square view, although my room had a lousy east-facing view over some rotting rooftop, but in general the hotel was great. Very personable staff in the lobby....doormen, desk clerks, etc. If you're with a group and want Italian food, can't do better than Carmines on 45th (?)... the portions are HUGE. Have fun.

PS- Check the Marriott website. I believe under special offers they have some good deals at the Renaissance and Marquis, as well as others, maybe Courtyard in the same area for $169/nt.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 11:31 am

Just did my own checking...
go to Marriottrewards.com, click on Member Offers, then click on Rate discount, then go to NY and find rates for the Courtyards-Midtown East and Times Square ($155/nt), Marquis (185) and Renaissance (175).
Old Jan 31, 2001, 12:20 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All will do fine, IMHO and the REN would be my first choice preference based on overall quality and location!
Old Jan 31, 2001, 12:48 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Currently my wife and I are booked at the Marriott Financial Center for Saturday night. It seems close to the Statue of Liberty and my wife wanted to go there on Sunday so I thought I'd go for it.

Rate we got: $119 for the night (HOL rate)
Old Jan 31, 2001, 2:21 pm

You've chosen the best location to get to the Statue of Liberty. A few words of advice from a lifelong New Yorker...get to the Statue boats as early as possible if you have the desire to go up into the Statue, because they only let a limited # of people up per day. Closed and somewhat claustrophobic up there. Also, bring your coat and bundle up because it is COLD on the water. Don't forget your camera...excellent photo ops both from the boat and the Statue. Food concession there is decent for a bite.
It is also a lot of fun to go to the top of the World Trade Center, which is also close by. They have a TKTS booth in the lobby there (half price, same day Bway show tix) and up on the 107th floor, a cool 3D motion ride (free with your WTC admission, I believe).
Old Jan 31, 2001, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
A little bit OMNI about Carmine's:

I had lunch there today. There's nothing wrong with it. The portions are huge. The food is fine. I've been happily belching garlic all day (one has to belch something!). The atmosphere is fun (at both locations).

But let's not get carried away. There is far, far better Italian food available in New York City (and not only in Manhattan), for both more money and less money.

Don't get me wrong. I think tourists should hit the tourist spots. That's what I do in cities I visit. But they should also seek out and find the less popular places as well (I do that too.).
Old Feb 2, 2001, 4:56 pm

Discounts @ Marriott East Side

From a postcard I received today:

Ask for rate Program LOCC, $179 per room per night, Fri-Sun, 1/26-9/3/01, must include Fri or Sat night stay. Also good on: 1/29, 2/1, 2/5, 3/5, 3/15, 3/19, 3/26, 4/12, 4/14, 5/25, 5/28, 5/31, 7/9, 7/12, 7/23-26, 7/30, 8/20-23, 8/27, 8/30, 9/3.

Ask for rate Program LOCD, $129 per room per night, on these date only: 1/28, 2/18, 2/25, 3/4, 4/8, 4/15, 5/13, 6/17, 7/1, 7/29, 8/5, 5/19, 9/2

To make reservations, call 800-248-5582

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old Feb 3, 2001, 11:12 am

I'm hoping you mean the East side of NYC. I would love to stay East of the Park for $129.
Old Feb 3, 2001, 12:23 pm
Original Member

These are usually weekend rates. Marriott East side is on Lexington Ave at 48th Street, so not really east of the park. More like "eastern Midtown."

------------------
Old Feb 3, 2001, 2:06 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good rates!

FWIW, Central Park begins (southern/downtown border) at the northen end of midtown, at 59th St!

Park Ave does extend further downtown toward lower Manhattan, however, so you can be east of that if you like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.