Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Des Moines and West Des Moines, Iowa [Master Thread]

Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP

I am going to start traveling to Des Moines, Iowa. I wondered if anyone can make a recommendation on which Marriott property(s) is the best with the most perk and has a good reputation for treating elites.
I appreciate the FT family help!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The West Des Moines Marriott is a good property. Nothing special. Just really, really good. Clean. Nice people. Above average restaurant and CL. Close to highway, but no noise problem in the rooms. It's near my customers and always has a good rate.

I haven't stayed in other properties in Des Moines, so don't know if they're better or worse, but this property is top notch.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:11 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I stayed at the Renaissance Savery just a couple of weeks ago, and while not a glamourous property by any means, I would recommend it. I booked the smallest room available as still being in my college years I'm fine with small [dorm-sized] rooms and it also came with free parking. As a platinum I was upgraded to a "suite" (really just a large corner room with a sofabed in the middle of the room) on the top floor (concierge level). I was also noted as the "Guest of the Day" which provided for free breakfast or a dessert. The property is definitely aging (carpet folding in the hallways, old tv's, etc) but the staff was great and the rooms were clean. The bathrooms are tiny but I feel that is due to the age of the property (the closet you walk through to get to the bathroom on the other hand was easily twice the size of the bathroom). I wasn't in Des Moines for anything in particular, so location wise I can't comment specifically for convenience, but it was convenient to a number or restaurants and cafes downtown.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
West Des Moines Marriott....a no-brainer. Above-average FS Marriott with (usually) down to earth rates.

West Des Moines CY and FY, about three miles away, are good properties as well. Not as well-appointed as the FS WDM Marriott, but closer to most of the restaurants, shops, office complexes, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Does the Savory Downtown have a CL? How was the CL at the West Des Moinesfull service Marriott and were they open on weekends?
I stayed at the SS in West Des Moines Sunday. They upgraded me to a HUGE corner two room suite, and they let me check in at 8am. The manager Sunday morning was a lifesaver after driving in Saturday night/ early Sunday morning!
I loved this location. I do value the Cl at the full service properties.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Club, Southwest CP
I have been in DSM for about 6 months and have stayed at both Marriotts downtown. (Marriott and Renaissance Savery - Staying in the Savery as I write this reply) I much prefer the Savery, as I am always upgraded (Platinum. Sounds like you might be too?) and have noticed that it is much, much quieter than the Marriott. (I've had to switch rooms at the Marriott on 3 occassions due to the noise level of neighbors, parties in the hospitality rooms on the floors, etc.) Both properties downtown have a Concierge Lounge and are relatively similar; the Marriott's is probably slightly (very slightly) better, although much more crowded. Never stayed outside of the city as my firm doesn't allow rental cars when working downtown, so I can't speak to anything outside of the "urban" area. I do not believe that either are open on weekends, although I believe the Savery will give you breakfast coupons for the weekend if you're nice to the front desk.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:07 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FSUNole
I have been in DSM for about 6 months and have stayed at both Marriotts downtown. (Marriott and Renaissance Savery - Staying in the Savery as I write this reply) I much prefer the Savery, as I am always upgraded (Platinum. Sounds like you might be too?) and have noticed that it is much, much quieter than the Marriott. (I've had to switch rooms at the Marriott on 3 occassions due to the noise level of neighbors, parties in the hospitality rooms on the floors, etc.) Both properties downtown have a Concierge Lounge and are relatively similar; the Marriott's is probably slightly (very slightly) better, although much more crowded. Never stayed outside of the city as my firm doesn't allow rental cars when working downtown, so I can't speak to anything outside of the "urban" area. I do not believe that either are open on weekends, although I believe the Savery will give you breakfast coupons for the weekend if you're nice to the front desk.
I stayed at the Ren a few times in 2004. On my second stay I was upgraded to the Penthouse Suite which was basically the entire top floor. Probably close to 3000 sqft. (and a huge rooftop outdoor deck). The furnishing were a bit tired but this was by far the best UG I ever received.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Downtown DSM needs a true "high end" hotel. I stayed at the Hotel Fort Des Moines. What a dump! Holiday Inn, old & trashy! Quality Inn Downtown- neighboring room had an ambulance there at midnight, turns out a crack pipe fell out of the bathroom duct and cut a guy's foot!LOL Embassy Suites- Great food, fair service, inflated parking!
A Hyatt, W, or Westin would be nice. I heard that a Hilton Garden Inn may be coming down there.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Just booked stay at the West Des Moines Marriott and the hotel fact sheet (plus a verification phone call to the hotel) states they offer complimentary high speed in the guest room. What a treat! Hope it's the start to a trend at Marriott full service properties.

Anyone have a recent hotel review of this property?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, American Gold, Hilton Silver, Starwood Gold
The Ren is easily the better hotel, but all hotels in downtown are showing signs of their age (I'm looking at you Embassy Suites, Marriott, Ren, and HI). It's closer to Court St for some restaurants and bars. I've not stayed at the West Des Moines Marriott, but unless you want a 20-30 minute drive each way or are working in West Des Moines, pick the Ren
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
DH just finished a week at the REN.

It is a "historical site". Was clean and functional- and part of the 2nd story shopping "mall"
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:06 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
A Hyatt, W, or Westin would be nice..
W Des Moines! Somehow I do not see that as forthcoming anytime soon.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:42 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cduff
The Ren is easily the better hotel, but all hotels in downtown are showing signs of their age (I'm looking at you Embassy Suites, Marriott, Ren, and HI). It's closer to Court St for some restaurants and bars. I've not stayed at the West Des Moines Marriott, but unless you want a 20-30 minute drive each way or are working in West Des Moines, pick the Ren
having just stayed at both properties, I'd agree with all the above (bolding mine). As a lowly silver didn't get any freebies. I HATE paying for parking, the Ren had plenty of spots on the street in the evening for free parking (meters end at 5 or 6pm).

Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
Downtown DSM needs a true "high end" hotel. A Hyatt.....
one is coming, a Hyatt Place property that is.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum
I stayed at the Marriott downtown during the week for about 8 months. Unfortunately the hotel only has one floor of suites and rarely upgrades to those rooms. It's right in the middle of everything, and being connected to the skywalk is a huge plus. If you're working downtown, I would not stay in West Des Moines. I also loved the staff there. I'd recommend it, but didn't try any of the other Marriotts.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
W Des Moines! Somehow I do not see that as forthcoming anytime soon.
When does construction begin on the Burj Al Des Moines?

Actually, I just dropped by this thread to pimp the Renaissance. Nice junior suite upgrade and just a nice, quiet, clean hotel all around. I suspect that some room renovations have taken place since the earlier review of this property. We had a modern decor and the normal flatscreen HDTV you'd expect at a Renaissance. I liked the general smallness and boutique style of the place - a sharp contrast from the large Marriott down the street.

Oddly enough, it was also less expensive than other options. We were just passing through roadtripping to Minnesota and queried all Marriott brands except Fairfield Inn and Courtyard - $95/nt. for the Renaissance was the best rate, lower than other FS Marriotts and a couple of Residence Inns. ^

The CL was closed so we were given a free appetizer and free breakfasts without asking. I find it interesting how some hotels will refuse the appetizer and make you actually ask for the breakfast when they close the CL on a non-holiday weekday: this one did not.

And finally, a minor note but one that we will remember: this hotel has the best bacon in the entire Marriott system, by far.

Someone mentioned expensive parking: Des Moines isn't exactly Manhattan - not the most difficult place to find legal overnight street parking... The Ren has $16/day valet but we just parked directly across the street from the hotel front door for free. (Metered parking...enforced beginning at 8AM.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.