Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Site Showing Storm Damaged Caribbean Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

Some opening late 2017. Some as late as end of 2018.

http://www.paradisebymarriott.com/updates/
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This site only covers properties damaged by Irma or Maria.

It doesn't cover properties damaged by Harvey (in Texas) and it doesn't cover fire damaged properties such as in Northern California.

That's because it's not a site covering all damaged properties everywhere. It's a site about a particular region.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Correct. I should have said Caribbean properties.

Can a mod update the thread title?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat
I can't image what the damage must be like if some of these properties aren't going to reopen until late 2018
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by drew502
I can't image what the damage must be like if some of these properties aren't going to reopen until late 2018
A big part of the challenge for some/many places is the logistics chain of getting replacement material shipped and delivered. Unless there's a whole fleet of mid sized cargo ships available as well as a port or two that's back to full operations and beyond handling relief supplies, delivery trucks, etc., stuff like building supplies, furnishings, etc. are gonna get lower priority if any access to an island's transportation systems at all. And then there's the manpower issue of who's available to work their stuff versus other jobs.

As well as the optics and repercussions of doing a bad deal like Puerto Rico's power infrastructure contract, what was taking a while just took even longer.

David
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Thanks for posting!

Wonder what the difference is between closed for reservations and closed for new reservations means. Are the properties partially open?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I would be very surprised if the hotels on St. Croix and St. Thomas actually open on schedule because of the significant delays in getting supplies and qualified workers. Additionally, there has been a large exodus of many locals. I read that over 5,000 Virgin Islanders (out of a population of 100,000) have left for the mainland.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
From a limited data point, I question the accuracy of this list. Mainsale's Scrub Island property will not be open before July or August of 2018.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would be very surprised if the hotels on St. Croix and St. Thomas actually open on schedule because of the significant delays in getting supplies and qualified workers. Additionally, there has been a large exodus of many locals. I read that over 5,000 Virgin Islanders (out of a population of 100,000) have left for the mainland.
In my experience, the construction work in the USVI often involves bringing in workers from the mainland. The Hurricane Hugo rebuild probably took 20 years and some places never reopened.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Frenchman's Reef and the Ritz on St. Thomas match what I've heard... the Reef sustained significant structural damage to multiple structures. The old harbor wing basically has to be rebuilt.

Frenchman's Cove, the timeshare, is not accepting new reservations until Feb 2018, although they are hoping to open for existing reservations by Christmas week this year.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:25 am

All the properties on St. Thomas needed renovations. Hopefully they will use this time not only to repair the properties, but upgrade them too.

I feel for all the people impacted by the storms. Just look at Freeport Bahamas if you want to see what the long term damage can be. Frances and Jeanne permanently crippled the island.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In my experience, the construction work in the USVI often involves bringing in workers from the mainland. The Hurricane Hugo rebuild probably took 20 years and some places never reopened.
That's true. Having lived on St Thomas I can tell you that there were many buildings, commercial and residential, between Havensight and the Ritz-Carlton in Red Hook that looked bombed out. They were never rebuilt after Marilyn and Hugo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.