Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
So I'm looking for some opinions here. I'm looking to do an 8 night stay here and can't decide between St. Pancras and JW Marriott GH. It seems like St. Pancras has an amazing lounge but JW Marriott is closer to all of the touristy stuff. Any preferences?

Additional Info:
1. Stay will be over Christmas and New Years
2. This will be a points stay, I have even considered splitting the stay 3 nights/5 nights. Perhaps 12/24-12/26 in the St. Pancras while attractions are closed, and then over to JW when things start to reopen?
3. Will see the usual popular attractions but would like to be flexible (it looks like St. Pancras has access to more subway lines)
4. Would like to be near affordable food options
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by awu25
So I'm looking for some opinions here. I'm looking to do an 8 night stay here and can't decide between St. Pancras and JW Marriott GH. It seems like St. Pancras has an amazing lounge but JW Marriott is closer to all of the touristy stuff. Any preferences?

Additional Info:
1. Stay will be over Christmas and New Years
2. This will be a points stay, I have even considered splitting the stay 3 nights/5 nights. Perhaps 12/24-12/26 in the St. Pancras while attractions are closed, and then over to JW when things start to reopen?
3. Will see the usual popular attractions but would like to be flexible (it looks like St. Pancras has access to more subway lines)
4. Would like to be near affordable food options
Just one point... are you a Marriott Platinum? If not, you won't get access to the lounge at The St. Pancras unless you book a club room.

You can get affordable food near both hotels. To be honest, I'd just stay at the JW, as it's a lot closer to the sights.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Just one point... are you a Marriott Platinum? If not, you won't get access to the lounge at The St. Pancras unless you book a club room.

You can get affordable food near both hotels. To be honest, I'd just stay at the JW, as it's a lot closer to the sights.
Yes, forgot to add that I'm plat
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Agree. Also the OP needs to keep in mind the subway system during Xmas/Boxing Day will be on more limited schedule and/or might not be running. With GH/JW they can walk to some of the sights. With StP there's not much around there.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
With GH/JW they can walk to some of the sights. With StP there's not much around there.
For first timers to London I would agree, especially if they don't like to walk. But then CH would be good for that too.

But for those of us who enjoy walking, and like to get away from the tourist crowds, a plus for SPR IMO and one reason why I prefer it.

SPR when compared to JW is a bit closer to Covent Gardens (1.5 miles vs 1.7) and equidistant to the South Bank (2.2 miles) and a lot closer to the British Museum, Tower of London, and Regents Park. Yes SPR is much further away from Parliament and Buckingham Palace (Also probably closed Xmas/Boxing day), and also Green Park and St. James Park. SPR is a bit further away from Piccadilly Circus (0.7 miles further) and Leicester Square (0.2 miles further). SPR is much closer to Paris.

SPR has it when it comes to transportation being right above 6 tube lines and Eurostar.

JW is closer to Nobu. BUT, and this is a big butt , all the extra walking when staying at SPR makes the afternoon tea with all that yummy clotted cream in the Chambers Club a guilt free pleasure and a substantial savings if you enjoy tea time.

Now having said all that, the access to transportation is a huge plus for the time of year we are speaking as one may not want to weather the elements, and having access to 6 tube lines right below you would be a huge advantage. I visit London in late spring, early summer, and early fall, to avoid school holiday but yet have nice weather, so walking is much nicer when warm. Enough said.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:14 am

I asked one of our London-based FTers for input given my recollection transport is usually more restricted around the holidays:

"I'd say it's much of a muchness in terms of closeness to attractions. Grosvenor House probably has the edge.

However, Christmas day will be quiet, and everything will be shut, bar a handful of small convenience stores and sandwich places. Restaurants will need advance reservations. The public transport network completely shuts down, bar some buses to Heathrow and the hospitals.

King's Cross, St Pancras and Euston stations will be completely shut down on Christmas and Boxing days, so the area around there will be dead, and with few facilities.

St Pancras is extremely well connected on the Tube - but don't forget buses. They're very user-friendly these days, and a seat upstairs as you cross London is a great way to travel around the city.

St Pancras is closer to affordable food options. The West End can be expensive, although there are also affordable options. Near King's Cross, you've got a lot of new, trendy places as the area is redeveloped around the new St Martin's College, but you've also get Islington nearby, which is an inner suburb with a lot of decent options, and a nice feel to it. Arguably, the more interesting parts of town are now further east (Shoreditch, Dalston, Hackney) but these don't suit all tastes. There's also Fitzrovia, which have some good inbetween-level options - I'd consider that about halfway from both StP & GH.

New Year is another occasion worth pre-booking. A lot of the public spaces are access restricted for crowd control, and pubs and bars generally go for (overpriced!) ticketed entry. Restaurants generally have a festive menu, which you can avoid by heading to one of the better chains instead."

Additional information he provided when I asked a couple of questions:

"There's nothing at all on Christmas Day, apart from a couple of volunteer-operated services designed to get people to the hospitals for visiting hours, which will be no use for a tourist. Otherwise, it's all closed. People underestimate just how much England shuts down for Christmas Day!

Boxing Day is busier, the retail areas are generally pretty crowded as the sales start. The buses and Tube operate a special service (rather like a Sunday) but the trains don't run at all."

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 6, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:02 pm

I asked one of our London-based FTers for input given my recollection transport is usually more restricted around the holidays:

"I'd say it's much of a muchness in terms of closeness to attractions. Grosvenor House probably has the edge.

However, Christmas day will be quiet, and everything will be shut, bar a handful of small convenience stores and sandwich places. Restaurants will need advance reservations. The public transport network completely shuts down, bar some buses to Heathrow and the hospitals.

King's Cross, St Pancras and Euston stations will be completely shut down on Christmas and Boxing days, so the area around there will be dead, and with few facilities.

St Pancras is extremely well connected on the Tube - but don't forget buses. They're very user-friendly these days, and a seat upstairs as you cross London is a great way to travel around the city.

St Pancras is closer to affordable food options. The West End can be expensive, although there are also affordable options. Near King's Cross, you've got a lot of new, trendy places as the area is redeveloped around the new St Martin's College, but you've also get Islington nearby, which is an inner suburb with a lot of decent options, and a nice feel to it. Arguably, the more interesting parts of town are now further east (Shoreditch, Dalston, Hackney) but these don't suit all tastes. There's also Fitzrovia, which have some good inbetween-level options - I'd consider that about halfway from both StP & GH.

New Year is another occasion worth pre-booking. A lot of the public spaces are access restricted for crowd control, and pubs and bars generally go for (overpriced!) ticketed entry. Restaurants generally have a festive menu, which you can avoid by heading to one of the better chains instead."

Additional information he provided when I asked a couple of questions:

"There's nothing at all on Christmas Day, apart from a couple of volunteer-operated services designed to get people to the hospitals for visiting hours, which will be no use for a tourist. Otherwise, it's all closed. People underestimate just how much England shuts down for Christmas Day!

Boxing Day is busier, the retail areas are generally pretty crowded as the sales start. The buses and Tube operate a special service (rather like a Sunday) but the trains don't run at all."

Cheers.
Thanks for all the responses! At this point, I'm leaning towards splitting 5 nights/3 nights at both hotels. I don't mind the mid-vacation move and like to experience different hotels in places I probably won't return to. Perhaps St. Pancras the first 3 nights as we'll probably be spending a lot of time in a lounge on Christmas day and maybe go to Covent Gardens on 12/26 for shopping.

PS: I've already been to NYC Nobu twice so I think I'll skip over the experience in London
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by awu25
Thanks for all the responses! At this point, I'm leaning towards splitting 5 nights/3 nights at both hotels. I don't mind the mid-vacation move and like to experience different hotels in places I probably won't return to. Perhaps St. Pancras the first 3 nights as we'll probably be spending a lot of time in a lounge on Christmas day and maybe go to Covent Gardens on 12/26 for shopping.
I'm assuming StP's exec lounge will be open 12/24-26, but you might want to contact the property to confirm that. Would suck to get there expecting it to be open & then find it closed. Also, wherever you're planning on eating Xmas Eve or Xmas dinner you may want to book in advance, given the input above re: so many things being closed or advanced ressies required. The advantage to splitting the stays is you get to experience 2 of Marriott's best properties in London Have a fun trip!

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:35 pm

I'm assuming StP's exec lounge will be open 12/24-26, but you might want to contact the property to confirm that. Would suck to get there expecting it to be open & then find it closed. Also, wherever you're planning on eating Xmas Eve or Xmas dinner you may want to book in advance, given the input above re: so many things being closed or advanced ressies required. The advantage to splitting the stays is you get to experience 2 of Marriott's best properties in London Have a fun trip!

Cheers.
Good point, I'll definitely call both to find out the lounge schedule.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Which one? St Pancras, Threadneedles, or (gasp) Hilton

We're planning a non-points pre-cruise 3-day stay in London for this summer. We visit there every few years and like to do the usual American tourist stuff, and usually stay at County Hall. Marriott Plat/Hilton Gold. Current room rates (and other considerations) dictate following choices: St. Pancras (254 GBP); Threadneedles (242 GBP); and Hilton London Green Park (208 GBP). Never stayed at any of the 3. Thoughts? Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
We're planning a non-points pre-cruise 3-day stay in London for this summer. We visit there every few years and like to do the usual American tourist stuff, and usually stay at County Hall. Marriott Plat/Hilton Gold. Current room rates (and other considerations) dictate following choices: St. Pancras (254 GBP); Threadneedles (242 GBP); and Hilton London Green Park (208 GBP). Never stayed at any of the 3. Thoughts? Thanks.
I'd knock Hilton off your list. It's got a good location, but the rooms are the size of my closet. I'm not exaggerating how small they are. I used to stay there when I could get inexpensive rates, but I wouldn't want to pay 208GBP.

We haven't had many reports on Threadneedles (although I think the ones we did have were positive, but isn't it more in the financial district) & it's an Autograph so no lounge. If you can spring for it I'd say St.P. You'd have access to the exec lounge which gets very good reviews. Just plan on no upgrade unless you're willing to pay for it (latest report is that they're hardselling the upgrades even to Plats) & remember there's a 12.50/person mininum in the cafe. StP does have great access to tube system being on top of basically 6 lines.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:56 pm

I'd knock Hilton off your list. It's got a good location, but the rooms are the size of my closet. I'm not exaggerating how small they are. I used to stay there when I could get inexpensive rates, but I wouldn't want to pay 208GBP.
Thanks. Sounds like the room you stayed is classified by the Hilton as a "single," reading between the lines at tripadvisor. Is that possible?
These rooms are the smallest in the hotel. I tentatively booked a "Hilton King Deluxe," which I'm guessing is larger than the room you describe (with the possibility of upgrade to "King Deluxe Plus." I've also booked the room at St.P., described as Barlow king/queen. I think I do prefer the Hilton location and even w/o a lounge we would get breakfast (or "brekkie" as you put it ) in the restaurant. Of course plenty of time before August to make a decision.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Thanks. Sounds like the room you stayed is classified by the Hilton as a "single," reading between the lines at tripadvisor. Is that possible?
These rooms are the smallest in the hotel. I tentatively booked a "Hilton King Deluxe," which I'm guessing is larger than the room you describe (with the possibility of upgrade to "King Deluxe Plus." I've also booked the room at St.P., described as Barlow king/queen. I think I do prefer the Hilton location and even w/o a lounge we would get breakfast (or "brekkie" as you put it ) in the restaurant. Of course plenty of time before August to make a decision.
I stayed at the GP property multiple times & in different rooms as a gold member. I wouldn't say any of the rooms I received were anything other than small. Not all were the size of the closet, but none were anyway shape or form a good size. For the rates I was paying which were substantially below yours I'd say it's ok, but for 200+quid ($300US) not so much. However, if you get upgraded to the king deluxe plus sounds like you get a lot of space. One thing to keep in mind - and which has been consistent over the years from reports - is that the a/c situation at GP is not good in the summer.

StP doesn't have the location that GP does, but given it's on top of 6 tube lines that will get you anywhere quickly and that everyone raves about the exec lounge & it's in a fantastic historical building, I'd go with that. Yes it's $70-80 more, but seems like it offers a heck of a lot more.

However, as you note, you have plenty of time between now & August. Book them both, keep checking back & for all you know, your beloved County Hall might open up at a decent rate.

PS - If you do stay at Green Park, make a left out of the hotel, go to the corner, make another left, go 50 feet, make a left & go through an alley to Shepherd's Market. Lot of small but decent restaurants & pubs. Ye Grapes pub is a favorite of FTers. (I still wouldn't pay $300 to stay at GP, but that's me).

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm Reason: add shepherd's market info...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:07 am

StP doesn't have the location that GP does, but given it's on top of 6 tube lines that will get you anywhere quickly and that everyone raves about the exec lounge & it's in a fantastic historical building, I'd go with that. Yes it's $70-80 more, but seems like it offers a heck of a lot more.

However, as you note, you have plenty of time between now & August. Book them both, keep checking back & for all you know, your beloved County Hall might open up at a decent rate.

PS - If you do stay at Green Park, make a left out of the hotel, go to the corner, make another left, go 50 feet, make a left & go through an alley to Shepherd's Market. Lot of small but decent restaurants & pubs. Ye Grapes pub is a favorite of FTers. (I still wouldn't pay $300 to stay at GP, but that's me).
Thanks. BTW, your fave is very, very expensive during the time. If that changes, I'll pounce.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Best option for me in London next summer?

Hello everyone. Going to buy a 7-night Marriott travel package to get my Companion Pass renewed and thinking about taking my family (wife, 11y boy, 10y girl) to London next summer. Have not decided on the Category Level # to purchase yet so wanted to get some seasoned-veteran opinions on what hotel we should look into booking. Here is a little about us:

- Marriott Platinum and might hit Plat Premier in 2014
- Will be booking a 7-night trip sometime in the summer of 2015
- Wife and I have been there, kids never have
- Will want to do all of the tourist stuff
- Like to walk to places and are pretty active
- Close to public transportation would be ideal (not renting a car)
- Would like something with a concierge lounge to save on food $
- Would be great to be able to secure a suite or something with a pull out couch for the kids to share
- Non-smoking only

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your opinions on what Marriott family property would work best for us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.