New to Govt rate/per diem: Help!

Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, dabbling in USAirways
New to Govt rate/per diem: Help!

I have read through various government rate/per diem threads and I am still confused. I recently changed jobs from a private corporation where I stayed where I wanted within reason (no Ritz on the company’s dime) to a nonprofit operating under federal and state grants. I am working under a grant from the USAF and recently traveled to a Springhill Suites, showed them a letter on the company letterhead signed by the CEO stating we were working under the federal government. They said no problem, and gave me the government rate. Being that I have to stay within the limits of the GSA per diem, I wouldn’t have been able to stay anywhere within the area without utilizing the government rate, save for some shady motel.

I will be traveling again soon and noticed Marriott policy states that the gov rate is only for people with gov IDs. I am afraid that upon check-in, my letter isn’t going to hold any weight and I’ll be stuck paying the difference. Can anyone shed any light on this debacle? Worst case I’ll stay at a different chain with less stringent policies, though I am generally loyal to Marriott and it would be a shame for me to have to cut off my business with them from here on out.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
couldn't you have asked this under the gov't per diem thread?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Technically, I don't think you're eligible for the Government rate. The rate rules at most properties have the following statement:

** Government Contractors are not Eligible for the Govt Per Diem Rate **

Note Government Contractors working on Government "Cost
Reimbursable Contract" are not Eligible for the Govt Rate

It would seem that they are specifically excluding folks who don't work for the Government, regardless of the fact that the taxpayer is the one who is ultimately picking up the tab. If you want to be bulletproof, have someone at the GSA or the agency that funds you guys write a letter on agency letterhead stating that you're eligible for the Gov't rate.

All that aside, I've found that properties often don't ask to see my Gov't ID when I'm checking in. Disclaimer: I usually stay at the same properties repeatedly, so that may have something to do with it.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Check the rule rates. If the rates don't say contractor excluded (and all don't from what I've read on this thread), you're fine w/ the letter.

Otherwise, ask your boss to do stratfortress says, get the gov't agency to write a letter.

BTW - I don't work for nor contract to the gov't, so this is just MO.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You got lucky. DH has a CAC (government issued contractor id card) and a letter on Army letterhead every time he travels which explicity states where and when he is travelling and the authorized per deim rate for that city. He still can't get the per diem at most US Marriott family hotels. (Those in Germany have been more likely to give it too him) He is fortunate that if he can show his company that no per diem rates were avaiable within a reasonable distance of the Army post he is visiting they will reimburse him the difference and eat the cost. I guess they are charging the Army enough to make it worth their while.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:45 pm

Even federal government workers don't have the right to a government rate. It's always up to the hotel policy if they want to give you the rate or not.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Bobster
Even federal government workers don't have the right to a government rate. It's always up to the hotel policy if they want to give you the rate or not.

Just curious. My sister works is a fed employee. Why wouldn't she get the gov't rate if she was staying at the property while on official gov't bizness?

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just curious. My sister works is a fed employee. Why wouldn't she get the gov't rate if she was staying at the property while on official gov't bizness?

Cheers.
Because no hotel has a legal obligation to provide a government rate and if they do provide a government rate there is no legal obligation that it be at the per diem level.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Did I miss it above? who said anything about legal rights?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Some of the Marriott hotels have very restrictive rules and require that you pay with a government CC. My son had his CAC, but since he was using a private CC, he wasn't able to get the govt rate at one property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.