FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Print Wikipost

Copenhagen Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:09 am
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
We stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott about 2 years ago for a couple of nights before a cruise. As gold elite with Marriott we were given access to the Executive Lounge but our room was one floor below the Executive level.

The lounge was nice and breakfast was plenty for DH and myself. We also enjoyed the complimentary soft drinks & bottled waters. In the evening they put out some snacks but it wouldn't be enough for dinner for your boys (I have boys & know what they can eat).

Also, based on my experience with the front desk they'll charge you the extra $$ for any additional guests. Do they allow 2 for the rate you've been quoted? If so you'll get charged for 2 more people.

Nice property and I liked the location. It's not in the center of town if you would prefer to be centrally located.
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Paid for the upgrade before our cruise last summer. Unanimous "yes" from the family. On the return, we did it again. We loved the location because:

a. The tour boat stops next door.

b. We walked to Tivoli Garden.

c. We walked to the center of town. (Weather was great, easy walks.)

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott-SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the input VA1379. Pretty much what I've been thinking.

I've debated the Marriott card more for the status than the points. I'm not so sure the extra 5 points per dollar are worth it for international hotels due to the foreign transaction fees Chase nicks you with. I can completely avoid foreign transaction fees with my Schwab 2% cash back VISA.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by LKO
Also, based on my experience with the front desk they'll charge you the extra $$ for any additional guests. Do they allow 2 for the rate you've been quoted? If so you'll get charged for 2 more people.
The rate says it includes access for "Free 2 Guests" in the executive lounge. I guess one could argue if they mean 2 additional guests, or 2 total. I was thinking I could get at least 3 of us in, or go in turns if that's allowed 2 and 2?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Paid for the upgrade before our cruise last summer. Unanimous "yes" from the family. On the return, we did it again. We loved the location because:

a. The tour boat stops next door.

b. We walked to Tivoli Garden.

c. We walked to the center of town. (Weather was great, easy walks.)
Were you a party of 4 in 1 room? If so, did they let all 4 of you into the executive lounge at once?

I've read great things about the hotel, it's a popular location with cruisers, particularly since it's one of a very few that will allow 4 in a room.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:23 am
LKO

Originally Posted by Sabre1
The rate says it includes access for "Free 2 Guests" in the executive lounge. I guess one could argue if they mean 2 additional guests, or 2 total. I was thinking I could get at least 3 of us in, or go in turns if that's allowed 2 and 2?
I think they mean you can have 2 guests total, not you plus 2 others. The front desk was very "by the book" regarding Marriott policies. I think they'll charge you the additional charge for 2 people. Many hotels in Europe only allow 2 per room, any additional (even if children) are an additonal price.

It's not really a matter of how many you can get into the lounge. Your room key will unlock the door and 4 of you could walk in. We were never asked for our room number in the lounge. I don't think the lounge attendants will know if you have 1 room or 2. The problem will be the front desk. If you show up with a reservation for 4 and with a party of 4, they'll charge you the additional $$ for the 2 extra people.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by LKO
I think they mean you can have 2 guests total, not you plus 2 others. The front desk was very "by the book" regarding Marriott policies. I think they'll charge you the additional charge for 2 people. Many hotels in Europe only allow 2 per room, any additional (even if children) are an additonal price.

It's not really a matter of how many you can get into the lounge. Your room key will unlock the door and 4 of you could walk in. We were never asked for our room number in the lounge. I don't think the lounge attendants will know if you have 1 room or 2. The problem will be the front desk. If you show up with a reservation for 4 and with a party of 4, they'll charge you the additional $$ for the 2 extra people.
I see, well that kinda sucks, that's like an extra $60 a night (150DKK=~$30x2) jumping the upgrade to $140-150 a night. That's eclipsing the value at that point IMO.

Any chance the lounge access can be declined for the additional party members? I'm guessing no.

The reservation IS booked as a party of 4 BTW.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Sabre1
Thanks for the input VA1379. Pretty much what I've been thinking.

I've debated the Marriott card more for the status than the points. I'm not so sure the extra 5 points per dollar are worth it for international hotels due to the foreign transaction fees Chase nicks you with. I can completely avoid foreign transaction fees with my Schwab 2% cash back VISA.
Well, you will actually get 7 more points (including the bump to silver), and they have a signup bonus of 30,000 points. For an annual $65 fee, the free room certificates are worth it even without top or midlevel status.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by VA1379
Well, you will actually get 7 more points (including the bump to silver), and they have a signup bonus of 30,000 points. For an annual $65 fee, the free room certificates are worth it even without top or midlevel status.
The reservation for the 2 nights is ~ $800USD, which will yield ~$28 in Foreign Transaction charges if I used the Chase Marriott VISA (I believe Chase charges 3.5%) but will obtain 3500 extra Marriott points.

On the flip side, Schwab charges 0% for foreign transaction fees and gives a 2% cash rebate, thus I'd get $16 cash back.

Thus the question really is are 3500 points worth $44 ($28 and $16)? It's probably close (assuming a .01 value per point)? I lean towards the cash back on the Schwab being a better option for me, unless I'm way off on the Marriott point valuation.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LKO
Not sure about Copenhagen, but we (three of us) were in the Marriott Amsterdam last year, and the front desk told us it (lounge access) was for two and they asked if I wanted to pay for the third person (I forget the price). I am a Platinum.

I declined, thinking we could switch cards as we used the lounge, but it wasn't necessary. At least, no one ever stopped all of us from using the lounge for b'fast, snacks, etc.

YMMV.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
Not sure about Copenhagen, but we (three of us) were in the Marriott Amsterdam last year, and the front desk told us it (lounge access) was for two and they asked if I wanted to pay for the third person (I forget the price). I am a Platinum.

I declined, thinking we could switch cards as we used the lounge, but it wasn't necessary. At least, no one ever stopped all of us from using the lounge for b'fast, snacks, etc.

YMMV.
If I can decline it I'll do that, but if they're sticklers I'd rather have a regular room rate.

I think I'm going to have to call or email the hotel for clarification.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott PP, Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, AA Gold
Definitely worth it

Stay at this property frequently. If you don't have status to get the lounge access, then definitely go for the upgrade. Exec. floor room's mini bar is restocked once a day - one could totally empty the minibar out and it would be fully restocked. As for the lounge, some of the best Marriott employees in the system, free happy hour from 17:30 - 22:30, appetizers then desserts. Breakfast is adequate, snacks soft drinks throughout the day. A family of 4 just having breakfast in the hotel would be more expensive than the exec. floor upgrade. I have stayed here with my children, was never charged extra for having them in the room, reception staff was very cordial to them as well so it wasn't like we were hiding them. Go for it.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by LKO

FYI, for anyone else wondering about the executive level access for parties of 3 or 4 booked in an executive level room at the Copenhagen Marriott.

I emailed the hotel directly, and got the following response:
Dear Sabre1,

Thank you for your mail.

As you are booked 4 persons staying in 1 room with 2 queen-size beds you have all 4 access to the Executive Lounge for the two nights you stay with us on your 2 reservations.

If you were not all 4 staying in the same room the rate rules below with take effect, however as all 4 of you are staying together.

We look forward to recieving you and would like to take the opportunity to re-confirm with you that our guaranteed check-in time is 4PM on the day of arrival and check-out time is 12 Noon on the day of departure.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance.

Kind regards / Med venlig hilsen
This was great news for me, and definitely makes it worthwhile to book the executive level room! I thought others looking for similar info in the future might want to know as well.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:33 pm
LKO

Thanks for the update. That's good to know! You'll be glad you spent the extra $$ for the lounge. It will save you lots on food!
Old May 23, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta Plt,American Lifetime Platinum
Copenhagen Marriott

Traveling to Copenhagen on the 31st of July and am considering staying at the local Marriott for 5 nights.
I would welcome any comments and or suggestions.
Thank You In Advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.