Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SkiAdcock's AMS Marriott Trip Reports: Updated September 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkiAdcock's AMS Marriott Trip Reports: Updated September 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Hi Sharon,

Just wanted to provide some feedback from my first experience at the AMS Marriott ... Internet access seems really slow, both in the rooms and in the lounge. In this regard, I much prefer the Renaissance, but maybe it's just a bad day.

Edit: It was indeed a bad day, speed is much better today. The sun is also shining again, so maybe it will be possible to use the terrace of the lounge today.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
I mentioned it to the staff today, and they said iBahn was having server problems yesterday & it caused quite a headache for everyone.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It was over the bridge, to the right and down one of the narrow streets, but, then again, aren't those the directions to everything in Amsterdam?
True

On a dif note...

Was in one room the first night, but upgraded to my preferred room the next morning for the remainder of my stay. Dawned on me today that I had forgotten a watch in the first room. It's not expensive & was in a Golden Globe swag bag I received, so not the end of the world if I didn't get it back.

I was chatting with some employees, mentioned it, and they pulled out the lost & found book. The thing was HUGE - I was absolutely stunned how much stuff gets left behind - and at this property they record everything they find that's left behind - even down to a pack of cigarettes! They, of course, had my watch listed so I got it back.

What amazed them were some of the items left behind - like dentures (who leaves their teeth behind! ), canes, jewelry in the safe.

Can't speak for other properties, but if you're ever at the AMS Marriott you don't need to worry about not getting your stuff back.

Cheers.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:45 am
Original Poster

I took pictures of the executive lounge terrace & added them to the Amsterdam Marriott folder. They're on the last page.

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...rdam-marriott/

Cheers.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Great thread with lots of good information. My two cents:

Bus 197 is really the best way to the hotel from the airport. The stop is "Leiseplein", and all the buses have multiple screens in them that display the next 5 stops - so plenty of warning (in Dutch "volgende halte" means "next stop"). You pay the bus driver on board, they only accept bills up to 20euro. I wouldn't worry about missing the stop - Leidseplein is a large entertainment square where a lot of other people will exit. Once off the bus, the Marriott is behind you.

In general, I would actually recommend avoiding the Leidseplein area. It's overflowing with mediocre restaurants and overpriced bars catering to hordes of tourists (there are some hidden gems in the area, but they are few and far between). Much better to wander up towards the Jordaan (about 15-20 minute stroll, from Leidsestraat hang a left onto the Prinsengracht). You'll find much better restaurants and more local bars with better atmosphere and prices.

A steak place you should try next time in town is "Restaurant Red". It's on the corner of the Keizersgracht and Nieuwe Spiegelstraat (about 10-15min walk max from the Marriott). Some of the best steak in town, in arguably one of the best atmospheres in town - and reasonable prices. Only two things on the menu: steak or lobster, or both (20euro for steak, about 35 euro for both). Reservations are basically a must.

If you have some time in town, there's a group called the St Nicolaas boat club that is a non-profit run by a group of friends that gives boat rides on nice old restored canal boats (not the huge tourist boats). It's donation only, we usually give 10euro per person. It's not a technically a tour, but a great way to really experience Amsterdam like a local. They operate out of Mike's Bike these days, from the Marriott just walk up Leidsestraat to Kerkstraat and hang a right (also about a 10 minute walk).

Sorry to get a bit off topic: Amsterdam is a great town, and the Marriott is a great choice with a good central location!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:08 pm

Loved this thread and it really prepared me for what to expect.

Personally found the lounge crowded and the "pickings" slightly slim especially as we only eat vegetarian (would probably have seemed better otherwise).

Wired internet access in room was much better than I expected (plat so it was complimentary)

Great location and many food choices (even late night) just a couple of blocks away.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
Thanks for all of the information on the hotel.
I enjoyed my second stay here last week. Love the access to tram and bus lines.
As a silver, on a Priceline room ($120 per night), I was offered Club access for $115 a night for two. I was happy with the coffee machine set-up in the lobby.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 9809JD
Great thread with lots of good information. My two cents:

Bus 197 is really the best way to the hotel from the airport. The stop is "Leiseplein", and all the buses have multiple screens in them that display the next 5 stops - so plenty of warning (in Dutch "volgende halte" means "next stop"). You pay the bus driver on board, they only accept bills up to 20euro. I wouldn't worry about missing the stop - Leidseplein is a large entertainment square where a lot of other people will exit. Once off the bus, the Marriott is behind you.

In general, I would actually recommend avoiding the Leidseplein area. It's overflowing with mediocre restaurants and overpriced bars catering to hordes of tourists (there are some hidden gems in the area, but they are few and far between). Much better to wander up towards the Jordaan (about 15-20 minute stroll, from Leidsestraat hang a left onto the Prinsengracht). You'll find much better restaurants and more local bars with better atmosphere and prices.

A steak place you should try next time in town is "Restaurant Red". It's on the corner of the Keizersgracht and Nieuwe Spiegelstraat (about 10-15min walk max from the Marriott). Some of the best steak in town, in arguably one of the best atmospheres in town - and reasonable prices. Only two things on the menu: steak or lobster, or both (20euro for steak, about 35 euro for both). Reservations are basically a must.

If you have some time in town, there's a group called the St Nicolaas boat club that is a non-profit run by a group of friends that gives boat rides on nice old restored canal boats (not the huge tourist boats). It's donation only, we usually give 10euro per person. It's not a technically a tour, but a great way to really experience Amsterdam like a local. They operate out of Mike's Bike these days, from the Marriott just walk up Leidsestraat to Kerkstraat and hang a right (also about a 10 minute walk).

Sorry to get a bit off topic: Amsterdam is a great town, and the Marriott is a great choice with a good central location!
Thanks for the additional info. I'll update post # 1 to direct people to this post for some extra info. I'll have to try the boat club the next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Originally Posted by orknot2be
Loved this thread and it really prepared me for what to expect.

Personally found the lounge crowded and the "pickings" slightly slim especially as we only eat vegetarian (would probably have seemed better otherwise).

Wired internet access in room was much better than I expected (plat so it was complimentary)

Great location and many food choices (even late night) just a couple of blocks away.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
The evening offerings used to be more robust until the then-GM (now switched to Spain) discovered everyone was making the evening offerings their meal which impacted his restaurant revenue & so lightened up on the evening offerings, and increased the breakfast offerings.

And in a case of YVMV I found evening offerings slim because there were veggie offerings & I'm not that big a veggie and/or humus person

Also agree it's a great location for many things.

Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

I've updated post # 1 with additional information based on my stay this past week. Will get the mod to update the title.

Cheers.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:33 am

Leidseplein (darn Dutch spelling!) was a highlight of our trip evenings (on vacation, with children, summer).

The street performers there were a lot of fun to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidseplein

Vondelpark was a nice part of our days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vondelpark
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
At the Marriott exec lounge right now. Guest staff here has been great. A staff person who followed up with me on the virtual concierge greeted me after arriving. I got an upgrade to a corner room from the VC request, and was delivered a nice bouquet for the fiancée + a complimentary stack of stroop waffles. All the other staff has been great. Would definitely recommend this place. Got a LNF rate here for 126ish Euros too.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

Greetings to Sharon in particular from the lounge of the AMS Marriott. Lounge staff still as nice as ever.

Recognized as a Plat Premier, with an upgrade to a corner room.

And for those of you paying attention, happy Queen's day to all, the last one for years to come.

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:35 pm

Hi all,

And for those of you paying attention, happy Queen's day to all, the last one for years to come.

GenevaFlyer
Are there still countrywide 'garage' sales on Queen's Day?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Are there still countrywide 'garage' sales on Queen's Day?
There certainly are here in Amsterdam.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Greetings to Sharon in particular from the lounge of the AMS Marriott. Lounge staff still as nice as ever.

Recognized as a Plat Premier, with an upgrade to a corner room.

GenevaFlyer
Tell the staff I said hi & I'll see them in September. Happy Birthday/abdication to the Queen!

Cheers.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald
We'll be in A'dam 6/10-13 finishing up a 3 week trip. For the first time I'll need to rent a car and do some travels in the country, I'm usually driven around by the companies or growers (I'm an orchid breeder here in Hawaii) that I do business with. But, they'll all be busy with a very large bi-annual Flower Trials and can't assist me.
SO.... I wanted to stay on the outskirts of the city but still have easy access to the Center. In the past year I've built up a few hundred thousand points thru CC use and want to start using them up. I'm only a Silver so can't expect any upgrades. The Marriott and the Ren are both 105,000 for those 3 nights. I'm leaning towards the Marriott since I'll have a car and want to get out of the city as easily as possible.
Any suggestions or better options?
Old May 11, 2013, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiino
We'll be in A'dam 6/10-13 finishing up a 3 week trip. For the first time I'll need to rent a car and do some travels in the country, I'm usually driven around by the companies or growers (I'm an orchid breeder here in Hawaii) that I do business with. But, they'll all be busy with a very large bi-annual Flower Trials and can't assist me.
SO.... I wanted to stay on the outskirts of the city but still have easy access to the Center. In the past year I've built up a few hundred thousand points thru CC use and want to start using them up. I'm only a Silver so can't expect any upgrades. The Marriott and the Ren are both 105,000 for those 3 nights. I'm leaning towards the Marriott since I'll have a car and want to get out of the city as easily as possible.
Any suggestions or better options?
I'd pick either the Marriott or the Airport Courtyard. The Marriott is in Amsterdam so easier access to the center; the Courtyard makes it easier to get around as you're already out of the city/on the outskirts.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.