FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Hilton Head, SC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/730523-marriott-hilton-head-sc.html)

jmsteiner Aug 29, 2007 12:42 pm

Marriott Hilton Head, SC

I haven't seen any recent comments on the Marriott properties on Hilton Head, SC. I have a timeshare week to use and was thinking of Grand Ocean, Barony Bay, or Heritage.

Anybody have experiences or thoughts to share?

Thanks in advance for the help.

hhoope01 Aug 29, 2007 1:18 pm

I have to admit that I have never been to Hilton Head myself. So I can't directly comment on any of the properties there. But if you don't get much feedback here, you might try The Timeshare Users Group (specifically the Marriott forum there.) They know their timeshares there. :cool:

CarolDisney1 Aug 29, 2007 5:19 pm

I think the Heritage is equal to the Harbour Club so DO NO STAY THERE!

I was very disappointed in a recent stay at the Harbour Club. I wrote Marriott and never even received an apology, but based on the quality of the room, the complete INEFFICENCY of the front desk and the "trash" left outside my room for two days..... NEVER AGAIN!!!

Barony is brand new so I bet it's good and Grande Ocean has a great location.

Dave M Aug 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Grande Ocean generally gets the nod for the top Marriott timeshare resort in Hilton Head. Here is an one example and another of the comments on TUG that respond to your question.

Assuming you have a Marriott timeshare and want to trade for an off-season week in the winter, you should do well. If you want a peak week (e.g., mid June through late August), you had better have a great trading Marriott week (e.g., a Platinum week) and put your exchange request in a full 12-13 months in advance.

Delta3MM Aug 31, 2007 1:16 am

I own at grande ocean, and find it is comparable to most other mvci properties. I generally stay there once a year and don't exchange for other properties, but have stayed at at least 10+ other MVCI properties.

Units are all 2BR non-lockoff. Property is on the beach, but not all units have a view of the beach. Pools are nice.

Parking space is limited on property, there are more spaces across the street.

The other properties, that they are still selling, are newer and in better condition. But, Grande Ocean is still very nice.

Billy

ArtM Aug 31, 2007 6:35 am

Grande Ocean has just gone through a major refurb so everything was in great condition when we were there in March.

Another resort to consider is Surf Watch which is still in developer sales. While it is newer Grande Ocean, like Barony it is not as much in the center of HHI action, and it is not directly on the beach.

Art

SteveVA2 Sep 4, 2007 10:05 am

I own two ts weeks at the Barony. It's a great facility with a nice beach. Near lots of great restaurants.

DENtravels Sep 5, 2007 7:33 am

Grande Ocean, Barony or Surf Watch. They are all nice properties with beach access and are listed in my personal preference.

The walk to the beach gets a bit longer as you move down my list. However, if needed, they run golf cart shuttles.

I am always happy to get my week at any of the above!

jredknapp11 Sep 7, 2007 1:40 pm

Friendly advice.... skip Hilton Head... worked in the hotel industry for two years out on HHI and all I can say is you'd be better off in Charleston.

uaclt1k Jun 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Any recent experiences?

Considering booking two rooms w/points in the Hilton Head area. It would be me, my wife, and my daughter (infant), Father-in-law, and Mother-in-law. Looking to go in August. Anyone stayed at a Marriott property in this area recently? Any Recommendations?

bitburgr Jun 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Now this is how you treat Plat Elites!

jjnv Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by uaclt1k (Post 16568469)
Considering booking two rooms w/points in the Hilton Head area. It would be me, my wife, and my daughter (infant), Father-in-law, and Mother-in-law. Looking to go in August. Anyone stayed at a Marriott property in this area recently? Any Recommendations?

Check craigslist. I just checked this morning and found quite a few attractive deals at Marriott Vacation Club properties in Hilton Head. It will be a lot more enjoyable with kitchen and washer/dryer.