Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by leeky
Is the Shanghai Centre still owned by the City of Shanghai?
Not to my knowledge. Was it ever?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:26 am
Suspended

Back in the days when Simon Dowell moved over from the JW lounge to the soon to be opened Centre my reservations couldn't be honored as the City refused to grant them a permit beyond the function rooms and he informed me that the City was the owner (of this and several other Marriott branded props in Shanghai).
We were accommodated at the JW (and Simon came over to show us the secret library door on top of the lounge - great view at night) then and upon our return to Shanghai, after a trip up to Harbin for their ice festival (only -37C) Simon arranged a great suite for us at the Centre.
Unfortunately Simon is no longer at the Centre.

Originally Posted by moondog
Not to my knowledge. Was it ever?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by leeky
Back in the days when Simon Dowell moved over from the JW lounge to the soon to be opened Centre my reservations couldn't be honored as the City refused to grant them a permit beyond the function rooms and he informed me that the City was the owner (of this and several other Marriott branded props in Shanghai).
We were accommodated at the JW (and Simon came over to show us the secret library door on top of the lounge - great view at night) then and upon our return to Shanghai, after a trip up to Harbin for their ice festival (only -37C) Simon arranged a great suite for us at the Centre.
Unfortunately Simon is no longer at the Centre.
The portman predates tomorrow square by a solid 10 years.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:21 am

What's a ballpark taxi fare for two adults with at least four large suitcases plus a few carryons traveling from Pudong to City Centre?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by diseased
What's a ballpark taxi fare for two adults with at least four large suitcases plus a few carryons traveling from Pudong to City Centre?
From the pudong airport about 170 rmb, some suitcases will go in front seat.
From the pudong convention center area, about 80 rmb
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Jiatong
From the pudong convention center area, about 80 rmb
From 路家族 it's only 25, but taxis aren't easy to snag and uber drivers fear ljz.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Jiatong
Sometimes you will find a LPG tank in the trunk and they can barely fit one suitcase! Of course if they can't stack the suitcases in the front seat, switch to a gasoline powered cab...

The airport buses are by far the cheapest options. Many go to hotel areas but you have to research which number buses go where. Pay in cash. You can then take a cab from drop off points if needed.

Last edited by dmodemd; Sep 9, 2015 at 8:58 am
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Stayed at the JW Tomorrow Square and City Centre a few months back, and while the hotel is better at the JW, I found City Centre a lot more convenient to the shops/food (it's much easier to just pop out and walk to those places rather than the extra 10 minutes from the JW along the People's Square)

Just got back from a stay at the Renaissance Yu Garden, that gave me a comp upgrade to a club level, and had a great view of the Bund. The breakfast was lackluster in my opinion, but otherwise, the lounge was pretty good. I'm off to the JW in a few days and am looking forward to it. I think it is my personal favorite in Shanghai at the moment (although I tend to spend more time in the Portman because it is closer to my office).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
JW Marriott Tomorrow Square Thanksgiving

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/feature.../shdaily.shtml

They're doing a special traditional Thanksgiving meal on the American Thanksgiving. Also looks like you can even order one from their cafe in advance if you want one at home.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Finishing another great stay at the JW Tomorrow Square. This evening in the CL, the GM was making the rounds chatting with the guests. A very nice touch! This is one of my favorite properties, along with the JWM-BKK.

But there was a DYKWIA moment: Early in the cocktail hour, one of the associates came around asking for room numbers, as they usually do. They carry a clipboard with authorized guests. At the table next to mine, the gentleman gave his room number, and the associate said nicely, "I'm sorry, sir, you're not on my list of authorized CL users." He replied in a loud voice, "HEY - I'M A MARRIOTT SILVER! I'M ONE OF MARRIOTT'S BEST CUSTOMERS!" [CUE: Laughter from all over the CL ] The agent gave him the option to up-fare his stay to include access, and he begrudgingly signed on.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden

Staying at Ren Yu Garden next week Saturday - Tuesday. Any can't miss food/ drink/ things to see around this hotel?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:22 pm

Although a new member to his forum, my family members and I have been staying in various hotels in the Shanghai / Jiangsu region for the past 15 years or so. Would highly recommend the following Marriott's in SH:

JW Marriott Tomorrow Square: Most have recommended this hotel already, not much to add. Great choice due to location.

Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong: Exceptional hotel, even by the bang-for-the-buck standards in Shanghai. Excellent lounge and rooftop bar, try to go sometime September / early October for the weather and exceptional views. If you're considering the JW Tomorrow Square, would actually recommend staying here instead, as often times prices are quite similar.

Rennaissance Zhongshan Park: Very convenient hotel, close to many of Shanghai's cultural tourist attractions. Rooms are decent, high-floors, frequent availability for redemption / points on short notice (think flight delayed, need a room tonight).

Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside: Highly recommend this hotel (Also called Marriott Luwan or "Ludi wanhao". Convenient, especially for the Pudong area, excellent rooms for the price, and gold/plat members can easily get upgraded to suites. Lounge has decent food throughout the day (see many business travelers eating dinners there, as the afternoon "snack" has a lot of options and oftentimes lasts until 8:00, depending on number of people at the lounge). Also quite child-friendly.

JW Marriott Changfeng Park: Another highly recommended hotel though slightly out-of-the-way in western Shanghai (putuo). Used to be a regular Marriott, recently rebranded and rooms undergoing upgrades. Central location between xintiandi area and hongqiao hub. Another one with excellent lounge drink and food selection (have seen non-stop Peking Duck, prime rib, and rotisserie chicken here in past stays at the 5:30 PM snack time), and also another good selection for gold/plat complimentary upgrades. Certain rooms have great views of the Pearl, Shanghai Tower, and the "beer bottle opener" building.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:08 pm

Interesting analysis, JT.

A few comments:
-I noticed the portman is missing from your list. Any reason for this? I know it's now considered old by Shanghai hotel standards, but its pool is still my favorite, and location is unrivaled
-I too love like the RC pudong, but not quite enough to justify staying over there
-I went to dinner at the changfang park Marriott once, and was reasonably impressed by the facilities....nowhere near xtd (I live there) though
-the zhongshan park Marriott is a pretty good value
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jtbatahk
Although a new member to his forum, my family members and I have been staying in various hotels in the Shanghai / Jiangsu region for the past 15 years or so. Would highly recommend the following Marriott's in SH:
Welcome to Flyertalk & thanks for the recommendations!

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:14 am

Sorry for the late replies.

moondog: I've only stayed at the Portman twice, and not recently. Found the service no where near as good as the others (then again, maybe because of frequent stays and the staff all mostly know me). Also found availability to book with points very difficult on short notice (do this quite often myself, due to changed/delay flights), and TBH didn't like the clientele at the lounge (sorry, but absolutely hate the across-the-room slurping noises while eating).

The location's great if you're staying primarily in the area of Nanjing Xilu, but trying to get in/out of the area with that traffic is somewhat insane. Great for business in the immediate area though, and that street has a lot of shops and great eateries.

Never been to the pool at those stays, may try it out sometime in the near future.

Although not a Marriott, would highly recommend the Langham since you live in the area. Fab lounge, and the free 2 hour access to the meeting room is a plus. Have held a meeting there for almost 4 hours and they didn't charge.

Alot of Gold/Plat members probably can get this perk (use of meeting room on lounge level) for free at various Marriotts in Shanghai, but I find it hard to get at JW Tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.