Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2004, 3:17 am
Patron

Originally Posted by moondog
...i personally wouldn't waste points in shanghai -- too many decent options at around $60 per night)
Do you mind sharing some of your favorites with us?

Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:09 pm

Cat 7 in Shanghai? What a waste of points. The location of that hotel is really not great BTW.

In Shanghai, you shld check out the Grand Hyatt and the new Westin.

Originally Posted by Patron
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Patron
since my last post, i've actually started to come around to idea of using points for the jw (even in spite of the cat 7 issue). i'm not saying i would do so myself, but the jw really is pretty nice and i actually like the location (which is saying a lot because i'm pretty picky when it comes to location).

as for my personal picks, before going further, it's worth pointing out that i'm pretty easy to please insofar as quality is concerned. all i require is a good location, a clean largish room, and comfortable bedding. a good gym is a bonus, but those are few and far between in china below the 5-star level (you can always get a day pass at the portman for y100 anyway).

shanghai hotel/jingan hotel -- these hotels (which are really one in the same) are directly behind the hilton on ulumuqi road and huashan road. the shanghai hotel is the nicest, followed by the new wing of the jingan hotel. i would not stay in the old wing of the jing-an again (not much cheaper than the new wing and considerably worse.)

yan'an hotel -- i mention this property because the location is very good (just south of jingan park on yan'an road), it's cheap, and it's popular though it's not one of my favorites.

hengshan hotel -- one of the best values in shanghai imo. i also like the location. although nanjing road and the bund are a bit of a treck, there are lots of good restaurants over there and you get easy access to maoming road, fuxing park, and xintianti via fuxing road.

huating hotel -- the quality has ebbed a bit since its starwood career ended a few years back, but not nearly as much as the prices. on the other hand, the location is suboptimal as far as i'm concerned.

ruijin guesthouse -- the ruijin is a great choice for those of you that want a colonial shanghai experience. it is comprised of several buildings in ruijin park (one of shanghai's trendier parks -- popularized by the face bar and occupied by the economist magazine) close to: huai hai road shopping district, fuxing park, xintiandi, and maoming road.

okura garden hotel -- good value, pretty gardens, nice rooms.

88 xintiandi -- kind of a mini soho grand in xintiandi. not cheap, but still less than most of the branded 5-stars.

as far as prices are concerned, you can get a general idea from ctrip and negotiate from there (if you so desire).

Last edited by moondog; Jun 15, 2004 at 1:51 am
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:40 am
Patron

Valuable Travel Packages for someone who spends 7 nights in one hotel

Originally Posted by moondog
as far as prices are concerned, you can get a general idea from ctrip and negotiate from there (if you so desire).
Thank you very much for this link & taking the time to share your hotel suggestions with us! ^

Originally Posted by mntblue
Cat 7 in Shanghai? What a waste of points. The location of that hotel is really not great BTW.
If someone likes to redeem MR points in Marriott properties in Shanghai, he/she has four options, one of them is the JW (Cat 6) which I suggested. A seven day Cat 6 award goes for 130K MR points, if you invest 250K MR points for a travel package, you can transfer 85/120K miles into your (participating) FFP account. Assuming one night at JW costs USD 200,--/night, I value it useful to redeem MR points under OPs scenario.

Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:33 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

I also have a suggestion

Another reward that can also be used at the JW Shanghai is the new Asia - Pacific Hopper Reward. This reward is offered to elite members only and is good for 7 nights split at any 3 participating properties in Australia and Asia.

For only 100,000 points you would receive 2 certificates valid for 2 consecutive nights and 1 certificate valid for 3 consecutive nights.

And you get the flexibility of choosing different properties as well as the opportunity to combine the 3 certificates in whatever way you choose. The reward code is 11E and can be requested via the web or by phone.

For more details and other elite exclusive awards please see the new thread I have started or click on the following link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329596
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:29 am

Programs: UA GS MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks!!!

It seems like it's the JW Marriott on the AP Hopper award - cool beans.

I am looking forward to spoiling both my husband and my little boy.

Thank for great advice - it is so nice to have your first hand experience to draw from.

Froeken
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:03 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Latest reports on JW Marriott Shanghai?

I'm staying there in the beginning of August --- how does the property compare with the Grand Hyatt?

It's still pretty new, and I've read some encouraging reviews here. Anyone else have recent experiences?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:09 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
JW Marriott Shanghai Reports

I'm staying there in the beginning of August --- how does the property compare with the Grand Hyatt?

It's still pretty new, and I've read some encouraging reviews here. Anyone else have recent experiences?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 4:04 pm

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tripmaster

I have not stayed at the Grand Hyatt during the last 12 months. Stayed at the JW for 6 days two weeks ago. Paid for executive level and as plat was upgraded to a huge suite.

Cocktail hours are 5:30 - 9:30 PM - 4 hours Great service. Could not say anything bad.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:26 am
Community Director Emerita

Can anyone compare the Marriott to the Hilton, both in terms of location and in terms of quality of property?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat,Hilton Diamond,Lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier
JW Shanghai Marriott

I did not stay at the hilton, but the JW was perhaps the best hotel I have ever stayed. I was upgraded to the executive level and the breakfast and dinner service was the best.

Enjoy
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:22 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jib
Don't discount the Shanghai Marriott, I was there two weeks ago and found it to be an excellent property.
I was hoping to hear some good news, the property is only $60US per night, (thanks to magic111 for the heads up on this cancelable rate)
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:58 am

Programs: NWA Plt,AA ExPlt,UA Pre,USAir Gld,*wood Plat, HIL Gld, Hyatt Gld, PriorityCl Plt, Marriot Silv
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I was hoping to hear some good news, the property is only $60US per night, (thanks to magic111 for the heads up on this cancelable rate)
um, your replying to a 3 yr old post. dont know if you been waiting for a response that long.

Anyways, if you going to shanghai, go the relatively new JW Marriot. This place is extremely nice place to stay and easily accessible to lots of shanghai has to offer.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:58 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rehabusrab
um, your replying to a 3 yr old post. dont know if you been waiting for a response that long.
um, well aware as I would have had to have searched for a thread to reply to it, thanks for the feedback.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Hotel Transfers: Shanghai Airport -> JW Marriott

I'll be staying at the JWM in Shanghai for the first time later this month. I'll be flying to Shanghai from PEK and have a choice of either SHA or PVG to land into.

It appears SHA is much closer to the hotel. I was wondering if anyone has used the hotel limo or pickup service from SHA before.
If so:
-What would the charges be like?
-Any ideas whether it is a 'greet at aircraft' or is it a wait outside with a name board type of service?
-How do I book it?
I just called the 0800 Marriott reservations number and they had no information about this, nor were they willing to contact the hotel.

So do I need to telephone the hotel myself for this? Is there any email address where I could send this request to or any contact for this...

thanks a heap in advance!

cheers
AJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.