Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Misuse of Corporate\Discounted Rate Codes

Misuse of Corporate\Discounted Rate Codes

Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:17 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My comment for Marriott_Guy is very simple: please enforce the rates at check-in. You'll solve the problem for all of us. If the front desk staff are going to let people abuse things like negotiated rate codes then they are meaningless. As you stated, legitimate users of the codes will be punished while the "sneaks" will benefit. If a rate code requires an ID or some other form of proof of eligibility, then please CHECK IT! The legitimate user won't have any problem with that at all, I assure you.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by keeton
This describes my situation exactly. One thing - if you book with Marriott directly then it is non-commissionable so Marriott makes a few extra dollars on the deal. Sometimes I have had to call the client's travel agent in order to get their corporate rate, which makes it commissionable.

I do appreciate Marriott_Guy's thoughts on this, however.
I just depends on how the travel program, I've seen some travel managers state "if it isn't booked through our in-house travel department it doesn't qualify for the rate," I've seen others not care how it's booked but then provide a 20 page list of the various companies they own and who are able to use the parent companies rate (the one example that is coming to mind is a fortune 10 company and you couldn't have guessed some of the organizations they owned outside of their mainline business)....one thing to remember is with the advancements in intranet booking tools it's easier for travel managers to customize their travel programs to their organizations individual needs as well as track their usage from various vendors
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm with Iceman.

Make us show our ID at checkin. If we cant produce it than hit us with the rack rate.

Simple solution.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schriste
...my final thought on this is perhaps the Marriott Long Warf in Boston really would like me to book the illegitimate rate this weekend… if I did they would have any extra $179 a night they might not otherwise have.
Good point there. While a discussion on the ethics surrounding the use of corporate codes may be valid, let's not forget the economics here either. I know that part of my decision to stay in a hotel will be based on the rate that I have to pay versus the value I receive from my stay. If I can't get a rate for a property that's in line with my perception of that property's value, I'll look elsewhere.

Remember, hotel rates aren't set in stone. They flux with whatever market forces might dictate. I'm sure that there are many hotel operators out there who would rather sell a discounted room than no room at all.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Hilton GM for 20+ years, but not an offical spokeperson
Thank for the feedback all... it is appreciated. Since there were a couple of points that were mentioned on a couple of posts, I'll refrain from quoting everyone and just hit on the the common themes.

Regarding the tracking of nights/DOW (day of week) stay pattern for a certain company; this is primarily done by the hotel - since we have solid data on who books what rate on what night. Most larger companies keep track of this data as well, through either an internal travel department or outsourced through a TMC (travel mgmt company). This is how the data is obtained and compared. Depending on the negotiated rate contract, the rate can be extended to the clients/vendors of the company. This is part of the negotiation process.

Some companies do dictate that business travel be conducted through a TMC. At times these rates are commissionable. When this does occur (a commission is required by the TMC), both the company and the hotel is aware of this and it is figured into the agreed upon rate.

I agree - we (my hotel) should be more consistent on checking IDs for rate discounts. Thanks for pointing that out - and I took your posts on this as requesting a consistent delivery of service and expectations from checking into a (my) hotel. Very good observation.

Thanks for the supporting posts as well - it is appreciated given the topic at hand.

Thanks all and, as always, your comments (not your 'onions') are welcomed
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
I'm staying at the Berlin Marriott this weekend. I went on their website, chose a rate with breakfast, and was very happy with it. Then I saw a thread about the corporate rates and went onto the Marriott res site and typed in the code of several corporates. Lo and behold it brought up exactly the same rate as I had booked. The only exception was Marriott employees and I wasn't happy choosing that. In the event it would have only saved me a few Euros.

I guess their promise to provide the best available rates actually means something.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rothrob
Remember, hotel rates aren't set in stone. They flux with whatever market forces might dictate. I'm sure that there are many hotel operators out there who would rather sell a discounted room than no room at all.

Ok then.
Book the rack rate and when you check in ask if there is a better rate for which you qualify or if the property can throw in breakfest.

Booking a rate you are not entitled to is stealing from the property and stealing from those of us who are entitled to book that rate.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), MR Lifetime PLT, Avis First
I'm not sure where the ethically "gray" area is. To me it's simple. If you aren't part of the company that negotiated the rate, you can't use it.

You may be able to rationalize that the hotel would rather book a discounted room than have an empty room, but it's up the to hotel to make that decision, not you.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:35 am

Please permit me to add a new dimension to this thread.

There is a Ren property in Western PA which offers PA government employees a rate of $91.00. I on the other hand am more or less a free agent, who is confronted with paying a rate in the $200.00 range, to stay at the same hotel, based on the AAA rate, if it is available.

To my way of thinking, this constitutes too much of of a gap. The PA employees are on per diems, which are essentially exhausted after thay have had breakfast in the hotel, if they in fact do so, along with a drink or two at happy hour. On the other hand, I and many others are probably good for $100.00 or so in daily F&B expenditures.

As a result of what I consider to be the Ren's price gouging, I now stay at a nearby FS Marriott @ $150.00 or so per night.

Marriott corporate should consider extending a competitive rate to Rewards members, based on their spending/number of stays to restore some equilibrium to this rate disparity.

Just my opinion.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by patrick75248
I'm not sure where the ethically "gray" area is. To me it's simple. If you aren't part of the company that negotiated the rate, you can't use it.

You may be able to rationalize that the hotel would rather book a discounted room than have an empty room, but it's up the to hotel to make that decision, not you.
All the hotel has to do is ask for your ID... problem solved.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
deleted
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rebadc
Booking a rate you are not entitled to is stealing from the property and stealing from those of us who are entitled to book that rate.
While I can appreciate your zeal for this issue, I do feel compelled to point out that staying in a hotel at a discounted rate is hardly comperable to walking away with the television from your room.

I was merely contributing the fact that, while hotels certainly are in the business of making as much money as they are able to for their services, an empty room generates no revenue at all. What hotel operator would rather see a room sit empty then to have it be occupied, even at a discounted rate?

Like many other people who have signed off on this issue, I too have worked for and with companies that encourage or require the use of their corporate discount codes, some even for personal travel. After all, it's up to the parties negotiating or offering the various rates to determine who is "entitled" to use them.

In the end, its as much about economics as ethics.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: MR Skymiles
One grey area that I would like to ask the group about. If I spend 150+ nights during a year on a corporate rate legitimately, what is the impact of me using that same rate for a few weekend getaways? I have always looked on it as a perk of living on the road.

I agree that ID should be checked at sign in, and if it turns out you have no ID your reservation is canceled and you have the option of getting a room at the walk up rate if there is availability.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by rothrob
I was merely contributing the fact that, while hotels certainly are in the business of making as much money as they are able to for their services, an empty room generates no revenue at all. What hotel operator would rather see a room sit empty then to have it be occupied, even at a discounted rate?

in the end, its as much about economics as ethics.
Well then, it's easy. Just ask the property in advance if its okay to use the corporate code you're not entitled to. Point out to them your argument that some revenue is better than none. If they say okay, you've got no problem. Otherwise, to get a lower rate by utilizing a corporate rate you're not entitled to, sounds awfully close to retail fraud.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Just ask the property in advance if its okay to use the corporate code...
And why not do just that? It's certainly not "retail fraud" to ask for a better deal. Admittedly, rate rules are in place for a reason. But if you survey 100 guests from the same hotel you're likely to find as many different room rates.

Otherwise, if one guest is satisfied with the room rate they've paid knowing that there is another guest who was able to get a better rate for the same room type, everyone is still satisfied.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.