Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Incompetency runs rampant at Frenchman's Reef

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This issue was in 2006. Presumably things have changed since then.
Print Wikipost

Incompetency runs rampant at Frenchman's Reef

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just in case you didn't notice, the last post in this thread before yours is from over 10 years ago. The OP hasn't logged in to FT in 5 years, so you might not be getting a response.
That was my first thought. Also, if things aren't the same at the property 10 years later, it does a bit of a disservice to have it as the title.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I read up on this place before staying here. Cashed in 180k for 5 nights.

After reading the reviews I had pretty low expectations. Boy I wasn't even close, I won't be going back.

Of course enjoy that $25 resort fee, you'll at least get free bottles of water. Plan to spend $250-$300 on food / drinks here. All the on-site restaurants basically serve the same boring menu. A couple bars have happy hour between 5-7, but it's nothing to write home about.

The rooms are tired. There's only one air conditioned restaurant / bar on property, so plan to sweat your brains off while out for a bite to eat. Typical resort pricing on food / drinks.

The major drawback here is there no other option to eat. Unless you cab it into town, you're stuck.

This has to be the crappiest Cat 9 I've ever seen in my life. From what I'm reading there's not too many better options on this island.

Totally unimpressed and I won't be back.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by BarryL
From what I'm reading there's not too many better options on this island.
It sounds like some of your issues don't really have anything to do w/ the property (ie, resort pricing usually higher than non-resort pricing), or in some cases lack of checking out the property & nearby dining options. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Tired rooms, lack of ac and the same menu being served at all the resort restaurants seem pretty specific to me. And helpful. I certainly won't be bothering to visit this resort.
Thanks for posting a review!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:22 am

The hotel does need some sprucing up. It is in need of a paint job.

Staff was nice. Basically same food but good. No tax or service charges added so prices are a little lower than the other Caribbean islands.

We only stayed in Reef one night the rest of the week was at the Cove which was well kept. We did enjoy our time in St Thomas. It was very relaxing low key. Just what we wanted.
We would go back.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The 'resort fee' is $45 during the winter which is quite outrageous... is it less during off-peak?

The on site restaurants are better for breakfast and lunch... Sunset Grill over the main pool has a good lunch menu. Not so much for dinner.
Coco Joes down at the beach has good lunch and dinner menu, and they have some themed buffets there a couple nights a week.
The other restaurant in the hotel has breakfast buffet or al a carte daily I believe, and the bar/lounge next to it has a decent light evening menu.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I would agree that Frenchman's Reef is not worth 45,000 points per night, but I think the biggest mistake was not having a car to explore St. Thomas. There are beautiful beaches and fantastic restaurants throughout the island.

We stayed at The Morning Star Beach Club (adjacent to Frenchman's Reef) back in August and enjoyed our stay. We had an oceanfront room on the third floor and it was nice being able to walk right out to the beach. The furniture was a little worn, and bathroom was certainly nothing to write home about, but for the price we paid ($230 a night + $50 resort credit per night) it was fine for us. The resort fee was waived for us, not sure if it was because of status or because I notified GM about the fact we were celebrating our 30th anniversary.) In addition to the resort shuttle, wireless internet and bottled water, the resort fee includes use of the tennis courts, tennis racquets and beach equipment, such as snorkeling gear, boogie boards, kayaks, rubber rafts every day of the stay. We used the beach equipment each day we spent at the beach and our teenage daughter loved having access to a kayak for free (normally $30 per hour).

You won't find the same food on the menu at Havanna Blu, which is an excellent restaurant. Very pricey, but very worth it! Had some of the best food (Sea Bass) there. Coco Joes is good for breakfast and the had some appetizers that were good (and reduced for Happy Hour). I would agree the other restaurants were just average and while each did have similar items on the menu (12oz Ribeye, Roasted Chicken) they also offered a couple of unique items so you could change things up.

IMHO, the bar prices are reasonable for a resort, $12 for a Pina Colada, $7 for a domestic bottled beer. $24 for a bucket of 4 domestics. $14 for specilaity cocktails including one they called, Walk the Plank," which includes five different rums and if you returned with the souvenir cup, refills were $10.

We took the ferry boat ($7 each way) from Frenchman's to downtown Charlotte Amalie and found a great local spot for breakfast that was not expensive at all (Bumpas ~ $45 for three including coffee & juice).

The grounds throughout the resort were very well kept and we found the all of the staff friendly and welcoming. If we went back to St. Thomas, we would consider staying there again.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They do have good happy hours at the various bars on site as well with much better drink prices... at least they did last Jan/Feb when I was there. You could basically time it to hop from one happy hour to the other
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by rylan
They do have good happy hours at the various bars on site as well with much better drink prices... at least they did last Jan/Feb when I was there. You could basically time it to hop from one happy hour to the other
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Forgot to mention that they had a Manager's Reception for Gold and Plat elites one night a week that featured wines, a variety of bottled beer, rum punch, and appetizers, that was pretty good.

Another night they had a complimentary wine tasting that featured a variety of reds, whites, sparkling wines, and soft drinks, as well as various cheeses, crackers, and chips. This event was open to all guests.

Both events ran from 5:30 - 7:00pm and were pretty well attended by guests and resort management when we were there. So if you don't want to pay the resort prices at the bar, you could still grab and a couple of free beers or glasses of wine at these two events.

Regards,

RIP...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.