Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Hello all- I had a question. About 2 and a half months ago i signed up for the mr visa card- i received my bonus 15k points, but have yet to see any sort of certificate...can anyone recommend who i need to call or email to see where the certificate is?
thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Did you check your online account? My appeared almost immediately upon receiving the card.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Where would i look? i've checked my MR points account- and i don't see anything except my points summary...is there some place specific i need to look??
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:34 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Once you have logged in, make sure you are at the "Account Activity" page. You should automatically see all of your stays, then after those, you should see any requested rewards, and finally any other points earned. The certification should be listed under the Rewards Requested section. It should says something like "Visa Free Night Category 4". If you have a long list of stays, you may have to scroll down to find them.

HTH.

Chip
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Once you have logged in, make sure you are at the "Account Activity" page. You should automatically see all of your stays, then after those, you should see any requested rewards, and finally any other points earned. The certification should be listed under the Rewards Requested section. It should says something like "Visa Free Night Category 4". If you have a long list of stays, you may have to scroll down to find them.

HTH.

Chip
Thanks for the tip on where to look. In my case the 15,000 pts posted on 2/21/06, but still no free night cert.

How long after the bonus pts posted did it take others to see the free night cert post?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:13 pm

For previous Marriott Visa cards I have requested, the "free night certificate" was the my first notification that I would be receiving the card. Everything else came later.

Actually, I am in the same boat as you for the "Premier" card. I can see my 2-for-1 Golf certificate as being ordered, and I have received the card, but not the free night certificate or the points. And based on the T&Cs I wasn't planning on arguing about the points, but I will probably give them a call in the next day or so to see whats up with the certificate.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:35 am
Original Poster

ok...so i followed your advice hhoope and here's what it said:

Unused Hotel Rewards A search of our records shows no unused hotel rewards currently associated with your account.

So...is there someone i can call or a place i can send an email?
thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:16 am

If you have your card, there should be a customer service number on the back. I would start by calling there. They should be able to see what certificates, if any, they have ordered for you.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
My 15000 bonus posted on 2/22, but my free night certificate has yet to arrive as well.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: Companion Pass Holder, Marriott Rewards Silver Elite
I had to call and ask about my free night cert. I waited until the second billing cycle. I recieved the points on the first billing cycle.Once I called and told them about the delay it arrived by mail pretty quick.
Deb-Indiana
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
I'm glad you got it. You should not have to call. Bad customer service in my opinion
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
My free night was also the first thing to show up. Then the golf a few days later and the 15 nights 2 days after that. Now just need the actual card and those 15K points.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Unhappy

I haven't received the free night cert either but have received everything else as promised. I called CS and was told it was mailed on 3/19???
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hilton Silver
I called today and was informed that I would have the certificate six weeks from the first statement closing date. So basically my first statement closes today so I should see the certificate by May 15.

I did however notice that they had no problem getting the annual fee added to my account before that first statement closed.

I really wish I had known it would take that long. I have a need for a personal over-night stay coming up and I was hoping to use the cert. Oh well.

The rep. on the phone was very rude as well. I really do not like Chase all that much.

Dagwood
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:26 pm

Programs: UMP MR
Unhappy

I just got my golf cert sat. I had my card for about a month. No points as I already have the reg marriots card and gotten another preimer one. I had to call in to get it. Once I called in I got the cert in about a week. I also got hit up with the annual fee for the new card and have not gotten the free night cert.
When I applied for the reg card last year the points and cert arrived/posted in a week of the card arriving.
I guess they make you wait for the cert now. PS - I still have not gotten hit up for the fee on my other card and I had that for 5 months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.