Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Cologne (Koln) Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, GPP Platinum, PC Platinum "Royal1day" Ambassador

Just stayed in the Presidential Suite of the new marriott cologne. The check-in was quick and professional (they are open for 1 month now). Very friendly young and energetic staff. The design is something between modern and art-deco, we really loved it. The suite is about 80 square metres large plus a 30 sqm. roof terrace with view of the cologne cathedral. Master bedroom with large and "heavenly" king bed...you"ll drown in all the pillows...
Master bathroom with bidet and seperate bathtub and shower. Amenities from Neutrogena. Conference/Dining room with large table for up to six persons. seperated living area with 2 couches and 1 armchair, very cosy.
1 guest toilet. All in all a very good value for round about 340,- Euros a night with acces to the executive lounge included.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Sounds great...

Cheers.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Thanks for the report! How was the lounge?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And the rest of the hotel - as much info as possible would be appreciated. Not all will be lucky enough to get the Presidential Suite. How was restaurants, bars, biz center, health club, etc, etc.

Cheers.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:29 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
And - if you have been in Cologne Renaissance - does Marriott really deserve 1 star less (it's rated 3* on most sites, while Renaissance 4*)?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, GPP Platinum, PC Platinum "Royal1day" Ambassador
Lounge was large with huge choice of evening snacks and drinks. Open from 00.60 to 24.00. Breakfast continental style. All in all offers similar to intercontinental club lounge.

3 Stars must be a mistake, hotel is rated with 5 stars, one more than renaissance, but i think compared with the ren cologne the marriott should have six stars!!!! it is much better.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum MM, Marriott Gold
Great place to stay in Cologne

We are staying in the Cologne Marriott this week and love it! The lounge is open from 6 AM to midnight. Breakfast buffet till 11 AM, with scrambled eggs, varietity of cheeses, cold cuts, cereal. Evening open bar begins at 5:30 PM with two hot snacks and variety of cold cuts, cheeses etc. and dessert. Fridge is stocked with pop and complementary beer (Kolsch, Stella Artois, Bitburger, etc.) all day. And FREE Wifi in the lounge as well (19.95 in the rooms). Tourist attractions are within a few blocks, as is the train station, so everything is within easy walking distance. Hotel is less than one year old. Rooms have walk-in shower without door on shower, and no bath tub (at least ours didn't). Highly recommended!
Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Nice reports. Just bookekd 3 nights for an upcoming trip. BTW, is there on site parking?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott PLAT
Cologne Marriott Parking

Underground tight parking...typical in Germany.

Word of caution...I scraped my rental car getting out of the lot onto the street. It's about as tight of turn as you can have....line it up straight when you go to exit!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jb2001
Underground tight parking...typical in Germany.

Word of caution...I scraped my rental car getting out of the lot onto the street. It's about as tight of turn as you can have....line it up straight when you go to exit!!!!!!!!!
I really appreciate the heads-up re exiting the underground parking lot at the hotel.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:36 am

August '07 Colonge Marriott Trip Report

I was at The Colonge Marriott for 7 nights a couple of weeks ago...

The hotel is very modern and met my "North American" expectations in staying at a Marriott. It is a 2 min. walk from the central train station and The Colonge Cathedral. At the station there are many options for grabbing a quick bite to eat. I enjoyed a Thai/Asian place that was very very good.

The front desk staff were very professional and welcoming. I received a suite upgrade the room number was 450. Plenty of space with a large bathroom and closet along with a separate sitting area with a desk.

Lounge on 6th floor is one of the best I have encountered with Marriott. Free WiFi and high- speed internet via two computer stations. Complimentary alcohol drinks, soft drinks and snacks all day and night. Breakfast was very good with fresh rolls, yoghurts, scrambled eggs, bacon and variety selection of cheese, cold cuts and fruit. Evening, consisted of sushi, quiche, seafood pizza, crab salad, chocolate mousse, fruit, cheese and other sweets.

The hotel has a nice fitness area mainly for cardio but there are free weights. No pool but there is two saunas that are unisex. Naked men and women abound in the open shower area (not suitable for children).

I tried the breakfast downstairs EUR 22 and it was also very good. But not worth it, if you have complimentary breakfast in the lounge, unless you want eggs made to order and waffles.

The location of this hotel is great as it's close to everything. The main shopping area is a 5 min. walk and a trip across the river was just minutes away as-well.

I checked out The REN and it seemed more traditional. The location is also very good but I prefer The Marriott's as it was closer to public transport (train station) I took the ICE Train to and from Koln Airport the cost was EUR 2.30 each way and was only 14 minutes!

I would return to The Colonge Marriott without hesitation
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
This is a very nice hotel. I stayed here early in August while bumming around Europe for a few weeks. As I wrote in my trip report on London, Brussels, Cologne and Amsterdam, The hotel is located about 5 minutes walk from the Cologne train station. On the other side of the station is the main tourist area with the Cathedral and the old town area. The Rhine river, and a nice footpath is only a couple blocks away.

Check in was a breeze (typical Germany efficiency, I suppose).

The room was very nice. It’s large and very comfortable, with an excellent bathroom and very spacious glass walled shower.

Concierge Lounge was excellent. On the top floor, which two patios – one facing the Rhine River (morning sun) and one facing the town (evening sun). Breakfast was an excellent choice of cold dishes. Evening snacks were superb, with a nice mix of fish, meats and sausages, and a good selection of beer. Two computers are available for use, and lounge staff was very nice.

The area right around the hotel is very quiet for restaurants and bars, but there is a lot available in the old town part.

I’m actually quite surprised that this was the lowest reward category of the three hotels I stayed at. It was the nicest, I felt, and had the best selection in the lounge.

The link above has reports on the other hotels, as well as links to a couple of pictures of the hotel room.

Greg
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
This is a very nice hotel. I stayed here early in August while bumming around Europe for a few weeks. As I wrote in my trip report on London, Brussels, Cologne and Amsterdam, The hotel is located about 5 minutes walk from the Cologne train station. On the other side of the station is the main tourist area with the Cathedral and the old town area. The Rhine river, and a nice footpath is only a couple blocks away.

Check in was a breeze (typical Germany efficiency, I suppose).

The room was very nice. It’s large and very comfortable, with an excellent bathroom and very spacious glass walled shower.

Concierge Lounge was excellent. On the top floor, which two patios – one facing the Rhine River (morning sun) and one facing the town (evening sun). Breakfast was an excellent choice of cold dishes. Evening snacks were superb, with a nice mix of fish, meats and sausages, and a good selection of beer. Two computers are available for use, and lounge staff was very nice.

The area right around the hotel is very quiet for restaurants and bars, but there is a lot available in the old town part.

I’m actually quite surprised that this was the lowest reward category of the three hotels I stayed at. It was the nicest, I felt, and had the best selection in the lounge.

The link above has reports on the other hotels, as well as links to a couple of pictures of the hotel room.

Greg
Totally agree with your evaluation of this hotel. I had a great experience here as well (except for the false fire alarm at 2 AM). They treat plats really well. The well stocked lounge is among the top 5 of those I've stayed.
Re: the reward cat - I think MR may jack it up next year (although I hope they won't), after reading all these good appraisals posted in MR sub-forum.
Thanks for your link. Interesting.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

Is the Executive Lounge open on Sunday nights?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Lounge

I stayed for three nights at the end of November over Thanksgiving, the lounge was open all night but after 10pm all drinks were locked and staff were gone. Just coffee and tea, you do have access to the computer stations, and two flat screens. There were some cookies and candy too.
The hotel was nice, but there was an issue in my room where we could not close the drapes fully, they had been ripped out of the tracks and this was not corrected.
And as my rant, we had one of those euro narrow glass shower doors that allow the whole bathroom to get wet.
Everything else was beautiful and clean.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.