Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Yes, I know smoking is nasty and stinky...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Gold

Ok, here is the scenerio and the question.

Bob the non-smoker stays at Marriotts 81 nights a year and becomes a platinum member.

Jack, the smoker, stays at Marriotts 81 nights a year and becomes a platinum member.

Bob gets upgraded everytime he sets foot in a Marriott.

Jack has yet to see an upgrade or conceirge level floor.

We all know its a nasty stinkly habbit and there is nothing worse than staying in a smoking room when you dont smoke. Even the whole floor stinks. Ok I get that, What I dont understand is why Jacks Platinum is not given the same treatment Bobs is? What if Jack was a Platinum Premier? And Bob a lowly Platinum?

Ok, I'm cool with the floor thing, and it is likely Jack will have access to the lounge, still get his arrival gift, but in many hotels, the Concierge level has upgraded ammenities and the Wall Street Journal delivered to your room. There is no such thing as an upgraded smoking room.

Coments on the subject welcome but lets not beat the nasty habit part to death, we already know that and most smokers agree. No in fairness, if the hotel has balconies with sliding doors, then Jack would be stupid not to take the upgrade and just step out, close the door to get his fix.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I have seen numerous properties where at least a few c-level rooms are smoking.

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 12, 2006 at 8:08 am Reason: no need to quote immediately preceding post
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I always request non-smoking. If I get lucky there is access to a balcony. If not - well I smoke a lot less
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:06 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
I know that smoking in a non-smoking room is a no-no, and there's a likelyhood you'll get walked out or room swapped if discovered, but are there any regulations about smoking on a non-smoking balcony?

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 12, 2006 at 8:09 am Reason: no need to quote immediately preceding post
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Smoking rooms on the Concierge floor really depend on the hotel, I would think. If the hotel is big and doesn't sell out every week then they probably do have a room or two or more for the smokers, if they sell out or it's a small hotel the rooms would probably be already occupied by status'ed non-smokers (which may suck for you) or be held for status'ed non-smoker or held for revenue customers since they are probably more expensive and have a very good chance of selling out. Like around the DC area where my hotel sells out almost every week.

As for smoking on a balcony....I don't believe there are any rules against it however, if the smoking balcony is surrounded by non-smokers and everyone is sitting on the balcony they may not appreciate you smoking since the smell does carry. I don't know if the room above us was smoking but the people did smoke on the balcony and that was an unpleasant experience when I was on vacation in Hawaii.

Basically it comes down to what Jack thinks is more important to him...Smoking or getting upgrades. If upgrades are more important than he should change his preferences to non-smoking and do as almost every New Yorker does nowadays; go outside the hotel to smoke.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dannyr
are there any regulations about smoking on a non-smoking balcony?
Like? Municipal fire regulations? Hotel policies? I doubt it. And how would any hotel actually enforce it?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday

Nothing out of Jack's control is preventing him form enjoying the perks he's earned. Snuff out the butt.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Exactly. While Marriott is making a concerted effort to provide a safe and healthy environment, Jack has said "No thanks, put me somewhere I can smoke". He could be upgraded, however to ensure that the suites are all smeling nice the hotel have elected to make them all smoke free.

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 12, 2006 at 8:10 am Reason: no need to quote immediately preceding post
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:48 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Most properties have smoking "floors" were all their smoking rooms are located. Example: At the Memphis Marriott East, floors seven and nine are smoking. Floors 11, 12 and 14 are C-Level. Guess what your chances are of getting an upgrade if you request a smoking room, ZERO!
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Gold
Again, as I mentioned. The floor is a non issue, I am fully with the keeping the smokers rooms to specific floors, even if you arent in a smoking room but on the same floor it's agravating to say the least. Balconies are fair game for the occasional smoke. It's up to your own level of decency not to sit out there and smoke up a storm when others are out on their balconies. Ambient odors such as some perfumes are just as bad as the hint of smoke.

What I was getting at was the other stuff.... Upgraded Amenaties, WSJ, Turn Down, Bedding (when there is a difference).
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
I don't follow your question then....

WSJ is selectable in your online preferences, also, it's usually delivered on the C-floor I believe. Turn down service happens per hotel, I seriously doubt smokers will not get turn down service vs non-smokers. It's usually a function of the hotel. I got turndown service at Marriott Suites but not in a Courtyard. Bedding is consistent throughout the hotel (bed types are again part of your preferences). Upgraded amenities are on the C-floor so this is the only thing that you may run into a problem with...But again, if Jack requests non-smoking rooms then he'll get upgraded to C-floors.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday
Ok, here is the scenerio and the question.

Bob the non-smoker stays at Marriotts 81 nights a year and becomes a platinum member.

Jack, the smoker, stays at Marriotts 81 nights a year and becomes a platinum member.

Coments on the subject welcome but lets not beat the nasty habit part to death, we already know that and most smokers agree. No in fairness, if the hotel has balconies with sliding doors, then Jack would be stupid not to take the upgrade and just step out, close the door to get his fix.
My guess is that most hotels have a fairly limited number of upgrades available for smokers. If we accept Westin's numbers, only 8 percent of the traveling public request smoking rooms. By designating a room as smoking, its unavailable to 92 percent of the guests. At those numbers, a hotel is probably not going to be inclined to designate too many premium rooms or suites as smoking as it will make them substantially more difficult to sell or present as upgrades.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Delta SM, Southwest CP
Jack could be treated the same, he chooses not to be.

I think in the future, smoking will be banned at all hotels, in which case Jack's going to be in an even tougher spot.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
Accurate assumption...

ondeadlin....your assumption is probably pretty dead on. I've noticed more and more city and state ordinances banning smoking in "public buildings" even including bars in many areas.

"Jack" will soon be restricted to stepping outside for his smoke...if he'd like to increase his odds of a room upgrade now, he could start the "walk for a smoke" habit sooner than required?!

note to potential flames...(I'm not taking a position on said laws, or on the hotel policy, just stating that within those two conditions the easiest solution seems to be...)
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Less problems with Marriott

I have actually had less problems with Marriott than with Hilton in this area. I actually told Hilton that they should post on their website that smokers are not entitled to elite priveleges.

Bottom line is they say you meet the qualifications you get _________ then 8 % of their C floors should be smoking.

I can tell you this, staying in hotels 200 nights a year:
1. Not many have sliding glass doors in the room, many the windows don't even open
2. I work all day in non-smoking environments, I am entitled to my privacy of my own room.
3. I more than qualified for elite status and should be entitled to the same benefits as advertised and well earned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.