Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonnieB:
What is the easiest way to get to the JW? </font>
The easiest way to get to the JW would be to arrange with the hotel for a private car from the airport; that will cost roughly US$60-100.

The most reasonable and almost-as-easy way is to take the excellent Airport Express train to the last stop (Hong Kong island). At the station, you can then take a taxi or a free shuttle bus to the JW. Cost would be about US$16 with the taxi, or US$12 with the shuttle bus.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 2:42 pm
vc

Location: San Leandro, CA. - UA 1K, AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I'll put in a plug for the Renaissance. Although it's harder to reach by subway, the Renaissance offers an amazing view of Victoria Harbor. The airport express shuttle also makes a stop here so it's just as easy to get there versus the JW Marriott.

The main drawback is that the Renaissance is closer to the Wanchai district rather than Central/Admiralty.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:43 am

Spent a month or so back in '02 at the JW above Pacific Place. What a great hotel! You can lounge hop between the JW, Conrad, and Shangri-La which all have superb buffetts and cocktail lounges. They are all joined by Pacific Place and MTR Admiralty station.

After staying months in various hotels in HK that year, I found Pacific Place was the best location for numerours reasons. #1 - for how crowded as Hong Kong is, Pacific Place seems to have more room to breathe than most areas of the city. #2 - no hookers walking through the hotel disguised as someone looking for their friend, like the Excelsior. #3 - Exceptional Restaurants galore #4 - Designer label shoppers heaven.

You must head out to the pool and have margaritas and a salad for a light lunch. Then you are walking distance from great above ground shopping, and of course a plethora of options by taking the elevator straight down into the Pacific Place mall which has Gucci, Prada, etc.. all the high end stores. (of course they do... Hong Kong has Gucci stores like Los Angeles has 7/11's)

Want a quiet place to grab a good Boddington's? Go to Madison's in the mall. Nice little restaurant/bar.

Best french restaurant in the city - Petrus - top of the Shangri-La. Also, try the lounge across the hall - Cyrano - for an hour or two after dinner. Best city views from the 56th floor.

My vote is definitely JW at Pacific Place, as you can probably tell.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:03 am

Throw in my vote for the JW Pacific Place. It's been a couple of years since I was there, but it was conveniently located and the staff was second to none. The rooms were quiet and comfy.

I agree with others who indicated the others are showing signs of age.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 7:32 pm

HKG JW Marriott vs New World Renaissance

This might sound stupid, but put yourself in my shoes -- I'm on a budget!

What's a better value, the JW for $72 per night, or the NW Renaissance for $50 per night? I'll be on vacation so I'd like to have a lot of sights and takeout food nearby to visit on foot -- but convenience and value have equal weighting in my book! (I'm using travel agent educational rates).

Thanks!

Spudd
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:03 pm

JW - hands down. It's more central and on the "correct" side of the harbour - definitely helps should you find yourself partying till the wee-hours in Lan Kwai Fong / Wanchai, and missing the last MTR subway train for the Renaissance, it's a much cheaper cab ride.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:19 pm

The JW is linked to a nice mall with a food court. The price of a meal there is amazingly cheap.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Just back from the JW, minor construction going on in the Lobby, but it's not messy or would cause you any problems in any way. Actually stayed on a PL rate, and got walked to my room by the young check-in lady Service was 100%, nice that it's connected to Pacific Place for shopping, and also to the MTR to get around HK...
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:43 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I too like the JW very much - and the rate is fantastic!

-Mark
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:44 pm

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
I stayed in the New World Renaissance in February. The hotel was great, but there was construction nearby. Great lounge, but a commute to the mainland. If you are taking guided tours, a bus will pick you up at the hotel, so it will not make much of a difference.

The New World Renaissance is also connected to a mall.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by SpuddBrother
the JW for $72 per night
Where did you find that price? That's about $550 HK. I have search the Marriott site and not finding anwhere close to that for the next 3 months.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 2:49 am

Thanks for your feedback. It's a special rate not available to the public.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold, US Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SW same as everyone else!
JW Hands down

Stay at the JW - the extra 20$ is WELL worth it!! The mall it sits atop is the one of the fanciest malls in Hong Kong with many dining options and a CHEAP food court too. A metro stop is here too so it is super convenient and less than 5 minutes to Kowloon (TST stop).

The mall at the NW Renaissance is a little low rent for my tastes and there is substanial road noise and consturction going on outside.

You will go often into Kowloon for trips but it is always nice to come bac to the JW

Hersh
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:40 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Just got back from the JW and it was great -- even got a suite.

I have to agree with everyone else -- mall is great and short walk to the metro.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:31 pm

What is the easiest way to get to the New World

I believe the title says it all. What is the easiest and cheapest way to get to the New World Reinanssance from the Airport? I am arriving a Sunday.

Thanks for the input

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.