Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Dolphinyong-I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking that it would be easy to go back and forth. However, IMHO, since this will be my first time, staying in Hong Kong at one of the centrally located properties will have a certain magic. Since I earned gold this year from a challenge, I should still have gold next year when I go in March or April.

Gold seems to pretty much ensure a harbor view room. And for a stay of several nights, that would be pretty damn cool IMHO. So I will go for it.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:48 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
SC vs CY

May I ask what rates are you getting at the two properties?
I thought the SC is much higher to the CY, since it's a full service Marriott and Cat. 5, while the CY is only 4.

I will have a one night stay in HK, arriving by 10pm, and leaving by 10am. Thinking of taking a Skybus to the HK island to stay at the CY and then bus back to the airport in the am.

Only once arriving at the HK tourism hotel desk I got a HK$725 rate from the SC hotel and I took it right away. Most the time the Airport Hotel runs a rate of more than HK$1400.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:33 pm

I'm using a friends and family code because my friend works for Marriott

The rate I got for sky city was about 200 usd. The rate for the cy was about 290. Iirc the rate for the renaissance harbor was about 320 I don't recall the hong kong dollar figures. So I'm giving approximate usd rates.

Since I am probably going to arrive on a Sunday and depart Saturday in probably getting weekday rates.

I also looked at packages with American airlines but I think using packages nullifies the gold status.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:44 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
The rates sound about right. The reason I book the cy is I can use a C. 1-4 cert I got from the recent Megabonus promotion.
Old May 17, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
6. And of course you will have lounge access in Skycity Marriott which you will not have in CY...
CY has a lounge too! IMO they are pretty much the same - same food. At CY you can also eat breakfast at the restaurant instead of the lounge.

SkyCity has very nice and big room. CY rooms are tiny - 2 adults and a small kid is fine, but more than that you have no space to move around.

The biggest drawback of SkyCity is the location. The free shuttle takes like 20 minutes to Tung Chung (closest civilisation) and we had to queue by the stop 15 minutes before during peak hours in order to secure our seats.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
CY has a lounge too! IMO they are pretty much the same - same food. At CY you can also eat breakfast at the restaurant instead of the lounge.
My fault, I didn't notice that, I thought all courtyards don't have complimentary lounge access. Thanks for correction.
Old May 17, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Friends and Family Rate

Originally Posted by steve4031
The rate I got for sky city was about 200 usd. The rate for the cy was about 290. Iirc the rate for the renaissance harbor was about 320 I don't recall the hong kong dollar figures.
Steve,

Just a heads-up...

If you are wanting to earn points during your trip to China, I believe the Friends and Family rates you quoted are excluded from Marriott Rewards and you will neither earn points during your stay, nor nights credited to your Elite status for 2013.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:04 am

Thx. I was aware of that.

I'm just trying to get the best hotel for the buck.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Last time I've splitted my HKG stay between the Marriott SkyCity and the JW HK Island. As been mentioned before, Lantau Island offers some attractions too, and Tung Chung is great for shopping; also the departure point for the cable way to the Big Buddha. Got seaview club room at SkyCity , but well, it's not HK harbour, so not really makes a big difference.. airport view might probably be more attractive. Club lounge is quite huge and not bad, though the JW's of course better (don't know about the CY).

posted some photos here
http://www.trivago.co.uk/hong-kong-7...cture-i7898245
http://www.trivago.co.uk/hong-kong-7...cture-i7898247
http://www.trivago.co.uk/hong-kong-7...cture-i7898249
http://www.trivago.co.uk/hong-kong-7...cture-i7898251
Old May 18, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA PLATINUM
STAY FOR LESS, DINE FOR FREE
WHEN YOU VISIT ASIA'S WORLD CITY

Explore Hong Kong with us...

From now until July 3, 2012, stay with us in Hong Kong for two consecutive nights and you can enjoy 10% off Stay for Breakfast rate as well as up to HKD588 dining credits at any of the participating hotels (subject to availability):

JW Marriott® Hotel Hong Kong
Renaissance® Harbour View Hotel Hong Kong
Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott® Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott® Hong Kong
Hong Kong is a city of many wonders. You'll find almost anything you want here, from internationally renowned brands in major shopping malls to simple indulgences at local street markets.

promotional code
P53
Old May 18, 2012, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW I stayed at both the MC & CY on a trip a little while back and wouldn't consider staying at the SC even if it was less as the inconvenience factor really IMHO wipes out any savings.

FWIW I quite liked the CY and the harbour view room that I stayed in and wouldn't hesitate to return.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Trying to decide between the JW and Ritz Carlton in HK.

Is the Ritz worth the double points it would require to stay there? Also it would cost $$ to get access to the club as well.

Taking the wife and want the best for her and don't mind paying is it is really worth the difference.

Right now booked at the JW.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by apodo77
Trying to decide between the JW and Ritz Carlton in HK. Is the Ritz worth the double points it would require to stay there?
Yes. No comparison. End of story.

Bruce
Old May 28, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious, since the poster is Marriott Plat, exactly what makes the Ritz with no lounge access worth twice the points of the JW with lounge acess? The view? The rooms? The location?
Old May 28, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The view. It's on top of the tallest building in Hong Kong. And nearly brand new, too.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.