FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/528273-bonus-bucks-questions-issues-merged-threads.html)

happywanderer Mar 13, 2004 3:38 am

Questions about Bonus Bucks usage

I used $200 in bonus bucks for a 4-night stay at a London property recently. Because $200 was a little more than a one night's room rate I have been advised that I would receive only credit for a three-night stay. My protests have fallen upon deaf ears. Anybody else have this experience? I have always assumed that bonus bucks were the same as cash.

dingo Mar 13, 2004 4:29 am

This sound very bogus to me.

bdschobel Mar 13, 2004 6:03 am

What they told you is false. Bonus Bucks are treated just like cash. You receive full Marriott Rewards points when using them. I can speak from very long experience.

Bruce

TxLobo Mar 13, 2004 9:28 am

I use them almost Every week..... what I have found is that you get Night Credit for the whole stay, but only points credit for your net charge after the Bonus Bucks.

Which sounds reasonable to me........

Take it up with Marriott, they will get it fixed.

------------------
Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....

longing4piedmont Mar 13, 2004 9:43 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:
I used $200 in bonus bucks for a 4-night stay at a London property recently. Because $200 was a little more than a one night's room rate I have been advised that I would receive only credit for a three-night stay. My protests have fallen upon deaf ears. Anybody else have this experience? I have always assumed that bonus bucks were the same as cash.</font>
If you are having trouble resolving this, try emailing [email protected]. They (MR) have given inquiries to this address a high priority and you should get a response in less than 24 hours.

Since it is a weekend you may not hear anything until Monday. Just email them the details of the stay and I'm sure it will get resolved to your satisfaction.

Let us know if it works!

bdschobel Mar 13, 2004 2:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TxLobo:
...what I have found is that you get Night Credit for the whole stay, but only points credit for your net charge after the Bonus Bucks.</font>
That's not my experience. I have used Bonus Bucks dozens of times and always received full credit for them.

Bruce

socrates Mar 13, 2004 5:15 pm

Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]

TxLobo Mar 14, 2004 10:01 pm

I went through the last 4 months worth of receipts and only one stay at the Tampa Marriot Airport.. gave me full credit for using the bonus bucks....

Renaissance Washington
Renaissance Vinoy
Washington Metro Center Marriott
Washington Marriott Crystal City

all reduced the amount of my MR $ by the bonus bucks....

------------------
Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....

NJUPINTHEAIR Mar 14, 2004 11:58 pm

I think then that most properties view it as a gift certificate and therefore do not give you credit for the amount spent as presumably you have received the MR points when purchasing the gift cert.

I take a middle road on this issue. I have no problem in their not awarding you $ credit for those gift certs, but you should most definitely get stay credit, as it should be your choice, and not the hotel's as to how you wish to allocate those certs --on a nightly basis rather than in one fell swoop.

Obviously this is an issue with the current bonus promo, and Marriott ought to award you the night that was not credited by the hotel, plain and simple.

Of course, if we had an official Marriott Lurker on this board, he/she could make their feelings known and perhaps even assist you, but such is not the case with the powers that be in the Marriott hierarchy.

Sad, very sad.

pinniped Mar 15, 2004 7:12 am

I have used certs many times at Marriott hotels. They always post like CASH and I get the points.

I could understand the true BONUS bucks (i.e., free money if you do a 2 night stay, etc.) posting without points since those are more like a discount on the room rate.

But if it is a gift certificate that was paid for, it should absolutely post like CASH.

gardener Mar 15, 2004 8:37 am

I have used many of these as well. My experience is that in US and Canada they post as either cash or some other credit to the folio, and you get full Marriott points and night credit.

In Europe they reduced my room rate by the Bonus Bucks amount. In Huntingdon England and Hamburg Germany. And they used a lousy exchange rate. Since they reduced the room rate, I did not get full pints for the stay but OK maybe it is fair that way, after all I got a discounted rate.

In Tokyo they posted as a credit AND they used an exchange rate favorable to me - a $50 cert credited at 6000 Yen or 120 to the dollar. The going rate was only about 108.

boltor Mar 15, 2004 10:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
Since they reduced the room rate, I did not get full pints for the stay but OK maybe it is fair that way, after all I got a discounted rate.</font>
I might put up with not getting my full points, but I certainly wouldn't put up not getting full pints. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

happywanderer Mar 15, 2004 2:22 pm

Just received E-mail from Marriott customer service in London that they will contact corporated headquarters for clarification and promised to respond when they receive answer.

My complaint isn't so much about the points as it is with the room night credit (although I am convinced that I should get points, too). I stayed at this property for four nights, yet I am receiving credit for only three. That's the crux of my argument.

Will keep you posted.

cndij Mar 15, 2004 7:48 pm

I have experienced both full credit (points) and the points being reduced by the bonus bucks. What I have figured out it that it varies depending on how they enter the bonus bucks into the computer and that you are better off to present at checkout as partial payment than to present them up front. Less chance of the credit being entered incorrectly.

happywanderer Mar 23, 2004 3:08 pm

After many E-mails to Marriott customer service in UK, I just got confirmation that bonus bucks, indeed, are to be treated as cash and I will receive room credit as well as points. It looks as though UK simply didn't have experience with this kind of certificate.