Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:47 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. I have a feeling they will be fairly useless.

It's too bad...I thought they were going to be like 'credits' towards breakfasts, wifi and parking, etc. for future stays...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Counsellor
I doubt it was that. I think it was that the selling-on ruined Marriott's calculations on how much to charge for the Bonus Bucks.

If they can't be sold on, there will be a greater number that expire unused. If their calculations of the "breakage" (as it's called) were that 60% would expire used, they could get away with charging the merchants who were distributing the Bonus Bucks as incentives $41 for a $100 bonus buck and (except for some administrative costs) actually turn a profit. However, if the breakage turned out to be only 20% and 80% of those $41 certificates were actually used, there's a loss in the making.

(Actually, the calculations are more complicated than that, since it was reported that Marriott would not pay the property $100 for accepting the $100 certificate -- the property also had to absorb a discount -- but the general idea remains valid: if more certificates are redeemed than they calculated, this could cause a loss.)

I talked once with a merchant whose firm had used the Bonus Bucks as a marketing incentive, and he said that (as he recalled) when they first began using them Marriott sold them at about 25% - 30% of face value, but when they quit the price had more than doubled. Got to be a pretty expensive incentive. If enough merchants felt the same way, the market for Marriott would have dried up. Perhaps that's why we don't see them anymore (except occasionally as a promotion by Marriott properties themselves).
Their breakage assumption is 85 percent. We were cut off from purchasing them when we approached a redemption of around 50 percent. Also, at the time, Marriott sold 100 GBP vouchers for USD29 apiece, about 15 cents on the dollar.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Bonus bucks/extra euros/premium pounds was the #2 reason behind Lifetime status that I jumped ship from Starwood back in 2005. Too bad they went the way of the dinosaur; they really made the Marriott chain a bargain.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Bonus bucks/extra euros/premium pounds was the #2 reason behind Lifetime status that I jumped ship from Starwood back in 2005. Too bad they went the way of the dinosaur; they really made the Marriott chain a bargain.
Occasionally I would check out with a credit n my folio, having to hit the gift shop or restaurant to make it go away. Full MR and bonus points and all benefits offered.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Bonus Bucks Rate code MRP says:

Book Your Weekend Getaway by April 15th

Now through April 30, 2013, stay two consecutive nights Thursday - Sunday at a participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance® & Marriott® hotels and enjoy:
10% off best available room only rates
$100 Bonus Bucks® towards a future stay
Deluxe accommodations

I was able to book MRP rate for ONE WEEKDAY night. When I received confirmation the Summary of Room Charges said:

Member Exclusive $100 Bonus Bucks, 10 percent off Best Available Rates, 100 USD Bonus Bucks per stay, see Rate Rules

Will hotel honor the rate and give me the bonus bucks as reservation does not fit the Rate Rules but the reservation did accept the rate code?

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Bonus Bucks Rate code MRP says:

Book Your Weekend Getaway by April 15th

Now through April 30, 2013, stay two consecutive nights Thursday - Sunday at a participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance® & Marriott® hotels and enjoy:
10% off best available room only rates
$100 Bonus Bucks® towards a future stay
Deluxe accommodations

I was able to book MRP rate for ONE WEEKDAY night. When I received confirmation the Summary of Room Charges said:

Member Exclusive $100 Bonus Bucks, 10 percent off Best Available Rates, 100 USD Bonus Bucks per stay, see Rate Rules

Will hotel honor the rate and give me the bonus bucks as reservation does not fit the Rate Rules but the reservation did accept the rate code?

Thanks
I don't have an answer for your question, but I would like to know where you found that rate offer, and was there a "hotels not participating" list?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by USirritated
I don't have an answer for your question, but I would like to know where you found that rate offer, and was there a "hotels not participating" list?
The promo was emailed to me by Marriott on Feb 13. There is no "hotels not participating" list in the email. I booked my res on Marriott's website.

Again, the promo says bonus bucks are available for 2 night weekEND res. I booked a one night weekDAY res and the confirmation's Summary of Room Charges says: "Member Exclusive $100 Bonus Bucks, 10 percent off Best Available Rates, 100 USD Bonus Bucks per stay, see Rate Rules "

If my booking dates did not abide by the hotel's rules, shouldn't the rate code not have worked?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Originally Posted by USirritated
https://www.marriott.com/specials/me...splayLink=true
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by fmkgb
The promo was emailed to me by Marriott on Feb 13. There is no "hotels not participating" list in the email. I booked my res on Marriott's website.

....snip....
Aha, there was not "hotels not participating" because there was a "hotels participating" list as it is limited to Florida only.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Extend expiration date?

I got a $100 bonus buck when I checked out today. The expiration is June 17, so good for only 4 1/2 months, making it useless for me. I have a Marriott reservation in late September, and was planning to use it then. The desk clerk talked to her manager about the date, but all their bucks had the same date and they had no way to extend it there.

So my question is: Has anyone successfully got the date extended by calling Marriott?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
No, never.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
I got a $100 bonus buck when I checked out today. The expiration is June 17, so good for only 4 1/2 months, making it useless for me. I have a Marriott reservation in late September, and was planning to use it then. The desk clerk talked to her manager about the date, but all their bucks had the same date and they had no way to extend it there.

So my question is: Has anyone successfully got the date extended by calling Marriott?
As slowly said, there are no reported successes that I know of of a recipient calling Marriott to get the date extended. However, there have been cases of hotels that had only short-dated certificates on hand to issue being able to exchange them with Marriott for certificates bearing a longer validity.

So two challenges:

1. You'd have to get the hotel to contact Marriott about exchanging the certificate. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

2. Usually Marriott seems to consider the certificates OK if the remaining validity is six months or more. So, even if they did exchange a certificate with 4-1/2 months' validity, you may still not get one that would be valid for your stay in September. The validity date must extend through your check-in date, not the date you made the reservation.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.