Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
I believe it is supposed to earn points just like paying cash. However, I had a stay over Labor Day weekend that it was not credited that way (I got no points for the amount of the BB), so I would recommend checking your bill closely before you leave - in my experience, most state the number of base points earned.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
This thread really cries out for use of the search function. Various questions about bonus bucks have been discussed endlessly throughout 2005, and this specific question has been addressed at least a few times. See, for example, this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414371

Information on this board is much more accessible for everyone if it is not scattered among numerous separate threads on similar topics.

Bruce
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I have seen the BB's and PP's(premium pounds)going for really high prices latley on Ebay-you have to be firm with your final price.
Alot of them are being offered by folks who have a lot of these and they are running it like a buisness-sometimes not an honest buisness.
If you put in a reasonable offer be prepared to get a "second chance"offer as some of these folks are using shills to up the price.
BBs and the like are credited like cash(or should be)and you get points and stay credit when using them.

I find in and just before the summer that shrills arent needed as people think paying $40 to save $100 is a great deal and bid it up all by themselves. Other times when the bids are low I feel they use the shrills to up the price. Thats when you'll start to get 2nd chances coming your way, where the seller emails you an dtells you that the winner didnt come thru and will give you a chance to buy it at your last price. I guess they were hoping to get you to bit and pay more rather than lose it. Thats why I usually will know the Max Ill pay and put it in to begin with and I dont look back or rebid as long as the auction is active. Yea you'll lose most but in the end you'll get what you need and at the price that you want, as long as you dont expect to pay $2.99 per cert.

The most ive paid is $20 with the S&H which at times can be $5, so I bid my max of $15. Lately Ive been able to pick them up for under $10 with S&H for a close in ex date. I dont resell these I need them, I have a 16 day upcoming in 2 weeks. Almost everyone of those under $10 I got on 2nd Chance deals which was due to the Shrills bidding them up and nobody else bidding on them, since I didnt rebid I got it at my price. Again close to Vacation Time this wouldnt work as the World is full of fools who get carried away with the bidding and feel slighted if they dont win it at any price. And will bid them up to Crazy prices when there were so many more at a fraction of ther price.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by bdschobel
This thread really cries out for use of the search function. Various questions about bonus bucks have been discussed endlessly throughout 2005, and this specific question has been addressed at least a few times. See, for example, this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414371

Information on this board is much more accessible for everyone if it is not scattered among numerous separate threads on similar topics.

Bruce
Hi Bruce,
I did a search and I also saw the thread you mentioned, but it did not give a definitive answer. It also did not talk about whether the MR points were awarded on the full amount. Thanks to the replies(and the posters of those replies) on this thread I now know I should get the MR points on the whole amount. Sorry for cluttering this forum up. If you feel this is redundant, please feel free to lock the thread.

Cheers
expressboy
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:30 pm

Yes, they are supposed to be treated as a credit (similar to a cash payment) and thus earn points, but some properties (or some cashiers) don't understand and want to treat them as a reduction (discount) in the price of the room rather than as payment.

What *should* happen is that when you hand them over at check-in your bill starts with a "credit" in the amount of the Bonus Buck. Sometimes they wait to credit it until you check out, but even then it should show as a "payment"-type credit. If they just reduce the price of the room, you need to get that straightened out before you finish check-out.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:29 pm

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
I've only seen BBs for two-night stays. Are there any for one-nighters?

Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FourWheels

Thanks for any info.
Nope, however there are Marriott Cheques out there which is the same as Cash, and can not only be used for a 1 night stay but can be used even if you arent staying at the Hotel (how so, you eat in a Hotel owned restaurant or get a Massage at a Hotel owned SPA)
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by FourWheels

Thanks for any info.
YES

There are Bonus bucks for 1 night, you get $50.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:48 pm

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
craz and back seat, thanks for the info. I'm on the lookout.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by back seat
YES

There are Bonus bucks for 1 night, you get $50.
That's strange. All the $50 ones I've seen have been for two nights, and were good only in the lower tier properties (Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, etc.).

Where did you get a one-night Bonus Buck?
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:05 am

Thought up an interesting question this morning. So on an award stay, if you are required to pay $40 or $80 or whatever for an upgrade, can you use a bonus buck to pay for those costs? I know it isn't technically a paid night, but you are paying for the room...

Let me know your thoughts or if any of you have tried this.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
I have a similar question. If I stay for a week using a hotel reward can I use bonus bucks to pay for my meals and extras? Is there still a $100 per day limit? How reliable are the bonus bucks you can purchase at Ebay? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expressboy
Hi Folks,
I have a question about bonus bucks. How do they appear on the invoice. I would like to buy a couple of them off ebay but I would like to know if they show up as a discount on the rate or as a method of payment. Does MR award points on the full charge or on the charge after the Bonus Bucks were subtracted. I would appreciate any feedback from someone who used it

Cheers
expressboy
In theory, they should post as a credit; therefore, you earn points on the total bill. The back of the certificate clearly states "credit".

But occasionally they screw up and post 'em as an adjustment, which reduces the number of points you earn. Up to you whether to fight that battle with the front desk.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
I have a similar question. If I stay for a week using a hotel reward can I use bonus bucks to pay for my meals and extras? Is there still a $100 per day limit? How reliable are the bonus bucks you can purchase at Ebay? Thanks for your help.
Hi frisbeeace,

Welcome to FT! It's great to see a newcomer posting.

I've pulled out one of my Premium Pounds coupon. It says "a consecutive 2 night paid stay is required." Thus, I don't think you can use bonus bucks on an award stay.

IF you could, you would use one per two paid nights.

I haven't heard of any problems with eBay bonus bucks.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Thanks for the welcome and your info. I'm thrilled to have found this forum as I'm a big Marriott fan and all you guys seem to be experts. I thought I knew everything but ...wow... there was so much still to learn.

Last edited by bdschobel; Oct 13, 2005 at 6:49 am Reason: no need to repeat previous post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.