Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What do I actually get as Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond

First off, I am not Marriott bashing. I like the properties, stay in Ritz Carltons 8-10 nights a year and am using 180k points for JW Marriott in Paris this summer, BUT... I am finishing night 43 of the year and got a suite upgrade at a Courtyard last month (who knew they had suites) but other than that just as likely to get parking lot view as garden/mountain whatever. I've asked for late(r) check outs twice and was left feeling I was was asking for too much.

Last month I was unable to use a club upgrade certificate from the credit card at a RC so used the Amex FHR benefit. When I checked in I couldn't believe being told I was upgraded to a suite as an FHR benefit. I actually asked if it was because I was RC Platinum....no Amex. So my question is, I like Marriott properties but do I get my 75 nights and then go for SPG or Hilton? Will I have a better shot at upgrades or extended check outs occasionally? Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
You wouldn't be the first person to ask these questions about Marriott here on FT. All fair questions.

I think you RC questions, though, have different answers and I'm sure someone will be along to answer them.

Regarding Hilton...YMMV. I have been Diamond in the past and have seen absolutely no love from them.

People seem to really love SPG (but I have no personal experience with them).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:28 pm

I am enjoying SPG better. Just sick of many years of being plat and getting basically nothing. Plus, as you say, they make you feel you are asking them to move the moon just for a couple hour late check out. So far with SPG that's been automatically granted simply by my request at check in. NO questions asked! They just mention it at check in. Marriott better shape up or I will be switching all my stays next year.

Also going to try some Hyatts. Was big on Hyatt 10+ years ago and going to circle back to give them a try again. Have 3 Hyatt stays planned this year.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by nccarguy
First off, I am not Marriott bashing. I like the properties, stay in Ritz Carltons 8-10 nights a year and am using 180k points for JW Marriott in Paris this summer, BUT... I am finishing night 43 of the year and got a suite upgrade at a Courtyard last month (who knew they had suites) but other than that just as likely to get parking lot view as garden/mountain whatever. I've asked for late(r) check outs twice and was left feeling I was was asking for too much.

Last month I was unable to use a club upgrade certificate from the credit card at a RC so used the Amex FHR benefit. When I checked in I couldn't believe being told I was upgraded to a suite as an FHR benefit. I actually asked if it was because I was RC Platinum....no Amex. So my question is, I like Marriott properties but do I get my 75 nights and then go for SPG or Hilton? Will I have a better shot at upgrades or extended check outs occasionally? Thanks.
What type of rate did you book for your ritz stay? And how did you go about requesting the club level upgrade?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsucool76
What type of rate did you book for your ritz stay? And how did you go about requesting the club level upgrade?
The rules state any published (non discounted) rate is eligible to use a Chase RC credit card certificate (you get 3 every year at renewal). Unless you are using corporate rate or AAA rate you can upgrade. The certificates post to your account and they deduct at check in. 1 certificate is good for up to 7 nights. You might save $50-100 per night or up to $200-350 in others such as NYC or New Orleans. Good credit card benefit, certainly not a gold or platinum benefit.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I am enjoying SPG better. Just sick of many years of being plat and getting basically nothing. Plus, as you say, they make you feel you are asking them to move the moon just for a couple hour late check out. So far with SPG that's been automatically granted simply by my request at check in. NO questions asked! They just mention it at check in. Marriott better shape up or I will be switching all my stays next year.

Also going to try some Hyatts. Was big on Hyatt 10+ years ago and going to circle back to give them a try again. Have 3 Hyatt stays planned this year.
I've never asked for more than an hour or two later check out. The last time front desk literally sighed out loud, rolled her eyes before asking my name or room number. Had no idea I was Plat. When she saw she begrudgingly offered 1 pm. She laid such a guilt trip on me I declined and finished reports on my laptop in the lobby. Funny thing, if you book through FHR Amex program it's guaranteed.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SPG 4 PM checkout for Gold and Platinum is great. I have never been able to get anything after 2 PM with IHG or Marriott (as Platinum on both). SPG Lifetime Platinum is pretty hard to make so I am working toward lifetime Gold.

I agree that Marriott should make Platinum benefits better. The UA thing is great for those who don't have status on UA but worthless to me as a UA Lifetime Gold.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I've never asked for more than an hour or two later check out. The last time front desk literally sighed out loud, rolled her eyes before asking my name or room number. Had no idea I was Plat. When she saw she begrudgingly offered 1 pm...
That is my experience 4 out of 5 times. As I said in the recent late checkout thread, status really doesn't matter or is a factor in the request...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:46 am
Suspended

Not to hijack the thread, but now that Ritzs are subject to the BRG, are the final adjusted BRG rates considered discounted rates and therefore unable to use the Ritz credit card upgrade certs, or can one use those upgrade certs?

If someone never thought of doing this, good luck to you and let us know what happened!!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
I've actually had really good luck with check outs. It sucks that you can't be guaranteed it as a benefit, but I often have no problem getting 4 or 5PM. A few times I even got close to 10 PM. This was great as I was able to take a quick shower before catching a late flight.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by timetosave
I often have no problem getting 4 or 5PM. A few times I even got close to 10 PM.
My PR is 6:00 pm and I thought I was doing well. I need to step up my game.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:55 am

I've never asked for more than an hour or two later check out. The last time front desk literally sighed out loud, rolled her eyes before asking my name or room number. Had no idea I was Plat. When she saw she begrudgingly offered 1 pm. She laid such a guilt trip on me I declined and finished reports on my laptop in the lobby. Funny thing, if you book through FHR Amex program it's guaranteed.
Don't ever feel guilty about asking for benefits to which you are entitled. They are employees; you are the guest.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
Don't ever feel guilty about asking for benefits to which you are entitled. They are employees; you are the guest.
Maybe the hotel should remind their employees of this on occasion!?

I should add, I own a service business and we always talk about this kind of thing with staff. Smile at customers, make sure they have what they need, and do everything possible to take care of them... hopefully without them having to ask! SIMPLE concepts.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Maybe the hotel should remind their employees of this on occasion!?

I should add, I own a service business and we always talk about this kind of thing with staff. Smile at customers, make sure they have what they need, and do everything possible to take care of them... hopefully without them having to ask! SIMPLE concepts.
It is surprisingly simple, but in this game, unfortunately, I find that what the Corporation promises (MI), the Franchisee has to (sometimes reluctantly) deliver and bear the cost of.

Some have figured out how to play the game and exploit the exceptions and outs MI has built in, hence the huge differences between properties.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I have had pretty good luck as Platinum getting upgraded in Asia, usually to at least a junior suite if not a suite, which I was not getting as Gold.. And they have been long stays, 4 or 5 nights or more on occasion. So, if you are travelling to Asia, Marriott Platinum is still worth something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.