Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott doesn't match status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold; United Premier; Avis Preferred; Continental Silver, Marriott Silver
Marriott doesn't match status

Does anyone know why Marriott doesn't match status but SPG and Hilton do? It's very frustrating for someone who travels weekly - Marriott's policy is a true deterrent for me to ever stay with them.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I feel your pain but honestly, i find this non-matching a breath of fresh air if its true.. it will keep it from being diluted like HH and SPG

Originally Posted by darawax
Does anyone know why Marriott doesn't match status but SPG and Hilton do? It's very frustrating for someone who travels weekly - Marriott's policy is a true deterrent for me to ever stay with them.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Reports vary as to this. FTer BigLar usually responds to threads like this pointing out he received a match. Other folks report no match, or an invitation to a challenge. It may depend on our travel patterns. More likely it's a matter of which customer service rep you deal with.

Last edited by ohmark; Jul 12, 2005 at 9:35 am
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott probably doesn't match because Marriott's requirements are higher than other chains. Also, Hilton & SPG give away Gold like candy. I've been an SPG & HH Gold for the past 2.5 years (ever since I joined FT! ) & have logged maybe 4 paid roomnights at SPG & 6 at Hilton (however 4 of them were for a promo, where my net costs were only about 29 bucks per roomnight) - Yet both Hilton & SPG feel that I'm a good enough customer to keep as a Gold. Now imagine if Marriott did that too - this is their current requirements for status:

Silver Level: stay 10-49 nights or hold 2-4 events per year at Marriott hotels
Gold Level: stay 50-74 nights or hold 5-6 events per year at Marriott hotels
Platinum Level: stay 75+ nights or hold 7+ events per year at Marriott hotels

So, even if you were a SPG/Hilton Gold/Plat, you'd only probably get at most Gold or Silver with Marriott & not even comped to your regular level. I personally don't see that as a bad thing either.

[quote=darawax]It's very frustrating for someone who travels weekly - Marriott's policy is a true deterrent for me to ever stay with them.[/url]

They are rewarding loyalty - if you stay with them, you'll achieve the status - if you really want to stay with Marriott, then stay with them & earn the status - or if you go to the same place every week, talk to the GM of the hotel & see if there isn't something they can do if you promise them your business.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:25 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Originally Posted by darawax
I received a "match" from HHonors Diamond to Marriott Gold a couple of months ago. At the time I already had over 50 stays and over 80 nights in Hiltons. So far I have not been impressed with Gold from Marriott. When I have traveled with business associates they have received the same or better accommodations than I even though they were either nothing or Silver. I miss the bottles of water in my room with Hilton as well as free breakfast coupons. Although I have over 20 nights in Marriott since making Gold I will probably go back to Hilton 100% to get double points this summer plus free wedges from Embassy Suites (see Hilton forum). I tried Marriott because of the better selection of award properties but the overall experience is lacking.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:21 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Blanket statements like "Marriott doesn't match but SPG and Hilton do" can be a little misleading. There are circumstances in every situation that may dictate that a status match may or may not be granted.

I was granted a match last year from HH -- after I showed them my statement from HH with 75 butt in bed nights from the previous year. I also was comped status to SPG at the same time...figuring that I would be able to compare all three major programs for myself -- at the properties that I would frequent. Last year, I earned plat status back with SPG and gold with MR and had almost no stays with HH (still managed to stay silver somehow?). At the beginning of this year, I was offered the opportunity to either earn or purchase my platinum status back from MR on a challenge basis. I easily did this challenge, and only missed a few stays of being Platinum.

I like the SPG program the best, but their lack of hotels and competetive pricing/bonuses will likely have me earning my MR Plat status this yr -- I am well on my way. All in all, I would have to say that the status match worked out for all parties involved -- me, Starwood (who got about 150 nights out of me that they likely would not have), and eventually MR (who will likely have my business going forward).

Stevekoe
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I received a Marriott match when I switched from Hilton. They gave me Gold and I then earned Platinum. I had to call Salt Lake HQ in order to get them to do it though.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up Just an update on status "matching"

FWIW, after reading lots of posts about the Gold/Platinum Challenges and Status matches...I decided to send an e-mail to [email protected]. My question was simple. I'm a former Platinum (5 yrs ago) and have not travelled much until a new job this year. I have 25 nights this year (in 2 months) and many more scheduled...and I'm a little tired of Silver status (want access to the lounges mostly)....so I asked for a challenge. Was hoping for the 18 nights/90 days for Platinum since I have at least that much booked...but instead, I got instantly comped to Gold. Funny thing was the e-mail response (which came in less than 15 minutes!) outlined my stay total for the past 3 years (as if to rub it in ). Anyway...here are the snippets from their e-mail:

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards regarding your Elite status.

We are currently keeping track of Elite nights on a calendar year basis. This means that your night total went back to zero on January 1st.

Your account had 10 Elite nights in 2003, 3 Elite nights in 2004, and 25 Elite
nights so far in 2005. All Marriott Rewards members need to reach either 10 nights for the Silver level, 50 nights for the Gold level, or 75 nights for the Platinum level.

...cut info that explained how elite status is attained...

Because of your increased loyalty to Marriott, I am happy to offer an exception for this one time only, and upgrade your Marriott Rewards account to Gold Elite status.
You will be able to view the changes online in 24-48 hours when our system updates with the new information. A Gold membership card has been requested, please allow 4-6 weeks for processing and delivery.

Please do keep in mind, this is a one time exception and you will need to stay the qualifying number of nights during 2005 to retain this status for the following year. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

We are always happy to assist you with your Marriott Rewards account.

So I can't complain....such a fast response and at least I'm Gold now a little sooner than would have been otherwise! ^

-Mike

UPDATE: Just checked my account and it appears I'm Gold already! Very nice.

Last edited by mbflyflyaway; Aug 8, 2005 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Does Marriott give at all on Silver status? I don't travel for business, and I'll probably end up at 8-9 nights but just short of 10 in a calendar year. No,w I know I could just check into a cheap Marriott property for a night or two to get the status, but I don't know that its really that important to me. It IS important enough to type out this message though...anyone know if they will cut me off on January 1, or will I have a little lee-way?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MFLetou
Does Marriott give at all on Silver status? I don't travel for business, and I'll probably end up at 8-9 nights but just short of 10 in a calendar year. No,w I know I could just check into a cheap Marriott property for a night or two to get the status, but I don't know that its really that important to me. It IS important enough to type out this message though...anyone know if they will cut me off on January 1, or will I have a little lee-way?
The best way I know is to get the MR Visa Credit Card. You'll get automatic Silver status, plus I think 15,000 bonus points (depending on the promo you find) and maybe other amenities. Plus, they waive the fee the first year, so it doesn't cost you anything. Here's the current link.

Good luck!

-Mike
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MFLetou
Get a Marriott credit card (with 15,000 free points, and perhaps added bonuses) and you are automatically Silver, regardless of nights.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
FWIW, after reading lots of posts about the Gold/Platinum Challenges and Status matches...I decided to send an e-mail to [email protected]. UPDATE: Just checked my account and it appears I'm Gold already! Very nice.
I have just sent an e-mail, trying for temporary gold status (I will make it on nights this year, but it would be great to get it for the rest of the year). I will see what happens, but thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Global Services , Marriott Platinum
After logging only a few nights a year the last few years, I have increased travel significantly this year and will make Platinum. After about 25 nights in 3 months, I emailed Marriott asking for a challenge. I was given instant Gold status with a challenge to stay 12 nights in the next three months to "keep" the Gold status. Otherwise my account will revert to Silver. I was very happy with how it was handled and have been enjoying the lounge access.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
FWIW, after reading lots of posts about the Gold/Platinum Challenges and Status matches...I decided to send an e-mail to [email protected]. UPDATE: Just checked my account and it appears I'm Gold already! Very nice.
My own update. I received also an instant response. Terrific responsiveness.

"Elite levels in the Marriott Rewards program are earned by loyal Marriott Rewards members who have already proven their loyalty by staying the required amount of nights at Marriott properties per calendar year.

It appears like you are very familiar with our program and the requirements we are looking for, and in viewing your past and future stays, you have shown your loyalty to choose Marriott brand, so as a one time exception, I would be happy to offer you Gold Elite status for the remaining months of 2005. Your reservations will be updated shortly to reflect the Gold status. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your Gold card
."

Thank you again for this tip. As I will qualify for Gold on nights this year for 2006, this upgrade for the remainder of 2005 is very welcome.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hawaiisloth
Get a Marriott credit card (with 15,000 free points, and perhaps added bonuses) and you are automatically Silver, regardless of nights.
Yes, well as it happens, that is how I got to be silver in the first place. Problem is I really didn't start staying at Marriotts until recently (traveled to places where it wasn't an option). But in my limited Marriott experiences, even my lowly silver status has gotten me upgraded every time. I realized halfway through the year that I rather liked the status.

My understanding, though, is that the Silver status with the card is not permanent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.