Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by rostovru
Just checked in to the Detroit Marriott.
Which Marriott? [Moderator's note: After this question was answered, I merged the thread into a larger one on the same hotel.] There are several that use "Detroit Marriott" in their name, but none that just goes by "Detroit Marriott." There is a huge difference in quality from property to property.

The Detroit Marriott Troy is a very nice property. The Detroit Marriott at Renaissance Center is one of my favorites, and has great views, but some people aren't as enthusiastic. It's in the iconic GM building complex and is the second tallest hotel in the US. The Detroit Marriott at Southfield is usually clean, but that's about the best I can come up with. The Detroit Marriott at Lavonia is downtrodden, and attached to a not-so-spectacular mall. Finally, the Detroit Metro Airport Marriott doesn't specifically use "Detroit Marriott" in its name but is still a possibility. It's not that great, either, IMO.

My guess/hope is that you are in the Southfield or Lavonia property. It would be a disappointment if you are experiencing this at the Troy property.

It would help if you specify which "Detroit Marriott" is the one in your post.

And yes, this is the norm for US Marriotts.

Last edited by bdschobel; Apr 25, 2015 at 5:29 am Reason: added note
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still stuck on earbuds. Am I misunderstanding? I have never had earbuds in a hotel room of any level anywhere.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I'm still stuck on earbuds. Am I misunderstanding? I have never had earbuds in a hotel room of any level anywhere.
I've seen them once in a while in airport properties, where the noise-isolation is - putting it mildly - not sufficient (try the Residence Inn Miami/Doral). This would lead me to the guess that the OP is at the Airport Marriott...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by leeky
frankly I get the impression that you're trying to impose current asian standards on a Detroit property.
it's NOT gonna happen
Not really.

This week alone I've stayed at the Andaz Wall Street in NY, the Westin Cadillac in Detroit and the W in Austin.

They all manage to perform at a high standard, and obviously none are located in Asia.

The Andaz was $10 more, the W $25 and the Westin $40 less. The Marriott was the highest price in this market. All put this place to shame.

I do indeed live in Asia. When I stay in Marriott properties, it's usually a Renaissance or JW.

To Vicky: Ear buds are the things you clean your ears with. Maybe you call them Q-Tips. Glad you had such fun contemplating this mystery for a few hours..

This was the Marriott at the Renaissance Center. Btw, the views are indeed fantastic.

Last edited by rostovru; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:17 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You cannot compare prices in different cities at different times... that is not a fair comparison.

Most would consider ear buds as something for music/sound.... not as Q-tips.

What did the property say when you asked for an "upgrade"?

How did they handle your other issues?

You cannot assume that one property will have the supplies/amenities that other properties do have. Have you seen shower caps/q-tips in this property before?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:29 am

Very true.

Which is why the comparison to the Westin Cadillac - also in the same city - is telling.

When I asked about the upgrade, they said they have one room type only.

Come on. A 4-star hotel providing just a bottle of shampoo and shower gel in the room? Not even hand soap and conditioner? Really?

The shower even had grout all over the tiles, and the hair dryer was cold only.

This is not 4-star. Maybe not even 3.

Last edited by rostovru; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The Detroit Marriott at Renaissance Center is one of my favorites, and has great views, but some people aren't as enthusiastic. It's in the iconic GM building complex and is the second tallest hotel in the US.
I love that place! I have never had a bad experience there! I can see Canada from my window!! If there is an issue, it is that we cannot get our rate if there is a big convention in town.

The Concierge Lounge is excellent!!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I'm guessing the OP is probably referring to Q-Tips. Those are sometimes provided at US five star hotels; almost never at 4-star and below.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'm guessing the OP is probably referring to Q-Tips. Those are sometimes provided at US five star hotels; almost never at 4-star and below.
I have seen these most often at JW Marriott's... and sometimes only in rooms on the concierge level or corner rooms.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
I I can see Canada from my window!! ...
Is that like seeing Russia, poor Ms. Palin....
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
Is that like seeing Russia, poor Ms. Palin....
The views of Windsor are very real and very awesome, unlike the imaginary views of Russia from Palin's house.

I like the CL at the FS RenCen, too. It's one of the best in the US, but it still isn't close to the CLs in Asia. Although I've never seen a Sundae Bar in an Asian CL.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:44 pm

You clearly have neither a service mind nor an understanding of what constitutes a 4-star hotel.

The excuses you make would be suitable for a Best Western - not a full service Marriott.

Absolutely ridiculous.
No, I come from the experience of staying numerous nights, as many of us do, in Marriott hotels. I come to the reality of what is to be expected verses what is not to be expected. A Marriott in Detroit is going to be much different than a Marriott say in Europe or Asia, and heck, even NYC.

If you wanted luxury, opt for a different hotel (like you did in other locations apparently). If you are having to stay at a Marriott property again in Detroit, highly recommend The Henry on their Autograph Collection, may better suit what you are seeking.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The views of Windsor are very real and very awesome, unlike the imaginary views of Russia from Palin's house.

I like the CL at the FS RenCen, too. It's one of the best in the US, but it still isn't close to the CLs in Asia. Although I've never seen a Sundae Bar in an Asian CL.
No one said anything about a sundae bar.

At any rate, what I'm learning is to expect Marriott to equal Best Western in the US. You guys all seem to be bizarrely accepting of poor quality at the highest price, and that clearly answers by question regarding is this the new norm.

I'm surprised that in the wealthiest country in the world, standards could be so low.

Except the other brands seem to be doing fine at the same price points.... So this is just Marriott.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

At any rate, what I'm learning is to expect Marriott to equal Best Western in the US. You guys all seem to be bizarrely accepting of poor quality at the highest price, and that clearly answers by question regarding is this the new norm.

I'm surprised that in the wealthiest country in the world, standards could be so low.

Except the other brands seem to be doing fine at the same price points.... So this is just Marriott.
Other than the bolded vague generality, the above quote is fact-free.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:36 am

You clearly have neither a service mind nor an understanding of what constitutes a 4-star hotel.
I think the problem lies in your expectations. Who told you the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is a 4-star hotel?

This week alone I've stayed at the Andaz Wall Street in NY, the Westin Cadillac in Detroit and the W in Austin.
I'm a fan of AAA (American Automobile Association) ratings. They use a detailed list of requirements to rate hotels during anonymous visits. The ratings run from 1 to 5 Diamonds. Of the 28,000 hotels rated, only 0.4% earn the 5 Diamond Rating. And, only 5.4% of hotels earn a 4 Diamond rating.

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center: 3 Diamond Rating
Westin Book Cadillac Detroit: 4 Diamond Rating
Andaz Wall Street: 4 Diamond Rating
W Austin: 4 Diamond Rating

Forget about room rates...they aren't relevant to hotel ratings. Seems to me that you have the wrong expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.