Marriott Cancellation Policy

Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Marriott Cancellation Policy

Can someone please clarify Marriott's cancellation policy for me?

I've been looking at reserving Marriott hotels in Canada on Marriott.com and keeps seeing this in the rate rules.

Rate Rules
Guarantee Policy
A CREDIT CARD NUMBER IS REQUIRED TO CONFIRM OR GUARANTEE YOUR RESERVATION
Cancellation Policy
CANCELLATION PERMITTED
- BEFORE 1800 DAY OF ARRIVAL
184.90 CAD CXL FEE
Tax Information
CURRENCY RATES QUOTED IN CAD - CA DOLLAR AND EXCLUDE TAXES
TAX 15.030 PCT PLUS 2.00/ROOM PER NIGHT

Does it actually mean I'll have to pay the first night $184.90 if I cancel? This seems inflexible since most other hotel chains allow cancellation for free until till 1800 day of arrival.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Can someone please clarify Marriott's cancellation policy for me?

I've been looking at reserving Marriott hotels in Canada on Marriott.com and keeps seeing this in the rate rules.

Rate Rules
Guarantee Policy
A CREDIT CARD NUMBER IS REQUIRED TO CONFIRM OR GUARANTEE YOUR RESERVATION
Cancellation Policy
CANCELLATION PERMITTED
- BEFORE 1800 DAY OF ARRIVAL
184.90 CAD CXL FEE
Tax Information
CURRENCY RATES QUOTED IN CAD - CA DOLLAR AND EXCLUDE TAXES
TAX 15.030 PCT PLUS 2.00/ROOM PER NIGHT

Does it actually mean I'll have to pay the first night $184.90 if I cancel? This seems inflexible since most other hotel chains allow cancellation for free until till 1800 day of arrival.
No, you don't pay the fee unless you fail to cancel before 1800. The wording is a bit unclear, but they're basically telling you...IF you fail to cancel by 1800, THEN this is the fee.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:30 am

Programs: Delta MM
Just in case you don't speak unpuncuated military time, 1800 means 6:00 PM.

So, as long as you cancel before 6PM on the day of arrival, there is no penalty. If you do not call at all or if you call after 6PM, then they will charge you for the first night.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:08 am

Exactly what the two previous posts said, but pay attention, because different hotels have different policies. I have seen a hotel that had 1600 instead of 1800 on the same day for the cancelation deadline, as well as up to 3 days before schedule check-in.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Not only do some hotels have different cancellation policies, but I have noticed that different rates do too. If a hotel offers a special rate for some reason, it may require an earlier cancellation. Be sure to read the rate rules carefully!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Try this one from the Vail Marriott Resort and Spa on for style:

CANCELLATION PERMITTED
- UP TO 7 DAYS AFTER BOOKING
CANCELLATION FEE
2 NIGHTS RM & TAX
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Most Residence Inns have 4 pm (1600) cancellation policies. The Marriott on Canal Street in New Orleans has a 3 day cancellation policy. The Orlando World Center Marriott has a 2 day cancellation policy. Resorts tend to require more notice than this. It basically depends on the location and probably somewhat on the size of the property. Business needs dictate that these hotels have to be full or near capacity. The World Center Marriott, with 2000 guest rooms, may need that 48 hours to resell it's cancellations for a given night.

And by all means, watch out for those "advance purchase" non-refunable rates, especially when booking online. Make sure you know what you're selecting when booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.