Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I believe that the train from Germany will arrive at Centraal Station and it is an easy walk from there to the Renaissance -- Lounge access may have changed with the new rules just promulgated but its ultimately up to the hotel.
Did I miss something regarding lounge access--are you referring to MR program or the Renaissance Amsterdam?
Old May 3, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Did I miss something regarding lounge access--are you referring to MR program or the Renaissance Amsterdam?
I guess you did with respect to the Marriott Rewards program in general: http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/04/30/m...ervice-update/
Old May 3, 2015, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I guess you did with respect to the Marriott Rewards program in general: http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/04/30/m...ervice-update/
As with all things Marriott, it will fall upon the individual hotels to decide whether to follow to the letter Marriott T&Cs. My guess is that those who are customer service friendly will allow more; others will stick to the T&C. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

We won't know what the AMS Marriott or Ren (ie, the topics of this thread) will do until we get reports back.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS Marriott keyed two cards per room for two rooms booked under Plat for the lounge in early April.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
AMS Marriott keyed two cards per room for two rooms booked under Plat for the lounge in early April.
Vicki - I did not realize your trip had already happened. Did you/kids/husband like the hotel?
Old May 3, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Vicki - I did not realize your trip had already happened. Did you/kids/husband like the hotel?
Yes, we were there the week after Easter. I posted a review in the hotel specific thread. We did like the hotel, lounge and location, but were a little disappointed in the elite recognition (no plat gift offered, no upgrade) at check-in. We had such a great time in the city though and spent very little time in our rooms!
Old May 19, 2015, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Not really in the city center (I think a lot of hotels are starting to get built near the Arena area), but if public transit is close by it's certainly going to be easier to get into the city than it is from the CY near the airport. Property is a Cat 5, so Cat 1-5 certs can be used at it. Opening promo is a very good deal.

Cheers.
Anyone stay here yet?

Looking at a stay next month.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:06 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I believe that the train from Germany will arrive at Centraal Station and it is an easy walk from there to the Renaissance -- you will then either drop your bags in the room or with a bell hop and you are off.

You are in the thick of the action during the day and night and come the next morning, it is again that short walk to Centraal Station to catch the express train to Schiphol.
Another opinion, is that the #197 (express) bus to/from Schiphol is easier (to Leidseplein for the Marriott) than the train.

While I never take the #197 from Leidseplein (I take it further along, in Oud Zuid); I do believe it is approximately a block from the Marriott.

Remember, when you take the train, you need to navigate lots of stairs with lots of people and lots of bags (per this scenario above of a family of 7). With the bus, you just hop off and walk a block +/- to the Marriott (no stairs up/down etc.). It's really a great express bus (#197), and there would never be a reason to go from the Marriott to Centraal to Schiphol. It's a common misconception that the best way to/from Schiphol is the train. I mean, it's a fine way to/from the airport but not always the best way. I also feel, it's easier to keep a group together/organized on the bus to/from the airport.

Regarding location, that's subjective; but I believe overall the Marriott is a better location unless you have a huge desire to be closer to Red Light, more "coffee shops," more lousy (tourist oriented) restaurants and a much noisier and crowded area. Don't get me wrong, we often do quick one nights at the Renaissance (because it is sooooo cheap with our corporate rate); just taking a step back, as tourists and a family I would prefer the location of the Marriott.

Also, remember, it's a super small city. Leidseplein to Centrum is a short walk/tram/bike ride.

Last edited by baccarat_king; May 20, 2015 at 1:11 am
Old May 20, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Anyone stay here yet?

Looking at a stay next month.
If there are no reports, please do a trip report in a new thread for the property (to make it easier to come up on FT search). Thx!

Cheers.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Another opinion, is that the #197 (express) bus to/from Schiphol is easier (to Leidseplein for the Marriott) than the train.

While I never take the #197 from Leidseplein (I take it further along, in Oud Zuid); I do believe it is approximately a block from the Marriott.

Remember, when you take the train, you need to navigate lots of stairs with lots of people and lots of bags (per this scenario above of a family of 7). With the bus, you just hop off and walk a block +/- to the Marriott (no stairs up/down etc.). It's really a great express bus (#197), and there would never be a reason to go from the Marriott to Centraal to Schiphol. It's a common misconception that the best way to/from Schiphol is the train. I mean, it's a fine way to/from the airport but not always the best way. I also feel, it's easier to keep a group together/organized on the bus to/from the airport.

Regarding location, that's subjective; but I believe overall the Marriott is a better location unless you have a huge desire to be closer to Red Light, more "coffee shops," more lousy (tourist oriented) restaurants and a much noisier and crowded area. Don't get me wrong, we often do quick one nights at the Renaissance (because it is sooooo cheap with our corporate rate); just taking a step back, as tourists and a family I would prefer the location of the Marriott.

Also, remember, it's a super small city. Leidseplein to Centrum is a short walk/tram/bike ride.
The 197 (Red) drops you off right across the street in the middle of the bridge very short hop to the hotel, can not get any better than that. Cheap too
Old May 21, 2015, 2:34 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by edgewood49
The 197 (Red) drops you off right across the street in the middle of the bridge very short hop to the hotel, can not get any better than that. Cheap too
Also, I might add it basically "starts" from that stop (or perhaps one stop before). So, you have a lot of room on the bus. This is often an issue for me, as I get on (to the airport) a few stops after this.

I also do believe that all the 197 buses are red and marked airport express.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Also, I might add it basically "starts" from that stop (or perhaps one stop before). So, you have a lot of room on the bus. This is often an issue for me, as I get on (to the airport) a few stops after this.

I also do believe that all the 197 buses are red and marked airport express.
Best deal in town !
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by eastnortheast
Seeking some advice from the savvy travelers here. The whole family will be spending one day/night in AMS at the end of June.

We will be arriving in the morning on a train from Germany, have all day in AMS and then have a (relatively) early flight out the following morning. There is going to be 7 people, so will need at least 2 (and maybe 3 rooms). Looking for advice on the best place to stay.

- my first thought was the airport Courtyard. Get to the hotel, dump the bags and then head back into town for sightseeing. My thought was that we would then be in a good location for the next mornings flight (plus the price is a bit cheaper). However,

- would the new Courtyard referenced above be a good idea? The price is right, but I dont know anything about the location relative to downtown and/or the airport.

- would downtown Ren or Marriott be better. That would allow us to closer to the action during our day of sightseeing, but more money and a bit more time needed the following morning to go to the airport.

Just looking for thoughts from folks that have spent time in the city previously. If it matters, I am Platinum with Marriott.
Update from our stay in Amsterdam. Thanks for all of the great advice offered by people. Ended up staying at the Marriott in Leidesplein. Train did indeed arrive at Central Station - took the tram and walked the short distance from the tram stop. Bit crowded with us and our luggage but we (and other passengers) survived.

We ended up getting two corner rooms - different floors but one directly above the other. We could have waited to have them both on the same floor, but since we wanted to dump luggage and do some sightseeing, we elected to take the one available room, and get the other when we first got back to the hotel.

Location was excellent - first time to Amsterdam, but the city felt compact enough that we walked to the various places we wanted to see. Popped back to the hotel for a rest when needed and then back out again.

Rooms were large - king sized bed, desk etc. I asked for a rollaway for each room, and they said it was normally 15 euro/bed, but they would waive the charge since I was platinum.

Evening spread in the lounge was good - it was not too crowded and the staff kept up with keeping the food stocked. Entry was by key card (I asked for two cards/room) and the only requirement that I saw regarding children was that those under 16 had to be accompanied by a parent.

When we checked in, "brochure" they gave us indicated that breakfast on Saturdays started at 0630. However, some of the family was down just a bit after 0600 (on a Saturday), and the lounge was open and had food out.

We had planned to take the #197 bus to the airport (5 euro/person), and after waiting at the bus stop for a while (10 minutes before what we thought was the next bus arrival until 10 minutes after the scheduled arrival), a minivan taxi offered us a ride to the airport for 45 euro. Since it would have been 35 euro for the bus (and we weren't sure when it was coming), we ended up taking him up on his offer and used the taxi. Took only about 10-15 minutes on an early Sat. morning.

All in all, it worked out really well. Again, thanks to those that responded and provided details and advice on some of the logistics.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:56 am

Update from our stay in Amsterdam. Thanks for all of the great advice offered by people. Ended up staying at the Marriott in Leidesplein. Train did indeed arrive at Central Station - took the tram and walked the short distance from the tram stop. Bit crowded with us and our luggage but we (and other passengers) survived.

We ended up getting two corner rooms - different floors but one directly above the other. We could have waited to have them both on the same floor, but since we wanted to dump luggage and do some sightseeing, we elected to take the one available room, and get the other when we first got back to the hotel.

Location was excellent - first time to Amsterdam, but the city felt compact enough that we walked to the various places we wanted to see. Popped back to the hotel for a rest when needed and then back out again.

Rooms were large - king sized bed, desk etc. I asked for a rollaway for each room, and they said it was normally 15 euro/bed, but they would waive the charge since I was platinum.

Evening spread in the lounge was good - it was not too crowded and the staff kept up with keeping the food stocked. Entry was by key card (I asked for two cards/room) and the only requirement that I saw regarding children was that those under 16 had to be accompanied by a parent.

When we checked in, "brochure" they gave us indicated that breakfast on Saturdays started at 0630. However, some of the family was down just a bit after 0600 (on a Saturday), and the lounge was open and had food out.

We had planned to take the #197 bus to the airport (5 euro/person), and after waiting at the bus stop for a while (10 minutes before what we thought was the next bus arrival until 10 minutes after the scheduled arrival), a minivan taxi offered us a ride to the airport for 45 euro. Since it would have been 35 euro for the bus (and we weren't sure when it was coming), we ended up taking him up on his offer and used the taxi. Took only about 10-15 minutes on an early Sat. morning.

All in all, it worked out really well. Again, thanks to those that responded and provided details and advice on some of the logistics.

It is a great location and solid Marriott. The lounge is one of the best for traveling in Europe. Surprised at the #197 as it's usually right on time, Dutch efficiency
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:06 am

Update from our stay in Amsterdam. Thanks for all of the great advice offered by people. Ended up staying at the Marriott in Leidesplein.

Glad it all worked out & you had a nice time!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.