Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2003, 5:04 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I've made an odyssey into the nirvana where I found the missing threads with the reviews from
sre2v
Vasbyte
The threads were archived recently.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Apr 25, 2004, 5:07 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

JW in Rio de Janeiro

How is the JW in Rio ? Any experiences ?
Pros /Cons Interested in any aspects
Thank You
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I Know that I have posted a few comments here about this hotel before-but overall it is a good hotel.

Rooms are average, ocean view rooms are very nice, but it is possible to get an interior view so be cautious when booking. Rooftop has a pool which is cool, and enough talking to the bar staff will result in instant friendship and a personal guide out at night ^

The hotel is on Copacabana beach and as I am sure you know the area can be a bit dangerous to tourists. They have there own secure area on the beach that is guarded during the day-seemed a bit overkill for me but to each their own.

Overall, the cost of the hotel is the only real negative. If this is an area of concern you can certainly do a lot better.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:47 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Cool Rio JW Marriott end of May

Am returning in 3 weeks for a 7 day R&R visit via a Certificate.

I enjoyed the complimentary introduction to the Executive lounge, when I rescheduled the visit from last October. Great view of the beach and convenient to many activities and restaurants just around the corner.

Everything you ever wanted is within reach!

Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:00 am

JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro - comments?

We plan a vacation in Rio de Janeiro for january and I found a JW property in the city as the only Marriott in town. Has anyone experience with this hotel? Is the location OK for sightseeing and shopping? As I see on their website it seems to be directly on the beach.

Thanks for any comment !

Markus
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:33 am

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
jw marriott

good loctoation on Copacabana beach if you want PM me, I have lived in Rio for a year.
rm
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
It is a very good Marriott.

Great executive lounge w/view.

Top floor pool w/sauna has a great view.
(Note: Pool is tiny and too warm, and sauna was at 112 degrees...I liked it that hot)
But dispite that the view is sweet.

The rooms are standard and the steak dinner in the restaurant was very good.
Booked a dinner show through the hotel and it was worth it.

The beach staff is incredibly attentive.

Are you going to Iguassu falls?
Just a note, if your going to Rio and NOT to Iguassu falls please reconsider because you'd be making a big mistake.

It's the most beautiful place on earth!!!
(You MUST go to both sides, allow one day for each side)

tasnam
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:57 pm

I was there last week and I agree with previous posts. It's not one of the best JWM I've been to but it's pretty nice. The location on Copacabana puts you right in the middle of the action and the service is pretty good.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:05 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Arrow JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro

Hi... Im considering staying at this property for 2 nights in mid January... and wanted to ask the resident Marriott gurus about any recent stay/experience you may have at this property. Im also considering the 2 Sheraton properties in town... although I realize the comparison may not be "fair" considering the different locations.

Apart from having a nice hotel to enjoy... I want to be able to walk around and have dinner and also be within striking distance of the usual tourist spots...

Thanks very much....
Gaucho100K
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I stayed there last February and I did enjoy my stay. The hotel is very nice. I got to use the lounge which was great. Certainly saves on food. We walked the Copa beach every day. As for tourist location, I'm not sure if there's much near by that's walking distance. At least I wasn't aware of anything. IMHO, I thought the Ipanema beach was closer to more stores, restaurants and bars. If i were to go again, i would prefer Ipanema. I felt it was more centrally located.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 5:52 pm

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
Great Location

Great Location, close to everything and a SAFE location, after living in Rio for a year PM me a I will give you more info.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 6:43 am

The property is fine, on the Avenue overlooking and across the street from Copacabana beach. The restaurants is better than most hotel type fares.

remember, Copacabana area at night requires being vigilante to multiple scams etc. from time to time.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:27 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks.... is the location of this hotel considered to be Ipanema...? Or is it Copacabana..? Are these two areas next to each other...?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 8:56 am

Arrow

Im going to book myself into the Marriott.... so, while I am a member of the rewards program, since I rarely do send my business their way its probably better for me to get miles instead of points... does Marriott give the option to get airline miles? If so, do they participate with Qantas as a partner?

Thanks !!!
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks.... is the location of this hotel considered to be Ipanema...? Or is it Copacabana..? Are these two areas next to each other...?

Thanks again.
This is Copacabana beach - Ipanema is on the right anglish to Copacabana beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.