Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Lodge at Sonoma Resort, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Hotel website: The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa

Resort fee includes (hat tip to sg59) includes: internet, daily hike, yoga, 2hr free bicycle rental, winetasting and minibus to Sonoma square. resort fee also covers daily Sangria (if you like that), two bottles of water daily, a single use $10 discount voucher that you can use at The Bean and bottle or The Spa. There is daily yoga and a local hike, as platinum we could rent a bike free for two hours. Reception have free coffee, mini muffins and croissants about 8.30 am, and fruit and cookies in the afternoon about 4pm, before wine tasting.

Breakfast: option of 1,000 points or breakfast. Breakfast allowance is $30 pp (max 2). (Update 5/11/2019: YMMV on breakfast; there is a meager "continental buffet" and depending on the wait staff you may be permitted to order eggs and sides for free as well.)
Print Wikipost

The Lodge at Sonoma Resort, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MGG
that I do all the time....I have never seen it indicate a specific room upgrade based on states etc which is what the prior posted sounded like; thanks much
As was stated a few times, the individual reservation lists the room type that you have booked. More times then not you will see the room type change closer to your checkin date if an upgrade was given. The differene is bigger for properties that have several types of rooms like the Lodge in this post, rather then the tpical FS hotel that has Concierge and not-Concierge level rooms.

--DD73

P.S. I will post a full trip report when we get home but tonight is our 5th wedding anniversary and I don't have time to post anything yet
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

Any recent reporrts? Is the restaurant at the hotel still outstanding?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Yes

Yes, both are killer for what it is.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:59 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
SanDiego1K, I posted my September visit here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ry-hotels.html

From 18 Sep 09:
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
My wife and I just spent a week at the Lodge at Sonoma. Top notch. Carnero's was fantastic; had both breakfast and dinner there. My wife loved the spa. Excellent staff. Upgraded to an upstairs cottage as a plat.
Hands down one of the very best Marriott properties we've stayed at.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
What's the best way to get to Sonoma from SFO? Is there a helicopter service?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Rent a car. It's not a bad drive.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:57 am

We just had a pleasant two night stay at the property.

First and foremost, I loved staying in Sonoma. We've stayed near Napa and in Healdsburg on earlier visits to the area. Staying in Sonoma was perfect for us. The town is charming, there is a concentration of great restaurants, and we did several things in Glen Ellen which is only a 10 minute drive from Sonoma. It was a very quick drive from SFO, just over one hour. We will definitely return.

The hotel wasn't quite all that I had hoped for from reading posts above, though it was certainly acceptable. When you enter the property, Carneros, their restaurant, is immediately to the right, then the hotel building straight ahead. The hotel property is a long rectangle, with a motel like building at the front and the "cottages" extending the length of the property. The spa is at the far end. The U of the front building opens to the swimming pool and a small jacuzzi. There is a very nice sitting area just outside the lobby, with tables and rattan chairs.

I am a platinum, and we were upgraded to a "cottage". I took a food amenity, as they said the cheese was local. It might have been, but the round of brie looked no different than any I have received in Rens throughout the world. I had naively hoped for locally made artisan cheese, as there are superb local products. The hotel very graciously then sent a bowl of mixed nuts (heavy on the peanuts) and a fruit plate.

I think that the word "cottage" gave me a certain expectation of charm which was not fulfilled. These buildings look rather like modern southern California condo complexes, with 3 or 4 rooms per building. The room is a long junior suite. As you enter, the bed is to the left with the sitting area to the right. There is a love seat, a chair, a small coffee table, and a large flat screen TV. Beyond is the bathroom, with shutters that can be opened between the tub and the bedroom. There is a separate, small shower in the room housing the toilet. Fireplaces are gas. There is parking that goes around the outside of the buildings, so we parked very close to our room. Thus, we never went thru the lobby. This gives considerable privacy but it also gives a feeling of distance from any common shared area. We had no interaction with staff other than check in, check out, and the discussion about our amenity.

The onsite restaurant, Carneros, is really excellent. There were imaginative choices on the breakfast menu, a rarity these days. I strongly endorse the lemon scones with lemon marscapone and orange mamalade. We also had lunch one day. Places we ate in Sonoma, all terrific:
  • a girl and a fig
  • Cafe LaHaye
  • Swiss Hotel - had an amazing flat bread/baked brie/roasted garlic appetizer I made my main meal
  • Vella cheese factory - ok, not a meal, but well worth a visit to buy their aged Monterey Jack cheese. Superb.

There are a number of historic sites in the area, worth a visit:
  • Sonoma Mission (furthest north of the California missions) and barracks
  • Jack London State Park, Glen Ellen - where Jack London lived the latter years of his short life. Fascinating
  • Charles Schulz Museum, Santa Rosa - further afield, about a 30 minute drive, and a lot of fun

It was one of those magical trips that left us wanting more and hoping to return soon.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We just had a pleasant two night stay at the property.

First and foremost, I loved staying in Sonoma.
It was one of those magical trips that left us wanting more and hoping to return soon.
SanDiego1K - thanks for review. Is "cottage" their best room? Is the bedroom separate from the living room? We are going with our son and would prefer a private bedroom if possible. I checked there website and it says something about "suites" with bedroom.
Have you used the Spa at all?
Also, have you done any public wine tastings around the property?

our future stay is April 1-2, hoping for beautiful warm weather...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Green_eyes
SanDiego1K - thanks for review. Is "cottage" their best room? Is the bedroom separate from the living room? We are going with our son and would prefer a private bedroom if possible. I checked there website and it says something about "suites" with bedroom.

Our room, called a cottage, was in one of the separate buildings that house 3 or 4 units. It was not a suite, though it had a fireplace.

We did not use the spa.

I'm of no help on the wine tastings.

Have a wonderful time. It's such a lovely area.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:01 am

thank you - I am sure we wll. Planning on biking tours in the area and kayaking on the Russian River!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC

The base rooms are in the lodge, which is the main part of the hotel where the front desk is. Cottage rooms are more expensive, or given as an upgrade to elites. IIRC there is a flimsy folding door that can separate the main bedroom from the living area. They have suites both in the lodge and in the cottages which do have separate, private bedrooms but they only have a few and they are quite expensive (or require a great deal of luck to score as an upgrade).

The spa there is wonderful. Very relaxing with great service. My wife and I pampered ourselves with a full day there during our last stay. We took a treatment break around lunchtime and they had room service deliver lunch to us in their private courtyard. It's really a secluded retreat within what is already a very pleasant area.

Regarding wine tasting, the one piece of advice I'll give is to avoid the on-site tasting room. They lease the space from Marriott and are bitter about it, and really turned us off with their attitude. The concierge should be able to help with wine tasting maps, advice, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Thanks a lot! I was trying to see
those Suites online, but they dont have them available for booking.... Will def. hit the spa. Is on-site parking free?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:02 am

Is on-site parking free?
Yes. The hotel buildings are in a long rectangle, with parking outside on all sides.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Renaissance Sonoma

I am going to reserve a guest room at the lodge, but as a Gold, can I look forward to an upgrade to a cottage room if one is available?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Gold upgrade

I stayed at the Rennaisance Sonoma this summer and was upgraded to one of the lodges. However, I can tell you that in my opinion, there is not a lot of difference in the size of the lodge versus a regular room. Others in the party had regular rooms.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.