Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Downgrade Coming - How to Keep Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,

I am a Marriott Platinum memebr and will be downgraded to Gold next month I believe.

I recall there used to be an offer to use redeem points to keep Platinum, is there such an offer available?

Also Is there any other way to keep Platinum Status?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by navatwal
I recall there used to be an offer to use redeem points to keep Platinum, is there such an offer available?
Elite Status Buyback.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
thanks for sharing.

40k seems pretty high to keep Platinum as opposed to 25k for Gold.

The real added benefit is the SPG Platinum Status that comes with it.

Any other suggestions before i take the plunge?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
How close were you to 75 nights in 2016?

Does your Rewards status online indicate an expiration date?

It's not unusual for the Rewards program to keep a guest at an elite level, even if the guest didn't quite achieve the renewal requirement.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace

It's not unusual for the Rewards program to keep a guest at an elite level, even if the guest didn't quite achieve the renewal requirement.
Agree. If I were the OP I'd wait to see if I got dropped to Gold or kept as Platinum.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

I do not see an expiry date anywhere... It just says Platinum Elite Status.

Last edited by navatwal; Feb 22, 2017 at 11:26 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I do not see an expiry date anywhere... It just says Platinum Elite Status.
An expiry date on what? Anywhere where?

MR status expires at the end of February, though there have been reports of that varying by a few days, and MR isn't all that clear on documenting expiration.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 22, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Poster

My Platinum Rewards Status Online does not Indicate any Expiry Date.

If your status is expiring shoud you see an expiry date?

Originally Posted by CPRich

MR status expires at the end of February, though there have been reports of that varying by a few days, and MR isn't all that clear on documenting expiration.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
How many nights did you stay in 2016? I remained a plat for years without ever hitting 75 nights every year. Always over 50, so more than Gold, but not the Plat threshold. Many others have seen the same thing.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich

OP is trying to figure out if OP's Platinum status is through the end of February 2017 or February 2018.

In other words, has OP's Platinum status been renewed, despite not achieving 75 nights in 2016?

Other loyalty programs have a "through" date online for elite status. Marriott Rewards doesn't in my case, but I have lifetime Platinum. Does Marriott have a status expiration date somewhere online for those who don't have lifetime status?

OP could wait until early March to find out. I can understand OP not wanting to wait, especially if OP is currently making travel plans for 2017. For example, getting breakfast at an SPG property as Platinum but not as Gold could be part of the decision process when picking properties.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:27 pm

I don't know about the OP, but I receive an email every year congratulating me for renewing Plat. On that email is says I have Plat through a certain month (February 2019 in this case).

So, maybe that's how he knows when his Plat will turn to gold, as it were.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

My MR Platinum status has today changed to Gold.

My SPG status is still Platinum.... will have to see how it stands tomorrow.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:19 pm

How often are you going to be staying at SPG properties this year? If not a lot, might not be worth the 40K buy-back to get to Plat. If you're going to stay at MAR properties primarily, Gold gets you most of Plat bennies.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

I have no plans just yet for any stays this year.... I have Hyatt Diamond for another year....I dont want to totally lose SPG Platinum, is it possible to leave as is and buy back to Platinum in a years time say in Feb 2018?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:21 pm

I have no plans just yet for any stays this year.... I have Hyatt Diamond for another year....I dont want to totally lose SPG Platinum, is it possible to leave as is and buy back to Platinum in a years time say in Feb 2018?
No. Assuming Marriott offers the buy back program in 2018, you can only buy back to your status of the year before (2017), which would be Gold.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.