Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has Marriott quietly moved towards a 2-day prior to arrival Cancellation Policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Marriott quietly moved towards a 2-day prior to arrival Cancellation Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Saw this on Marriott Insiders.

"Just received an email from our corporate travel office that Marriott has revised its cancellation policy and has now instituted a 2 day prior to arrival cancellation policy for properties in a lot of major cities (Boston, NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver) that we travel to. Some West Coast cities (San Diego, San Francisco) now have a 3 day prior to arrival cancellation policy. Because of this change we now have to justify booking Marriott, since our travel plans can change and corporate does not want to get charged no-show fees!

When was this change to the cancellation policy announced? Do MR elites get any type of waiver to this cancellation policy?

This will definitely impact my business stays at Marriott this year and I probably won't make platinum as a result!"

Looks like its targeted cities.
If you have a corporate rate, I'm surprised that the cancellation deadline isn't part of the contract.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
See above, mine is in certain cities but not in SF apparently...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've been seeing this lately in certain cities and properties as well. Some are the 'normal' 1 day, and then I see 2 or 3 days. Also seems to be based on demand periods.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I am seeing these new 2 day prior to arrival cancellation policies for all rrefundable rates (AAA, Corporate, Government, Leisure) regardless of demand period; NY & Philly in February with rates sub $200 is not a high demand period. Same with other cities. San Francisco and San Diego now have 3 day prior to arrival cancellation rules for the properties within those cities!

Regards,

RIP...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Waikiki Marriott changed their Gov Rate cancel from 3 to 7 days the last year or so.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Pretty crappy... seems like they're trying to push hard to extract more out of business travelers due to last minute changes.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rylan
Pretty crappy... seems like they're trying to push hard to extract more out of business travelers due to last minute changes.
Is it possible to change the dates of the booked reservation to avoid having to pay under the cancellation policy terms?

To change the dates of a reservation is not the same as to cancel a reservation, so I'm curious if some sort of date changes could be done to a reservation so as to avoid being hit by the cancellation policy terms.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is it possible to change the dates of the booked reservation to avoid having to pay under the cancellation policy terms?
That just depends on what the rate rules applicable to your stay say. Nonrefundable rates typically say "no changes." Looking at an upcoming Marriott stay, my AAA rate would allow changes but not a cancel.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It's happening in Malaysia as well. Only gave me two days to cancel when I booked.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:26 pm

Wasn't there a pretty big announcement & hoopla when they went to 1 day from day of arrival? I guess the impact was so favorable to Marriott now they are greedily (and stealthy) trying for more...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joshua362
Wasn't there a pretty big announcement & hoopla when they went to 1 day from day of arrival? I guess the impact was so favorable to Marriott now they are greedily (and stealthy) trying for more...
Again, this is not just Marriott. I'm seeing it across brands. Hyatt's been doing this for months.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:35 pm

Gotcha. I generally only care and stay at Marriott's since their loyalty program did its job in 2005 and sucked me in. Sorry to see the long (and I guess common) slide to the bottom since 2009. SPG too?

When huge players merge and eliminate competition, we are the losers, I bet this is another side effect.

Again, I would love to know if PLT can still cancel DOA as rumored & undocumented in the past. If anyone tries it, please report.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Again, this is not just Marriott. I'm seeing it across brands. Hyatt's been doing this for months.
I was wondering the same thing - ie, was it only MAR or if other chains were doing similar.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I was wondering the same thing - ie, was it only MAR or if other chains were doing similar.

Cheers.
I just booked a Hyatt stay through a conference link with a 3 pm 72 hour cancellation time. Would really prefer to stay at the Marriott that is close by, but not for a $70 a night difference. will have to watch and see if the Marriott drops their rate as we get closer to the stay.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:12 pm

My recent Hyatt stays (within past two months) in NYC and San Diego have been 48 hour cancels, San Francisco 72 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.