Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Reimagines Its Mobile App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Reimagines Its Mobile App

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
New Marriott Mobile Apps

Has anyone noticed the new iPhone, Blackberry, and Android Marriott apps?
They're on the homepage of marriott.com

Just an FYI...happy Monday travels!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I just downloaded the Android app and tried a dummy reservation... I like this!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Downloaded the iPhone app and it's great.

I also have the new Blackberry 9930 on Verizon and it is not supported yet, so that sucks!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:23 pm

Android app works great!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: All
I'm a bit underwhelmed. It appears to just be the mobile Marriott website with a marginally prettier spinning "thinking" icon.

That said I certainly don't blame them. I find it ridiculous that people need to build separate apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry OS, WebOS (RIP), Windows Mobile, etc... Why not just build mobile web apps using some web standard that works on all mobile devices? (At least for apps like this that require a network connection.)

In any case I'll probably just continue using the mobile website, rather than bog my phone down with more apps, as it provides the same functionality.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Sure did - here, here and here.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:42 pm

WOW... Years after all the other hotel companies... Marriott does something.

Better late then never
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by abw1987
I'm a bit underwhelmed. It appears to just be the mobile Marriott website with a marginally prettier spinning "thinking" icon.

That said I certainly don't blame them. I find it ridiculous that people need to build separate apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry OS, WebOS (RIP), Windows Mobile, etc... Why not just build mobile web apps using some web standard that works on all mobile devices? (At least for apps like this that require a network connection.)

In any case I'll probably just continue using the mobile website, rather than bog my phone down with more apps, as it provides the same functionality.
^
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
didn't like the Android app - uninstalled

I'm underwhelmed.
  1. Lots of websites have turned into apps now. I don't get it. If it doesn't offer any additional functionality, what's the point? If they just want to offer something lighter, why not just have a mobile version of the website instead? Although even that... with today's phones/devices, that's hardly necessary anymore.
  2. This app can not be moved to the SD card. Yeah... it's 2011, not 2009. Every app (except for widgets) should accept to be moved to the SD card.
  3. Why does the app need to know my location? If I use a browser I can have that blocked; however when you install the app you have to agree to share your location.

No thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hilton Silver (Yuck)
Expect to see this happen more and more. Any network based app will gradually become based upon mobile websites. It's much cheaper, and let's be honest, this Marriott "app" works just fine, with a minimal amount of coding by them, and when they update the website, it will update across all the devices. It just makes more sense from that standpoint.

I will use the "App" because it's much fast for me to click on the icon than to go to the website, and, as said before, it's prettier (and it only takes up like 1mb...it doesn't NEED to go to the SD card)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:06 pm

While I wouldn't say I'm blown away, I think the iPhone app is perfectly functional. No complaints here.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I think it's pretty!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I actually like the app for the iPhone. While I haven't used it to make reservations, I do like how quickly and easily my reservation for the night pops up, making it easy to get the location into my GPS quickly. It used to be a nightmare to find the confirmation email, and then find the address in the confirmation email. (Although part of my happiness may be due to switching from a Blackberry to an iPhone recently.)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: US Silver Hilton Gold SPG Gold Marriott Plat AA Gold
Thumbs down this is no app

This is unfortunate. To build an app that is nothing more than a bookmark is a shame. Just book mark the mobile site page and save a meg of space. If this is all they were going to do, the could have just sent out an email asking to bookmark the new mobile site.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: MR Gold, CO
I like the new app. The only thing that seemed to be missing was having an actual calendar pop up when I'm looking for dates I need to stay at a location. Is Marriott giving extra points for booking through the app?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.