Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Reimagines Its Mobile App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by florin
How is this cheaper? Cheaper than what? It does not replace the website; it's basically the same thing (only limited!).

If you bookmark the website it also takes exactly 1 click. It's not faster to access anymore than it is cheaper.

We are in agreement here. As an Android user I am used to an app being an actual application with its own functionality. A replica of a website is hardly an app when it can easily be replaced with a bookmark. Utterly pointless.
This isnt a rehash of mobile web apparently. Looks like a native app. I think this is a good start and as new features are available it will be better. Although I do see some issues with performance.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:10 am

There's a new version of the iPhone app (1.4) available.

The list of changes from iTunes:
  • French, German, Spanish and Chinese versions of the app for iPhone
  • Improved “My Account” features, including all your upcoming reservations, hotel phone numbers, check-out date, and Lifetime nights
  • New, in-language, global city guides
  • A new Help and Feedback form
  • Multiple bug fixes
Unfortunately, the number of lifetime nights displayed is completely wrong. My app just shows me the number of nights this year. (How does this even happen? Is it actually possible to be a mobile app developer and have trouble telling database fields apart and publish the code without noticing the bug?)

The “city guides” are just a link to mobilecityguides.com in Safari. This seems to be another one of those completely useless lists of completely random businesses like the wcities.com stuff that briefly made an appearance on the marriott.com website.

For example, this is what shows up at mobilecityguides.com/austin:
  • Things Celtic — Jewely, Music, Stone Carvings
  • Blue Velvet — Timeless Clothes
  • Hog Wild — Vintage, Disco and Hippie
  • Fetish — Women's Shoes Store
  • Anjely — Antiques and Art Shop

The first three are inferior thrift-type stores. Maybe if you wanted to bring back a gift from Austin to, like, Houston, they would make a tiny shred of sense, but I don't think anyone from Austin would actually recommend these stores. (You'd be better off wandering down South Congress Avenue where there's a whole bunch of this sort of stuff.)

I believe the fourth (Fetish shoe store) has been closed for several years now.

The last (Anjely) is actually someone's house. According to the Anjely.com website some travels to Africa and buys stuff you can order from her online. Not only is the address on mobilecityguides.com just a residence, not a retail store, the owner of Anjely.com has moved (to Cedar Park) and the official Marriott International mobile app is directing hotel guests to some random person's house!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

http://news.marriott.com/2017/02/mar...rld-travelers/

Excerpt:

"App puts power in the hands of Marriott Rewards members to personalize their travel experience

Today marks the launch of the newly redesigned and engaging Marriott Mobile app for iOS users in five languages, with Android coming soon. Guests will enjoy new and expanded digital features; customized travel content; simple, one-button navigation; and a new swipe-able discovery home screen.

For Marriott Rewards members, the new Marriott Mobile app dynamically adjusts to personalize the user’s experience throughout their travel journey. Whether members are in trip planning mode, getting ready to travel, in transit, or enjoying their hotel stay, the app will display content and features based on what services members are most likely to need in that moment of their travel journey.

Starting today, the Marriott Mobile app for IOS is available in the Apple App Store in English, Chinese, Spanish, French and German. Following this year, Android users will be able download the app in Google Play.

Since Marriott became the first hotel company to offer Mobile Check-in/Checkout and Mobile Room Ready Alerts worldwide in 2014, more than 12 million members have taken advantage of it. The popular feature will now be easier to use and more powerful. For example, when members check in using the app, for the first time they will now be able to request room upgrades and receive notification it has been fulfilled before they arrive. Also for the first time, they will be able to request a late check-out in the app rather than at front desk, which is guaranteed for Gold and Platinum Elite Members.

With the app’s innovative new navigation, members will find it even easier to customize their stay with Mobile Requests. Guests can use the app to chat directly with hotel staff before, during and after their stays for special requests that require personal attention, or choose from a drop-down menu of the most frequently requested services or amenities such as more towels or extra pillows. Fully 54 percent of users make their requests before they’ve even checked-in. Having been the first to offer Mobile Requests globally beginning in 2015, the service is currently available at more than 4,000 hotels worldwide.

With the app relaunch, Marriott is also expanding Mobile Key, rolling out to more than 500 hotels globally this year. Members who check-in using the Marriott Mobile app can choose to skip the front desk and go straight to their room, using their smartphone to open the door.

For travelers in planning mode, they will now be able to precisely narrow down their destination searches by address or point-of-interest to find the closest, most convenient hotel, and to save their favorite hotels for quicker future bookings.

Increasingly, travelers are seeking more authentic destination information from local experts whether they’re choosing where to go or looking for tips for what to do once they get there. For the first time, the app will deliver curated, original content from Marriott’s digital magazine, Traveler based on users’ previous hotel searches or upcoming travels.

Easier Navigation:Members will engage with the app’s new interface that features an innovative “one-button” ergonomic design. Inspired by observing travelers as they dashed through airports, balancing their phone in one hand and luggage in the other, the new design offers simple thumb-tap access to everything the app has to offer.

In a departure from other hospitality apps, the typical “never-changing” home screen has been replaced with four dynamic, swipe-able screens triggered by what travelers may need at a specific point in their journey. For example, members leaving on their trip will see Mobile Check-in and Mobile Requests when they open the app. Whereas the app will greet members with future travels with their Marriott Rewards account information and personalized destination content from Traveler based on preferences and data.

What’s Next
Marriott will launch real-time app messaging called mPlaces with travel and hotel information, recognition and offers at the right time and place for Marriott Rewards members throughout their stays. mPlaces will debut later this year by greeting members with a personal welcome when they arrive at their hotel.

Over time, Marriott will add more personalized and informative content based on data and driven by beacons now installed at over 500 hotels. For example, members who typically workout while they travel would receive information about the location, hours and services of the hotel fitness facility. Other future app features will enable members to order restaurant and room service menu items delivered wherever they are, such as lounging by the pool."

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Functionality now very similar to Hilton's app, which is quite excellent. Though I'm not sure Marriott has the in-app room selection option (with floor plans) at check-in, which is probably Hilton's coolest feature.

Will be interested to see how it works immediately prior to and during the next stay.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:39 am

Looking forward to the digital key roll out. It seems most of the places with mobile check-in, that desk is never staffed so you end up in line anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm wondering if these digital keys will be coded for lounge access?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm wondering if these digital keys will be coded for lounge access?
That's the way Hilton works. The app will display all of the places it will unlock (lounge, gym, pool etc.).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:47 am

I've been beta testing this for a while. The beta has a feature to select checkout, but no selection for a time. Takes a little getting used to.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Functionality now very similar to Hilton's app, which is quite excellent. Though I'm not sure Marriott has the in-app room selection option (with floor plans) at check-in, which is probably Hilton's coolest feature.

Will be interested to see how it works immediately prior to and during the next stay.
It does not have that feature.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
It sucks. I tried it yesterday after upgrading and also again today, only to receive the following message. As usual Marriott IT is living up to their reputation:

Apologies

We are currently experiencing a problem with our systems and are working hard to fix the issue.

For your Marriott Rewards account, reservations, and booking a stay, please visit our web site.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
It sucks. I tried it yesterday after upgrading and also again today, only to receive the following message. As usual Marriott IT is living up to their reputation:
It is just a beta after all. They probably took down the service voluntarily to fix some bugs. Either way, I hope the app is done before my upcoming stays in May, let alone hope they release the android version.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Beta? More like Alpha. Software testing has always been absent from their rollouts. I would say afterthought, but that is being way too generous. Only Marriott IT would roll out Alpha to the public.

Now it at least came up, but I am only seeing 3 of my 40 upcoming reservations; 2 from South Africa in September and one from Barcelona in December. I wonder how it decided on those?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:36 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Agreed. I can't pull up any upcoming reservations at all.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Which rocket scientist designed this?

Apparently I have 0 lifetime nights

No upcoming stays

No nights this year - despite requalifying for Platinum on Tuesday night (56 roll over)

*** deletes app ***
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 2MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, HHonors
Originally Posted by Kacee

Looks like they were trying to follow the Hilton app's experience. So far I'm not a fan. At least with the Hilton app the menu options are docked at the bottom and have labels. The menu toggling with the single button in the corner is not intuitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.