Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2002, 4:49 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

search yielded very little info on the Portland Marriott properties.

Any feedback for tourist who has never been?

Also, would late May or early June be a good time to visit?
Old Apr 9, 2002, 9:14 am
GG

There are 2 "real" Marriotts and a slew of CYs, RIs, FFIs, etc. in the Portland area.

The Marriott City Center is newer to the Marriott family, and we have not stayed there. We've stayed at the Downtown Marriott and had fine experiences, including an upgrade to the Presidential Suite, during a summer Blues Festival in the park across the street. We loved sitting on our balcony and listening to the music. I don't recall much about the Concierge Lounge except that there is one.

What's best for you depends on what you want to do in Portland. Most of our business (at conventions) seems to be at the Doubletrees on Hayden Island, so downtown isn't a good location for us. There is a nice new Courtyard on the Columbia River 5 mins. or less from the Interstate, where we stayed two weeks ago. It worked great for us, but if you want to stroll around downtown after dinner, or want nightlife, it's not a good bet.

I would AVOID the FFI at the airport, which is really grungy. We moved out after one night last summer (one of those arrive at 3am body time deals) to the CY just down the road , where we got the same rate for a much nicer room and real breakfast in the restaurant. But there's no real reason to stay around the airport except when you get in really late or are leaving very early.

If you're into good beer, Portland is a wonderful place! There are scads of microbreweries.

And don't miss a chance to make the drive out the Columbia River Gorge at least to the Dalles - amazing scenery.

There are plenty of PDX FTers who could give you more extensive local info than I can. You might want to post a separate question on the travel forum (and hope! )

Have fun!
Old Apr 9, 2002, 12:17 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
We've stayed at both the Marriott City Center and the Marriott Downtown and both seemed okay to us, but if the price is the same, I would prefer the Marriott Downtown to the Marriott City Center. On the other hand, the Marriot City Center proved to be walking distance to both Pioneer Square AND Powell's Bookstore, so it was well located for our purposes.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:40 pm

City Center is more centrally located, and close to great mass transit as well as lots of places to walk to. However, the other hotel has a nice view of the river and, on that rare clear day, Mt. Hood et al.

Definitely agree about taking a trip out the Gorge, not necessarily all the way to The Dalles, but at least to Multnomah Falls. Take the old highway (rather than I84) at least one way for some great scenery. Just keep going East on Stark street for downtown, and follow the road.Then take I 84 back to Portland. In the other direction, you can get from the Marriott to the ocean (Cannon Beach or Seaside) in a bit over an hour. Just head West on Sunset Hwy ( featured in an Ann Rule book and movie).
Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:44 pm

P.S. June will probably be better weather, but still a good chance of overcast and drizzle. (Oregonians don't tan, they rust).

If in June, you might be there at the same time as the Rose Festival..one week of parades and other events, complete with Navy and other ships coming up the river.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 7:10 pm

Portland City Center or Portland Downtown?

Did a search but couldn't find a comparison of the two downtonwn Portland, OR Marriotts. Looks like they are very near each other. I'll be in town for a couple days; any thoughts on which to stay at?
Old Jan 22, 2003, 8:46 am

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
I have had two stays at the City Center in the past two weeks. It is smaller than the other one, no pool, but other than that I loved it!

Beautiful room, great room service, friendly staff.

The downside, $22.00 per day to park!

I love this hotel though and it is right in the middle of everything!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
PDX Downtown or PDX City Center?

Which would you choose?

The info page on the City Center property touts the "boutique" style of the hotel, which will surely please Ms. JPT. However, I get the impression that the Downtown property offers more services.

My guess is that the Downtown property is more suitable for a business stay, and that the City Center property would be better for vacationing (which is what we'll be doing).

Thoughts?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
I always enjoyed staying at the downtown Marriott in Portland. Right across the street is a nice walking area on the river. It is not far from other attractions in the downtown Portland vicinity. Your wife will also enjoy the small shops on the riverfront. Also, some of the best omelettes are served in the American Grille.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 2:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
Which would you choose?

The info page on the City Center property touts the "boutique" style of the hotel, which will surely please Ms. JPT. However, I get the impression that the Downtown property offers more services.

My guess is that the Downtown property is more suitable for a business stay, and that the City Center property would be better for vacationing (which is what we'll be doing).

Thoughts?
</font>
Without question go with Downtown over City Center. Downtown has slightly bigger rooms and the views of Mt. Hood and the Williamette River are better. Only rub against Downtown is that the Allie's Grill and the Champions are very blah.
Old May 21, 2005, 12:05 pm

Which Portland Marriott is better?

Which do you like better, and why?

Portland Marriott Waterfront Downtown vs. Portland Marriott City Center?

Thanks for your opinions.
Old May 21, 2005, 8:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Hotels, Alaska Air, Delta/Northwest Air
Originally Posted by albatross

I like City Center primarily for its location. It's close to everything, and two blocks from a light rail stop for all 3 lines.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:44 pm

PHXMike, Thanks so much for the input. I didn't realize about the light rail, and now I see that I can get there from the airport for $1.70!

Thanks man!

albatross

Originally Posted by PHXMike
I like City Center primarily for its location. It's close to everything, and two blocks from a light rail stop for all 3 lines.
Old May 22, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold
Originally Posted by albatross

City center is much newer. Waterfront has nice views but needs a remod.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:41 am
Suspended

I have not stayed at the City Center property -- or even have seen it on the inside -- so I can be of no help on that front, but I recently have returned from a 4 night stay at the Waterfront Marriott and give the place two thumbs up for cleanliness and for its many attempts to try to please its guests.

I stayed at this property over the 4th of July weekend for the Waterfron Blues Festival and it was super.

Although not everyone will receive the suite upgrade that I received, the management is very receptive to treating its Marriott elite guests quite well --by upgrading to river vue rooms, etc.

In addition, the bedding for the property has been upgraded to reflect the pillow top matresses that are in vogue, and the new GM has told me that this is very similar if not the same that is being used in the Ritz Carlton chain. In addition, he will be attempting to have the owners spend $$ on a rooms renovation, although from what I saw of my and other regular rooms, although not brand new, the rooms appear to be in very good condition.

Because the Concierge Lounge was closed Sunday and Monday, in addition to the complimentary breakfast coupons that I received, I also was given two appetizer coupons per day for use from room service or in the Lounge -- by the way, the breakfast and appetizer coupons include tax, tip and service charges! When the lounge did re-open on Tuesday morning, scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon, in addition to pastries, cereal, and fruit were readily available.

Emblematic of management's great attitude towards it's guests, because the hotel was quite full because of the Blues Festival, it dropped the price of the morning all you can eat buffet from $12.95 to $9.95 to benefit it's clientele!! ^ Where I come from, wheneverprices are always raised to take advantage of the demand, not lower them!! So, a big thank you to the management of this hotel and the way it treats its everyday customers!

They know this already, but a huge kudos to the new GM and his staff for the way that they treated my wife and I during our stay -- they are top notch!

Finally, the Waterfront property has a pretty decent health club, whose track and aerobic equipment apparently are available round the clock, and it also has an indoor pool that the downtown city center property does not possess.

My wife and I quite liked being a bit removed from the city center as it enabled us to walk the streets and explore the downtown core and/or take the free tram/buses to wherever we wished in the downtown core.

P.S. -- Unfortunately, the $23 valet parking charge is still present, but I have spoken with the GM and have suggested various packages that may make this less expensive.

Finally, for the uninitiated, the Portland Visitors Bureau runs a package deal that many of the hotels in Portland subscribe to, not just the Marriott properties, which includes full breakfast and parking.

The rate code, which can be input into the Marriott system online, is POV. Both Marriott properties, and a number of Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn and Fairfield Inns subscribe to this promotion.

Finally, because I used a split reward ticket for my journey to Portland this trip, I likely will return over the Labor day weekend to further explore this wonderful city and state. Inasmuch as the Eugene Hilton is on pointstretchers over the Labor Day weekend, I probably will venture downstate to see that area, especially Crater Lake and perhaps the mammoth (?) sand dunes along the Oregon Coast near Florence, Oregon.

Any information on what to do over Labor Day, as well as the latter two areas, as well as Eugene, itself, would be most appreciated!

Happy travels!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jul 10, 2005 at 12:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.