Wiki Posts
Search

W Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

W Las Vegas

A new option for LAS and a nice alternative to the Cosmo.

W Hotels Worldwide Blazes Into Sin City With W Las Vegas
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For those who want more info, there's a thread in the Starwood forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-1-2016-a.html

and not getting good reviews by the SPG folk, although it's still early yet. Hopefully it will change, because right now it makes the Cosmo look a lot better.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
and not getting good reviews by the SPG folk, although it's still early yet. .
Cheers.
If people made their travel decisions based only upon reviews of a property during the first 24 hours of a branding change, nobody would stay anywhere.

Anybody that travels knows that if you are expecting a flawless experience, never stay at a hotel the first day it is open to the public or the first day the brand changes.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If people made their travel decisions based only upon reviews of a property during the first 24 hours of a branding change, nobody would stay anywhere.

Anybody that travels knows that if you are expecting a flawless experience, never stay at a hotel the first day it is open to the public or the first day the brand changes.
Agree Although in this case it's (W) a tower of a current SPG (SLS) property that's opened. One would have thought since SLS was open a year they'd have their act together a tad more w/ the W.

We'll see how it shakes out/reviews as time goes on.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
and the hotel was a Hilton Curio property and the transition at the beginning was not smooth either. After a few weeks, things sorted themselves out. It is extremely rare to non existent that an overnight switch in brands is going to go 100% smoothly on the first day.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Location wise Cosmo is a much better choice. SLS is away from the main action, although it's on the strip. Your options would be to pick a cab or the monorail.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
It is extremely rare to non existent that an overnight switch in brands is going to go 100% smoothly on the first day.
Based on what I read in the SPG thread, the property fulfilled your prophesy quite handsomely.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The Cosmopolitan certainly is better located...but having stayed there and having had substantial hard product failures (air con failures, club noise issues, no blackout shades, no water pressure, scalding/freezing water issues, etc), I'll certainly give the W a chance once its first 6 mos are past. Even the SLS may be eventually due a chance.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The Cosmopolitan certainly is better located...but having stayed there and having had substantial hard product failures (air con failures, club noise issues, no blackout shades, no water pressure, scalding/freezing water issues, etc), I'll certainly give the W a chance once its first 6 mos are past. Even the SLS may be eventually due a chance.
SLS has been around for a year. You might want to give them a chance over the W. Reading the W thread w/ some updates, still not looking good. But again, give a bit of shake-out time.

There have been some issues w/ Cosmo, but most of the reports on this (very long) thread have more to do w/ lack of bennies & not much to do w/ hard product issues.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:18 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
SLS has been around for a year. You might want to give them a chance over the W. Reading the W thread w/ some updates, still not looking good. But again, give a bit of shake-out time.
I'd consider both the SLS and W (and Westin) if I ever must be in Vegas. Agreed on shakeout time. For both. The SLS in many ways is the tougher change and shakeout since it's an independent hotel in an unbrand. The W has strong brand standards, even if takes time to get those established.

(I've stayed also at the MO and FS, but I had such disappointing stays at both that I wouldn't necessarily return unless the rate difference was minimal or the location was a major issue.)

There have been some issues w/ Cosmo, but most of the reports on this (very long) thread have more to do w/ lack of bennies & not much to do w/ hard product issues.
Yeah, my issues with the Cosmo are not unique with regard to hard product problems with the Cosmo build. Nothing to do with benefits. I had a wraparound terrace suite, paid for, no upgrade...and the beautiful looking and spacious suite had so many things go wrong as to be unbelievable. Until you hear the staff explain how it happens often and read reviews showcasing the same problem over and over and over.

The Cosmo just isn't as great a hotel as people want to pretend it is. It looks and sounds wonderful...until you scratch just a bit and discover the cheap beneath the veneer. But the staff and service here are actually very nice.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 9, 2016 at 5:26 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The Cosmo just isn't as great a hotel as people want to pretend it is. It looks and sounds wonderful...until you scratch just a bit and discover the cheap beneath the veneer. But the staff and service here are actually very nice.
I completely disagree. My family and I just completed a stay here, and it was one of the most wonderful hotel experiences we've had, hard and soft products included. Compared to the "cheap beneath the veneer" that we witnessed when visiting other nearby properties that are supposedly at the same quality level, we felt the Cosmo was the real deal.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
and the hotel was a Hilton Curio property and the transition at the beginning was not smooth either. After a few weeks, things sorted themselves out. It is extremely rare to non existent that an overnight switch in brands is going to go 100% smoothly on the first day.
I was at the Wynn the second day it was open, and it was running like it had been operating for a decade as far as I could tell. I can't speak for Day #1 though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.