Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to prevent Marriott Rewards points expiring (after 24 months inactivity)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Marriott webpage summarising ways to keep points from expiring :
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/poi...ck=2043917&lk=1000584075

Fastest easiest way is to buy 1,000 points for $12.50US. https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...EN&product=BUY

T&Cs re: 24-month points expiration:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew.../expiration.mi

”1.6.d. Points Expiration Policy. Members must remain active in the Loyalty Program to retain Points they accumulate. If a Member Account is inactive for twenty-four (24) consecutive months, that Member Account will forfeit all accumulated Points. Members can remain active in the Loyalty Program and retain accumulated Points by earning Points or Miles, redeeming Points, or purchasing Points (as described in 2.9) in the Loyalty Program at least once every twenty-four (24) months, all subject to the exceptions described below. If a Member does not maintain an active status for five (5) consecutive years, the Member’s Account may be deactivated. Once Points are forfeited, the Points cannot be reinstated, but a Member can earn new Points, unless that Member’s Account has been deactivated.

i. Not all Points activities help maintain active status in the Loyalty Program. Examples of activities that do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Loyalty Program include, but are not limited to:
A. Gifting or transferring Points; however, converting Points to Miles or Miles to Points does count toward maintaining an active status;
B. Receiving Points as a gift or transfer

ii. Awards redeemed by a Member prior to Point forfeiture are still valid even though the Award may not yet have been fulfilled at the time of Point forfeiture. However, if those Awards are cancelled after the Points expiration date, those Points are still subject to forfeiture. For example, if a Member redeems Points for an Award Redemption Stay that occurs after the Points expiration date, and then cancels the reservation prior to arrival without having completed any qualifying activity to extend the expiration date, those Points will expire.

iii. The Points expiration policy does not currently affect Points in a Lifetime Elite Membership Account; however, the Loyalty Program may choose to apply a Points expiration policy to Lifetime Elite Membership Accounts in the future.

Note : Points expiration was paused until Dec 31 2022. As of Jan 2023, points expiration was reinstated.

Did you extend Marriott Bonvoy® Points Expiration?
To provide you ample time to redeem Marriott Bonvoy® Points, the expiration of Points was paused until December 31, 2022. At that time, your Marriott Bonvoy® Points will only expire if your Account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to prevent Marriott Rewards points expiring (after 24 months inactivity)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

I have a small amount of expiring points and not plans to stay at a Marriott any time soon.

I searched the available rewards and the best I can find is to donate them in increments of 1,000 points.

Have I missed anything else I might redeem for?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I have a small amount of expiring points and not plans to stay at a Marriott any time soon.

I searched the available rewards and the best I can find is to donate them in increments of 1,000 points.

A donation is probably the best use of the points. At a penny per point, which is maybe on the high end, the value is fairly minimal.

Good luck!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't think Marriott points expire?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by username
I didn't think Marriott points expire?
Don't recall if they do or not, but if you still wish to retain them, is the Marriott Mall still in operation?

I would think a purchase would extend their lifetime?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e

Convert them to airline miles?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While Marriott T&Cs state that points may expire after a certain time of inactivity, in practice I have never heard of them actually expiring an account due to inactivity. My wife's account sat for 10 years without any activity and when I remembered she had an account, it and all the points in it were still there and usable.

Of course that doesn't mean that at any time Marriott couldn't change their mind and actually start expiring those accounts.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Award wallet keeps sending me notices that they're going to expire. My last stay probably was around 10 years ago. I was surprised they hadn't expired.

That said, I don't have enough to convert to airline miles, so I will just donate them.

Thanks to all.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:25 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Another option, if you have a friend with points and who is just shy of an award. Marriott will allow points from one account to be pulled into another account (in 1K increments) when ordering an award. The T&Cs do state that this is a spouse benefit, but even Marriott Concierge here has stated that Marriott will do this for any 2 accounts.

There is some "paperwork" that would be required. So if that is an option for you, just call Marriott Rewards up and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to walk you through the process.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
+1 Hhoope01! The friend receiving the points must make a (real or dummy) award reservation & be short the number of points being transferred. Points may be transferred only in increments of 1000, which rule I find stupid because it will leave Mary2e with 600 useless points--unless she earns 400 first, then transfers the whole 4000.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Put it all in perspective, 3600 points is 14% of a decent, 25000 night room. I hate waste myself but even I would let this one go and take a chance that the expiration not happening rather than go through any paperwork or gyrations...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Expiring points

I have aproximatly 4000 Marriott points expiring in February. I have no planed hotel stays and no Marriott credit card. Any thoughts on keeping points from expiring.

Last edited by martinplas; Jan 20, 2015 at 2:51 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I very seriously doubt your points will go poof in February. While Marriott says your points may expire if you don't have a stay within 24 months, it's not an automatic thing.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Despite the rules, points won't expire. A friend hadn't used her Marriott Rewards acct for over 10 years and while it went dormant, and she had to call Marriott Rewards to have it reactivated, all her points were there (FWIW, she didn't have that many).

This changed as of February 26, 2015. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ow-expire.html for details.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Feb 27, 2015 at 6:09 am
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
How to Prevent Marriott Rewards Account Expiring

Can some identify the cheapest method to keep Marriott Rewards account active?

Marriott Rewards recently changed their Account Expiration criteria to some activity every 18 months.

I'm aware of the following options for activity:
1. Marriott Credit Card
2. Marriott Hotel stay

No options for IDINE or shopping online.

Anyone got any cheap ideas as my miles expire Dec 31, 2015.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
No options for IDINE or shopping online.
Really?
https://marriott.rewards.com/?src=MRMALL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.