Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick Courtyard: Worst Stay Ever

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway

I just completed two short stays at the London Gatwick Courtyard and I can honestly say that I had the worst stays ever at any Marriott property.

First stay:
- TV not working
- Given incorrect WiFi connection information by staff
- Elite Desk unstaffed (2x) on morning of departure. The first time I waited 15 minutes until the Duty Manager arrived. He assured me that this would not happen again. He said that he would ensure that a staff member would be at the Elite Desk if he needed to step away. One hour later, I came down to check out of hotel and Elite Desk was not staffed again. This time I waited 8 minutes for the Duty Manager to return.

I informed the Duty Manager that I wanted to speak directly with the GM. He told me to wait as the GM was currently in a meeting. He told me that the GM would meet with me at the conclusion of the meeting. I waited for 2 hours, asking every 15 minutes for the GM.

After two hours, I was informed that the GM had left the premises for the day. I told the Duty Manager that I do not accept his behaviour to me and that he lied to me. He then opened his smartphone and began recording the conversation on the phone.

Second stay:
- No greeter at restaurant. Sign posted indicated to "Please wait to be seated". I waited some 8 minutes and then decided to sit myself down at a table.
- Restaurant was not serving its menu due to lack of gas in the kitchen. However, I was not told this until making my order and then informed that 90% of the menu was not available. There was no effort to inform me before I made my order.
- Once again the Elite Desk was unstaffed at checkout. I waited a full 10 minutes for same Duty Manager to arrive.

I did speak with the GM on this occasion and expressed my displeasure with the Duty Manager, who promised me a meeting with GM at end of first stay. GM told me that the Duty Manager never informed him that I was waiting for him.

The Duty Manager lied to me on several occasions. He should be relieved of his duties. I have contacted Marriott Customer Care and they have started an investigation into my claims.

Last edited by bdschobel; Nov 23, 2016 at 12:56 pm Reason: Removed names
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Gigantor
- TV not working
- Given incorrect WiFi connection information by staff
- Elite Desk unstaffed (2x) on morning of departure. The first time I waited 15 minutes until the Duty Manager arrived. He assured me that this would not happen again. He said that he would ensure that a staff member would be at the Elite Desk if he needed to step away. One hour later, I came down to check out of hotel and Elite Desk was not staffed again. This time I waited 8 minutes for the Duty Manager to return.
Did you complain about the TV not working? If so what was the outcome?
What incorrect information was provided - just a non working password? How long did it take to get the correct information?
Were the other desks staffed? Why not just use them?

Originally Posted by Gigantor
I waited for 2 hours, asking every 15 minutes for the GM.
After two hours, I was informed that the GM had left the premises for the day. I told the Duty Manager that I do not accept his behaviour to me and that he lied to me. He then opened his smartphone and began recording the conversation on the phone.
I'm surprised you waited 2 hours presumably to complain about having to wait 8 minutes for the elite desk to be manned.

You don't know that the Duty Manager actually lied to you. The GM may well have been in a meeting.

If this is the worst stay you've ever had, I'd say you've been lucky.

Last edited by bdschobel; Nov 23, 2016 at 6:38 am Reason: Removed name from quote
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by nux
I'm surprised you waited 2 hours presumably to complain about having to wait 8 minutes for the elite desk to be manned.

You don't know that the Duty Manager actually lied to you. The GM may well have been in a meeting.

Your response is very selective to say the least. The GM was possibly in a meeting. I do not dispute that. The Duty Manager told me that the GM would meet with me at the conclusion of the meeting. I waited very patiently and it turns out, according to the GM that the Duty Manager never informed him that I was waiting to speak with him.

I waited a total of 23 minutes on the first stay at the unmanned Elite Desk. The other line was full with waiting customers.
The Duty Manager promised me that the Elite Desk would be staffed after our first discussion. This did not happen.

I suggest that you read the entire post and not cherrypick the words that you are clearly taking out of context.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It's unfortunate the things you ran into at the hotel and I hope they get back to you on your concerns, but I would agree it doesn't really seem all bad. I stayed at this hotel recently and had no problems. My TV also wasn't working when I arrived but when I called down they came up immediately and fixed it.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by nux
+1.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:56 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I agree with the OP a very poorly run property!!!

You are lucky they did not gas too cook with.. The restaurant food was rather poor and overly priced for a simple burger.

We also waited forever for check in. Walked to terminal because the bus was overfilled too on our return.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:31 pm

I just completed a stay there.

The WiFi access code was a typed preprinted label stuck to the key card, so I'm surprised that it was incorrect for you.

My upgraded room was exceptionally quiet, ample towels, good lighting, lots of plugs. Only room complaint was soap. It was the tiniest bar I've ever seen and there was only 1 bar.

The Check in/out I agree was poorly managed. Elite line never manned. Also they really struggled with my simple request to pay part of my bill with my residual cash. Plus like more and more hotels they don't leave the bill under the door.

The fitness center was fine. Reasonable cardio equipment in good shape (unlike its users) and good selection of weights.

The restaurant had limited extremely over priced food. A believe a cheese burger and fries was over $25 but they have a captive market. I was more frustrated by the lack of selection than the price.

The wine was also crazy inflated prices for UK (but not compared to US hotels) although the draft beer (old speckled hen) was excellent and reasonable in price.

Net net probably not as good as Gatwick Hilton, also 5 minutes further (although an easy walk) to terminal.

I'd give the hard product an A and the soft product a C-
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the additional info. Sounds like some things are good & others eh, not so good. So worst probably not; best probably not. But decent probably.

Cheers.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We need some objective criteria for these "worst stay ever" thread titles to avoid wasted clicks.

I would suggest at a minimum that the facts involve something along the lines of (a) vermin, (b) soiled linens, or (c) someone else's dirty underclothes on the bed. "I was walked in on naked" could also make the cut. A dead body would obviously qualify.

But I'm sorry this one doesn't come close. I'm really disappointed.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
We need some objective criteria for these "worst stay ever" thread titles to avoid wasted clicks.

I would suggest at a minimum that the facts involve something along the lines of (a) vermin, (b) soiled linens, or (c) someone else's dirty underclothes on the bed. "I was walked in on naked" could also make the cut. A dead body would obviously qualify.

+1. I'm disappointed too.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

I think that the behavior of the Duty Manager qualifies this stay as exceptionally poor.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:55 am

+1
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:42 am

OH MY! The Elite desk was unmanned so people didn't know you were elite and you had to talk to the riff-raff!

(And seriously you sat around a hotel for 2 hours just to complain to a manager? While I agree he should have met with you I think that's a bit much! Sounds like you were on the "what can I get for free" program and they knew it!)
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
OH MY! The Elite desk was unmanned so people didn't know you were elite and you had to talk to the riff-raff!

(And seriously you sat around a hotel for 2 hours just to complain to a manager? While I agree he should have met with you I think that's a bit much! Sounds like you were on the "what can I get for free" program and they knew it!)
There was only one check-in/check-out desk active and the line was very long.
Your personal attack is unwarranted.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
"I was walked in on naked" could also make the cut. A dead body would obviously qualify.
I literally LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.