Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

ADVICE - Weeklong stay in French Riviera

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

We are strongly considering a weeklong stay next Sept/Oct. (2017) to the French Riviera for our wedding anniversary. I would be utilizing a 7 night voucher, so we would be in the same hotel for the entire stay. We were originally considering the Riviera Marriott La Porte de Monaco, but I am concerned that the less than central location may be a problem for a weeklong stay assuming we'd like to travel around the French Riviera little bit . I am Marriott Gold, so it would also be nice to get some kind of breakfast and a decent chance of an upgraded room. Would we be better off at the JW in Cannes or the Boscolo Exedra Nice as opposed to the Monaco Marriott? Are there other options I am not thinking of? Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Suggest checking the reviews on TA, Fodors & Frommers. Enjoy.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you plan to rent a car or travel by train around the French Riviera? That makes a big difference in where you should stay.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
We liked the Boscolo in Nice.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you plan to rent a car or travel by train around the French Riviera? That makes a big difference in where you should stay.
I would expect to rent a car but really would be open to the most efficient way to get anywhere. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hnewman
We liked the Boscolo in Nice.
Great, thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
If you're renting a car, here are some approximate driving times to various tourist locations from the Riviera Marriott hotel in Monaco: Nice: 35 minutes; Ville Franche Sur Mer: 29 minutes; Eze: 20 minutes; Cagnes Sur Mer: 42 minutes; St Jean Cap Ferrat: 27 minutes; Antibes: 54 minutes; Beaulieu Sur Mer: 20 minutes; Menton: 27 minutes; St. Paul de Vence: 49 minutes; and, if you want to see a little bit of the Italian Riviera, there is Ventimiglia, Italy: 30 minutes. The driving time estimates are largely from the Marriott website.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jcarp11
I would expect to rent a car but really would be open to the most efficient way to get anywhere. Thanks!
I enjoy having a car in this area, but the train works well between larger cities, such as Nice and Monaco/Monte Carlo or if you decide to go to Marseille or Aix. I love driving along the corniches and also exploring the smaller towns where local train service can be infrequent.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Consider the JW Cannes if you want a quieter place to stay. Nice is a larger city, along with the traffic, but also more things to do. Monaco is a good location if you want to visit the Italian Riviera in addition to the French Riviera.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:12 am
Community Director Emerita

I've used Cannes as a place to stay to explore the Riviera. You're making a great choice to spend a week in the Riviera. There is so much to see and do. I have wonderful memories from our time spent there. Do check the price of parking at the hotels you are considering. It won't be cheap.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've used Cannes as a place to stay to explore the Riviera. You're making a great choice to spend a week in the Riviera. There is so much to see and do. I have wonderful memories from our time spent there. Do check the price of parking at the hotels you are considering. It won't be cheap.
There is a Sixt rent a car location inside the JW Marriott in Cannes. When I was there 2 years ago, I just rented a car on the days we did day trips and returned the car at night, no worries about paying for parking :-)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
There is a Sixt rent a car location inside the JW Marriott in Cannes. When I was there 2 years ago, I just rented a car on the days we did day trips and returned the car at night, no worries about paying for parking :-)
That's a useful tip. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:29 am

However, a daily rate from a major car rental agency in Europe can be very expensive compared to a weekly rate with unlimited miles. Moreover, if you need special features in the car, such as an automatic transmission, availability can be problematic if it's not reserved in advance to be picked up at a large airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.