Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Advance Purchase Rate, still refundable?

Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Plat member here, I'm looking at booking a room at the Marriott Tokyo next year. I see a Marriott Rewards Advance Purchase Rate, and to me, an advance purchase rate means I pay the whole thing now, and that's it. No changes, no refunds.

However, when I look at the terms, that doesn't seem to be the case. It just says a credit card is needed to hold the room, and I can cancel up to one day before checkin, like your typical refundable rate. Screenshot attached of what I'm seeing.

So, what's the deal here? Is this a goof on the site?
Attached Images  
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I saw this exact thing on a booking I completed a little over a month ago, so I grabbed it. I expected to be charged right away, but never was, so I figure I will get charged once I complete the stay. I would go ahead and move forward since you have up until the day before to cancel, and just make sure your confirmation has the same terms.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Even on an advance purchase rate, or any rate, you have 24 hrs. to cancel with no penalty. Go ahead and make the reservation and as noted above, check your reservation confirmation for the cancellation rules.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There certainly exist valid pre-paid but refundable rates. Las Vegas is well known for this. I've had my card charged the day of a reservation, then refunded weeks later when I had to cancel, with no problems, as long as it was before the stated deadline.

I'm unaware of a "any rate, you have 24 hrs. to cancel with no penalty" rule with hotels. Did I miss that somewhere?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
If you reserve a Marriott Advance Purchase Rate, the rate rules state prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking. If the rate is not prepay, then the cancellation rules are different. I made the mistake of booking a 7 night stay in Boston at the tune of 3K under a non refundable advance payment rate and made the phone call to Marriott. The CSR told me I automatically had 24 hrs. to cancel. As a side note, I have not seen this written on the Marriott site.

Last edited by jtp1947; Oct 1, 2016 at 9:04 am
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtp1947
Even on an advance purchase rate, or any rate, you have 24 hrs. to cancel with no penalty. Go ahead and make the reservation and as noted above, check your reservation confirmation for the cancellation rules.
I don't think that's universally true. I've seen it mentioned in other threads that there are some hotels with rates which have 24 hrs to cancel and some other hotels with rates that don't have any time to cancel.

And to top all that off, I've seen a rate which was available one day before check-in date, which said it was cancellable up to 7 days before check-in date. Ie, the cancellation deadline had passed 6 days by the time I made the last-minute booking.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The T&C of the rate are pretty clear. It looks like they are trying to encourage early booking, but know that the market won't tolerate pre-paying or non-refundable reservations. In other words, you're benefiting from planning ahead because maybe most of their guests reserve much closer to their stays. I'd keep the screen shot or print out the confirmed reservation, but I have always found Marriott to be honorable when it comes to the published rules and conditions.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen those advance booking rates that don't require pre-pay and are cancelable without penalty up to day before res starts. In fact I booked one for Boston later this year.

Interesting thing to note is that generally when I see these and I book them, the rate being advertised for the same hotel later gets updated to say pay in advance, non-refundable. Your original confirmation should have the details even if they change the rate terms later. They won't end up charging your card since you booked under a pay after stay term.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.