Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Upgrade Experiences - Pre-Aug, 2018 Merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, SPG

I made a reservation for four in one room for a two night stay in Atlanta. I indicted 4 guests and selected two double beds. I then called reservations and used one of my certificates to upgrade to a club room, all went smoothly. I was digging around on the website and under room details it says, 3rd and 4th person is $50 extra per day for club rooms and under rate details it says $100 extra per person for 3rd and 4th person per day.

My question is....is it built in to the rate, or do they charge after the fact? The agent that upgraded acknowledged the number of guests in my room and made no mention of additional charges for the upgrade. Any experiences?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta Platinum, US Platimum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
4 adults or some kids? I don't know you can have 4 adults in one room.

Ritz Carlton is overall very good in terms of handling this kind of situation.
If they charge extra, let them know that you were not advised in advance. They will waive the charges.

Originally Posted by Peetyrd
I made a reservation for four in one room for a two night stay in Atlanta. I indicted 4 guests and selected two double beds. I then called reservations and used one of my certificates to upgrade to a club room, all went smoothly. I was digging around on the website and under room details it says, 3rd and 4th person is $50 extra per day for club rooms and under rate details it says $100 extra per person for 3rd and 4th person per day.

My question is....is it built in to the rate, or do they charge after the fact? The agent that upgraded acknowledged the number of guests in my room and made no mention of additional charges for the upgrade. Any experiences?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 am
CG

I just learned today that you can only use those club upgrades on a rack rate room. I was denied the upgrade on a govt rate and told that no corporate rates qualified for the club upgrade.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CG
I just learned today that you can only use those club upgrades on a rack rate room. I was denied the upgrade on a govt rate and told that no corporate rates qualified for the club upgrade.
Wow - that's good info to know. Thanks for posting!

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by CG
Rack Rate or BAR? Huge difference.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:58 am
CG

Originally Posted by nba1017
Rack Rate or BAR? Huge difference.
He definitely said Rack, but may have meant BAR. Since I was just asking about the government rate I didn't pursue that distinction, but he was very clear that no corporate rates qualified. Unfortunately the "certificates" are electronic so there is no fine print there, but I went back to the original credit card application and it does say "Not valid on corporate or other promotional rates.".
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:08 pm

I have three club upgrade certificates in my Ritz Rewards account with expiration dates in the future, but I have already canceled my credit card.

I had my TA apply two certs to two rooms for a stay in January, and the confirmation email has the language, "The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card, includes upgrade at time of booking to Club Level, must pay with The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card, 100 USD hotel credit per stay, see Rate Rules" (emphasis mine). The rate rules indicate the same.

I don't want to be stuck at check-out with a bill for the rack rate of the club rooms. Does anyone have experience using a different method of payment? Maybe it's at the discretion of the front desk / manager?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Would anything booked through the ritz-Carlton website qualify for the club upgrade? I reserved an offer at the RC grand cayman that comes with breakfast and $100 daily credit... Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:41 pm

Anyone know if the "Regular Rate" (no Corporate/promotional code added) you see when checking prices online at Ritz Carlton hotel equals the "Rack Rate". Thanks.

John
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Jet Blue, UAL, IH G Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I read Flyertalk almost every day, but have never posted a reply before.

I have used the Ritz upgrade certificates a number of times and have always been able to book a Club level room using the lowest rate shown on the Ritz location website. Also, I usually have been upgraded at checkin to a room with a better view - never a suite.

Sometimes a Package rate will be lower, and sometimes the upgrade certificate is a better deal. The Ritz in Cleveland was cheaper with a buy 2 nights club level and get one free, but at the Ritz Laguna Niguel and South Beach locations it was significantly cheaper to use the certificate.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MaggieKay
I read Flyertalk almost every day, but have never posted a reply before.

I have used the Ritz upgrade certificates a number of times and have always been able to book a Club level room using the lowest rate shown on the Ritz location website. Also, I usually have been upgraded at checkin to a room with a better view - never a suite.

Sometimes a Package rate will be lower, and sometimes the upgrade certificate is a better deal. The Ritz in Cleveland was cheaper with a buy 2 nights club level and get one free, but at the Ritz Laguna Niguel and South Beach locations it was significantly cheaper to use the certificate.
How do people get these RC upgrade certs? How many do you get per year and do you use one per stay or one per night?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:53 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do people get these RC upgrade certs? How many do you get per year and do you use one per stay or one per night?
I got four with their credit card. I used one per stay.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Jet Blue, UAL, IH G Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
The Ritz Visa credit card gives me 3 certificates per year. Each is good for 1 stay of up to 7 nights.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:47 pm

I'm looking to book a trip in November 2015 to a RC and use my Chase upgrade cert (the ones you get 3 of per year). Problem is the cert currently expires October 2015. I know theyll issue new ones when those get ready to expire but can I go ahead and use one of those to upgrade the November stay I'm going to book?

If I wait until October when the new ones issue there probably wont be any club space left so I'd like to go ahead and snag the room and upgrade.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
My certs expire in April and I tried using them for a stay in September. They told me I couldn't so it seems as they can only be used for stays before the expiration date. Doesn't make sense to me since they're technically being used upon redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.