Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
well, MRS CALMSP and I ended up staying at St Ermins................and based on the room pics, I'd say we made the smart decision. As others have said, if the pricing was that much of a difference to other central hotels, I'd probably still book so myself, but wouldnt be able to please the MRS with this one.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Well, I'm here at the Xenia right now. And yes, my rooom is tight, I booked a petite double and a few days beforehand was upgraded to a classic. Looking at lighthumor and my experience would suggest this hotel has an active 1-category upgrade program, he was upgraded from a teeny single (97sqft) to a tiny double (118sqft) and I was upgraded from my booked tiny double (118sqft) to a tight double (140sqft).

For a fat lawyer with a big case it was a bit of a squeeze but worked out... just! I wouldn't have wanted a smaller room. If Gold/Plat staying with the love of your life I would suggest you book at least a terrace double (161sqft) which should see you upgraded to a king (183sqft)

Don't be put off by these measurements, once you pick the right room size you still have a bargain for london, as each room-size up to king is only a small amount extra. On my nights it went:

Petite Single Ł130
Petite Double Ł140
Classic Double Ł160
Terrace double Ł180
Exec King Ł200
Exec balcony Ł220
Deluxe King Ł240

The directly-opposite side of road Kensington Marriott was Ł200/night for an (allegedly) 250sqft Queen room but the Marriott does have a lounge. Travelling on your own to the Xenia you can get away with a classic and with the upgrade policy booking a petite double and getting a classic save yourself Ł60 against the Marriott.

With the love of your life the savings are less assuming you want a decent room size but the Xenia is a different class from the very formulaic Kensington Marriott, however if you and your partner really like the free beer/wine offered by the Kensington Marriott's lengthy lounge hours then the Marriott may be your best choice as there's no lounge at the Xenia...
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the report & evaluation. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by HookEm
The petite rooms are 9 sqm (97 sqft). Wow. I assume it has space for a bathroom! But where do you put your luggage?
Wow! I've stayed at the easyHotel Earls Court just a bit farther down Cromwell Road and paid only $60/night for a room of the same size.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Hi Marriott people. I'm part of the wave of SPG people who will be invading your forum over the next year. I've immediately started trying out the odd Marriott hotel and expect to stay maybe 20% of my time in them from now on.

I had a 3 night stay here at the Xenia recently and was impressed by the hotel. I booked a Petite Double and was told that I was upgraded to a Deluxe (largest category), though I actually think it was one lower category - either way, more generous than I had expected from the Marriott programme. The room was still small - my Tumi extended stay suitcase barely sat flat on the floor, and this was a room 50% bigger than the one I booked.

This is a very solid 4* hotel in good condition with excellent service in an ok location which has rooms at much lower rates than comparable hotels because the rooms are very small. I paid Ł126 a night which usually doesn't buy you very much in London, and certainly not a smiling, competent and helpful staff. If you're looking for a chain hotel for under Ł150 in central London I'm not sure you'll do much better.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Trip Report - 1 night stay (quick, brief)

Recently had an overnight stay in London, and typically always book at LHR, but took an earlier flight to LCY and then stayed in the city. Hotel prices for the one night I was in town were outrageous, but was able to book the Xenia for 215 GBP. Way more than what I wanted to, but only 15 GBP more than Maida Vale and 40 more than the Renaissance LHR. And considering I am crossing off as many of the Autograph properties as possible, had to cross this one off.

Check-in
I arrived at the hotel around noon and immediately was able to check-in with no one waiting and the room being ready. Because of the price and the little time I was going to be in London I booked the single bed as it was the "cheapest". At check-in, the staff recognized and thanked me for being a Platinum member. It had been quite some time since anyone at check-in had said this. With the Platinum status, they upgraded me to a queen bed with a balcony on the 4th floor (which I think is the top). Bellhop offered to assist with my bag, but had one roller-bag, so wasn't necessary.

The staff advised that with no executive lounge for breakfast in the morning, I could eat at the restaurant on-site for free or, able to accept points. I had a 07:30 flight in the morning, so I took the points (750). A welcome gesture indeed.

Room
As others have stated, these are small! And by small......small. More so than any college dorm I've been in!! Can't imagine the size of the single bed! If I had a true large suitcase that was checked, there really wouldn't be room in it to unpack and the hotel offers to store your luggage once you do unpack. The bathroom was actually a decent size and manageable. As you can see with the bed, theres one way in the bed and one way out. So, if you do have two people sleeping in the bed, make sure the heavy sleeper is against the wall.

Balcony with two chairs and a large space for 3-4 people. not much a view, even if you can look over the 6 foot wall.

Platinum Gift
Offered points or wine/cheese and took the wine. Had a little bit of work to do at night, so figured I'd take the wine as they offered to have it in my room after I was out for walking around the city and dinner, which was perfect as I returned to my room around 19:30 and on the desk in the room it was.

Overall
I did like the hotel. The bar that they have looks really cool, and meant to check it out, but was tired and didn't make it back downstairs. The on-site restaurant looked good as well but I always enjoying eating out in London. As I stated earlier, small rooms, so I really would only recommend if by yourself or possibly with a significant other if staying one-night, two nights max given the size. But the location to Gloucester Road tube stop is great as its on the Piccadilly line and I was door to LHR security in 48 minutes and only 3.10 GBP! After staying now at both the Xenia and the Marriott across the street, I recommend the Xenia as I was not impressed with the Marriott from previous stays.

okay, thats all. Short and brief TR, just like my stay!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by CALMSP
After staying now at both the Xenia and the Marriott across the street, I recommend the Xenia as I was not impressed with the Marriott from previous stays.

okay, thats all. Short and brief TR, just like my stay!
Concur, but if you want/need a lounge and gym, the Marriott across the street is a better choice.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:48 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Well, I’ve just returned from a stay at the Kensington Marriott. It’s getting quite shabby in the rooms but the lounge food remains great

There’s no question that the rooms at the Marriott are larger but the whole ambience at the Xenia is much classier and well done. The Xenia full breakfast is wonderful.

No change to my recommendations really. If you’re on a business trip and the Xenia is the cheapest remember to book at least the cheapest double, then you’ll be upgraded to a workable sized room. For a romantic break the Xenia is easily the best but book at least a classic double to get a decent room size.

If meeting space or Free lounge food and booze is a priority then Marriott Kensington is your best choice
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:30 am

Any resents stays here as PLT/TIT? Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by ehud
Any resents stays here as PLT/TIT? Thanks
I had a week-long stay as titanium last month. Booked the smallest room and was upgraded to the largest non-jr suite room. Didn't try the breakfast, service was good. It's a somewhat mediocre physical property, but the rates were much better than any other Marriott or Hyatt in London so I found it to be perfectly good value.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
I had a week-long stay as titanium last month. Booked the smallest room and was upgraded to the largest non-jr suite room. Didn't try the breakfast, service was good. It's a somewhat mediocre physical property, but the rates were much better than any other Marriott or Hyatt in London so I found it to be perfectly good value.
How is the area surrounding the property?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
How is the area surrounding the property?
The immediate area is treelined streets with some other hotels and residential buildings. The road directly in front of the hotel (Cromwell Road) is fairly busy by day but generally not too loud at night.

A number of bus lines run down Cromwell Road, and it's a reasonable walk to a couple tube stations (Gloucester Road and Earl's Court). There are a good number of shops, restaurants, pubs, etc. around the tube stations, including a Waitrose right near the Gloucester Road station.

I think it's a great location in terms of balance -- not too long a trip to the tourist areas (and some museums like the V&A can be walking distance), but without the crush of people and high prices of being closer in.

BTW, while I've had great stays at the Xenia, the nearby Marriott Hotel Kensington mentioned above was extensively renovated shortly before the pandemic and is no longer looking tired and old. It's a good alternative if you're looking for larger rooms or if you just find a better deal there.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by twa777
The immediate area is treelined streets with some other hotels and residential buildings. The road directly in front of the hotel (Cromwell Road) is fairly busy by day but generally not too loud at night.

A number of bus lines run down Cromwell Road, and it's a reasonable walk to a couple tube stations (Gloucester Road and Earl's Court). There are a good number of shops, restaurants, pubs, etc. around the tube stations, including a Waitrose right near the Gloucester Road station.

I think it's a great location in terms of balance -- not too long a trip to the tourist areas (and some museums like the V&A can be walking distance), but without the crush of people and high prices of being closer in.

BTW, while I've had great stays at the Xenia, the nearby Marriott Hotel Kensington mentioned above was extensively renovated shortly before the pandemic and is no longer looking tired and old. It's a good alternative if you're looking for larger rooms or if you just find a better deal there.
How is the weekend vs week in this location?
Old May 1, 2022, 12:02 am

How is the weekend vs week in this location?
As Kensington is a more residential neighborhood, I'd say that it's pretty much the same during the week as on the weekend (and all of London would be much the same). I didn't have any issues with noise from Cromwell Rd, even with my room directly looking out over it. As stated above, I'd stay at the Marriott across the street if the prices are the same, but when I stayed, Hotel Xenia was priced significantly lower (than the property across the street and also most other hotels in London) and it was a perfectly satisfactory visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.